• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does having the OEM alarm in your car mean you also have keyless entry?

Like the title asks: Does having a factory alarm mean you also have keyless entry? My car didn't come with a fob so I just assumed it didn't have keyless entry. But I realized that maybe it was lost a while ago? (I'm like the 3rd or 4th owner.)

I've been trying to research this on the forums but I don't think anyone has asked as dumb of a question as this. I called up Acura of Bellevue and they are actually still able to get the fob from Kenwood for about $110 all said and done. But I wanted to do a bit more research into if it would even work on my car.

As a side note, my car is also doing that thing where the alarm will go off if you unlock the door with the key. Anyone have any luck with a dealership "good-willing" this TSB out-of-warranty?

I believe all NSX's built came with a factory alarm that is operated via door locks and key.

The keyless remote is an optional accessory. I did opt for the optional keyless remote, which IMHO is USELESS!
The remote will lock/arm or unlock/unarm without any visual or audible signal (unlesss you have a 05). You can DIY either a horn or light signal (there is a thread that someone made for this). Personally I don't even bother...but my car does have a 'chipped' key, which is peace of mind for me. 91's thru 96's do not have chipped keys.

rawone

Like the title asks: Does having a factory alarm mean you also have keyless entry? My car didn't come with a fob so I just assumed it didn't have keyless entry. But I realized that maybe it was lost a while ago? (I'm like the 3rd or 4th owner.)

I've been trying to research this on the forums but I don't think anyone has asked as dumb of a question as this. I called up Acura of Bellevue and they are actually still able to get the fob from Kenwood for about $110 all said and done. But I wanted to do a bit more research into if it would even work on my car.

As a side note, my car is also doing that thing where the alarm will go off if you unlock the door with the key. Anyone have any luck with a dealership "good-willing" this TSB out-of-warranty?

You should be able to tell whether you have the keyless unit. On the models with a passenger air bag, the unit actually hangs on the bottom of the panel underneath the glove box and will be easily visible (black box about 3-4" square). On pre air bag models there might have been room to fit it above the panel, or maybe it was also mounted below the panel. Should be easy enough to find either way. You need the code number off the master so that the remotes can be modified to match the master.

I would assign an exceedingly low probability to getting any dealership to do a good will repair on a car that is 24 years old; but, give it a try. You might set a record and qualify for entry into the Guinness book of records.

Buy an aftermarket alarm and a 12 volt relay. You can use the 12 volt relay to arm your oem alarm system with the aftermarket fob. That way not only do you get the aftermarket alarm but you get the oem as well with the lights flipping up, the security light on the drivers door, and the horn honks in addition to the aftermarket siren.
'Well documented wiring schematic on how to do it below. I will be doing this mod in the winter....
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/40550-factory-keyless-entry-question

[MENTION=32992]Butters[/MENTION], see post above.

Well, it looks like the consensus is to just go with an aftermarket keyless entry system. Maybe even upgrade the alarm while you're at it...

Keep us up to date on what system you go with, I also need one for my car.

Back