• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone thought of detaching the screen on a DD?

JRZ

Contributing Member
So my main goal is to have an all-in-one unit that does all the modern things that help us enjoy the driving experience better/safer. Double dins are the most affordable way to get this done. Only thing is I like the screen up top in the Navpod and don't like the DD clutter in the center console. I plan on filling the OEM radio openings to make a nice deleted plain look. The two issues are that a DD would not fit in the Navpod because it's too deep and that there's going to be a lot of wasted space where the old radio use to be. My idea is to deface a DD and put the body deep down behind the ashtray and run an extension ribbon to route the face in the Navpod. I don't have a DD to play with so just checking if there are any like minds that have my same vision. If no one has input then I'll probably order one to experiment. Suggestions welcome.

Looks great. Was it a lot of work to separate the face? I'm thinking about the AVIC 8100NEX. Would you be able to find out if that your 60 pin cable would also work for it? This project is now set in stone. TIA RAW

The face was easy to separate. I wouldn't know if the face is attached with the same cable, that is something that even pioneer's tech dept will not know. You will find out when you start to take the deck apart. Why the $1400.00 deck? Most of the functionality you will get will be from your phone.

Actually the Pioneer deck that I used was my 2nd choice, my 1st choice was a Alpine. The Alpine didn't work because it needed a cable that I couldn't find or a special plug and 2 60 pin ribbon cables. BTW...If you are going to put the other part of the deck where the OE deck, you can use shorter ribbon cables. I used a 5 foot ribbon cable because I put the other part below the glove compartment. I have a DVD deck in the OE area.

rawone

I found some around $800. I'm really getting this Pioneer is because I wanted the bigger 7" screen with no knob and compatibility with the only good looking steering wheel remote (CD-SR100). I don't use the ugly strap, rather strong double sided tape. Worked and looked good for years in my other car. Thanks for the help RAW. I'll be ordering this deck soon to work on over the winter.

Back