• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Keyless entry antenna

Hello everybody,

So I finally found my keyless entry remote. It matches the number to the module. The remote lights up when I press it but nothing operates. followed the tips from my searches and found the blown 3amp inline fuse and replaced it. Still no luck. I used a light ground test to see if it is getting power and when I touch the tester to the white with yellow line wire the doors unlock and when I touch the green with white line wire the doors unlock. There is power but the remote does not connect to the module. My guess is that because I do not have the antenna plugged in that is why the remote is not connecting. Does that sound right!

any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

thank you,
Doug

Since the OEM master antenna is, as I vaguely recall, a high tech 8" long or so piece of wire, it should be easy to check to see if that is the source of the problem.

The keyless entry module should have a long RC radio antenna hanging from the module itself if I am not mistaken.

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 122
That's the exact picture I pulled up after seeing the plug in the module and not being able to find this wire under the dash anywhere.

i wonder if a normal "antenna" wire type deal would work as Old Guy mentioned.....

ill hit hit up the audio electronic stores tomorrow and hopefully find something that works!
thanks for the tips and info guys.

It has been 5+ years since I installed the keyless entry in my car. I really don't recall the plug / terminator on the antenna looking like the one in the photo. That almost looks like an RG 6 coax style terminator. The only reason this is important is that the terminator might have an impedance matching function built into it. If that is the case, then the simple wire antenna may not work, or may not work very well - so don't throw the unit out if it doesn't immediately work.

Give the wire trick a try. It should not hurt anything to try. I don't think you need any special antenna wire for testing. A piece of stranded and insulated 18, 20 or 22 gauge wire should work just fine for testing. The length of the wire will be more important. Try to make the test antenna about the same length as the one in the photo (more is not necessarily better in this case).

I was needing to make a spare wire as well for one of my units, simple 1 strand of wire. Would make longer but no point when car relocks after 15 seconds

I know for a fact it won't work if don't have though

Back