• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hold my hand...

I'm about to pull the trigger on this wheel/tire setup. I've read everything I can find, but I want to be as sure as I can be that I'm not going to have any interference issues.

'92, with stock '04 suspension units (slightly stiffer springs and shocks, stock ride height). I do have a set of Swift springs I'd like to install, would drop it .8"

Stock brakes, not an issue.

Wheels are Enkei RPF1, Tires are Yokohama AD08R.

Fronts 17X8 +45, with 215/40-17

Rears 18X10 +38, with 255/35-18

Feedback re: fitment and clearance appreciated, before I place the order. Thanks!

Last edited:
As far as I know the '04 suspension is softer (assuming its from a Targa). According to the NSX Wiki (http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Model_Information):

At low rates of wheel travel, T front rebound and compression rates are 7% softer. At higher rates, T rebound is 21% softer, compression is 32% softer. At high rates, T rebound is 15% softer, compression is 21% softer. Rear suspension varies similarly, while the T's (hollow) anti-roll bars are smaller and have less wall thickness

In terms of your sizing, you are pretty much spot on for the front. The only thing I would consider is changing the 18x10 with the 18x9.5 +38 instead. You'll have a lighter wheel and the tire won't be nearly as stretched (which a 255 will be pretty stretched on a 10"). The only change is it'll be 6mm less flush with the fender but if you're not lowered, this is probably a good thing.

One other thing to consider is doing a 265/35/18. I personally like 265/35/18 on a 18x9.5" wheel.

Last edited:
Thanks Adrian. I have a spring rate and compression/rebound rate chart for the various years on an other computer, and that says that the later OEM units ar slightly stiffer on both fronts. I'll post that tomorrow. But the advice on the rear width will be considered - thanks!

Here's one of my old setups that was 18x9.5 +38 with a Dunlop Starspec Z1 in 265/35/18. It's lowered here on Eibach Springs.
CIMG0142.jpg

CIMG0143.jpg

Wow, that looks damn near perfect, very convincing :-> Looks like I could go with this combination and still be able to use the Swift springs. Really appreciate the input Adrian!

Correction, my suspension units are actually from a low-mileage '99 base NSX. But this is the spring/shock rate chart I referenced, and it shows slightly stiffer spring rates and compression/rebound rates for the later units. Also the Swift Sport springs (2nd chart) only lower the rear by .6" (front is still .8") and the spring rates are a little stiffer than the later stock units I'm running now.

Pretty sure I'll go with your 9.5 and 265 recommendation for the rear. Thanks again Adrian!

Just for comparison, this is 265s on 10.5 rims.

Attachments

• EnkeisOnCar2.jpg
    EnkeisOnCar2.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 82
Just for comparison, this is 265s on 10.5 rims.

What's hard to make out is the amount of tire stretch. Basically you can assume the tire would stretch 0.5" on both the front and rear of the rim from what you see on my squared up 265 on the 9.5".

What's hard to make out is the amount of tire stretch. Basically you can assume the tire would stretch 0.5" on both the front and rear of the rim from what you see on my squared up 265 on the 9.5".

Got it, completely understand. The rim width range for the 255s is 8.5 - 10". For the 265s it's 9 - 10.5". So in either case, 255s on 10" or 265s on 10.5", you're at the limit which I guess is why Tire Rack is still OK with the fitment. But the ideal is to be in the middle of the range, which is why 265's on 10s is good. If I have this all straight :->

Excellent, thanks! Just the look I want.

I'm holding off on this expenditure until I see how the election affects the business atmosphere; holding on to cash for now. But when I pull the trigger I know what I'll be ordering. Thanks guys!

I have the rpf1 with advan Ad08R's 17x8 +45 18x9.5 +38 with bilstiens with H&R springs (about 1 1/2" lower then stock)

Had to run 3mm spacer on rears with stock brakes.

Love it!!!

25079189915_980c4d3676_k_d.jpg

Last edited:
Back