• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally got my car - initial review

Picked up my Valencia Red / Saddle Brown NSX a few days ago.
These are my initial observations after driving it in the city, suburbia, and some of my favorite country/fun roads.

The car looks fabulous. Parked next to my 458 and AMG GTS, it looks every bit as exotic and stylish.
The quality of the paint is far better than any of the European cars.

The suspension and chassis are excellent. Very solid. Very fluid. Easy to drive briskly. Even with the Continental tires, it handles beautifully in brisk street driving. Very predictable. Quite comfortable.

Engine sound is quite good, but it has to be revving above 5000 rpm to sound tingling.
Engine response is very linear, with a crescendo also starting at around 5000 rpm.

Perhaps because I am accustomed to driving high torque, high horsepower cars, my initial reaction was that this car did not “feel” all that fast (subjectively/seat-of-the-pants). So I attached my accelerometer and did a few rolling “pulls”. (I check and record G-force in each gear for all my cars as a reference. I find that rolling G-force is an excellent objective measurement of how much acceleration a car actually generates).
The results were interesting. The NSX has exactly the same level of G-force in each of the first 4 gears as my AMG GTS, and my original GT-R. (Not surprising I suppose, as all 3 cars have approximately similar horsepower and torque, and all weigh 3800-3900 lbs.).
Specifically, G-force was approx. .75 in 2nd, .60 in 3rd, .50 in 4th and .40 in 5th. Gear ratios (therefore torque multiplication) are also in the same ballpark.
The difference in seat-of-the-pants “feeling” comes from the sound and the feel of each car. The AMG sounds and feels like a big block muscle car, with lots of (good) noise and vibration; the GT-R was tuned to feel and sound very raw (ie. never smooth); but the NSX is tuned to sound and feel quieter and smoother, so it “feels” less quick.

Magazine tests seem to back that up. All 3 cars seem to do the ¼ mile in about 11 seconds with a terminal velocity in the 125 mph range – so pretty good correlation.

The other thing that I found surprising was that the “torque-fill” from the electric motors is fairly modest, and that the V-6 has quite a bit of turbo lag, so it takes a while for the combination to come fully on boil. By comparison, the AMG (surprisingly) has far less lag, and comes on stronger and quicker. The GT-R on the other hand, had lots of turbo lag, but when it came on at about 4000 rpm, all hell broke loose. So interesting differences in tuning philosophies.

I recall that Acura had benchmarked the Ferrari 458 and Porsche GT-3 among other cars. It seems that in the end they chose to more closely mimic the feel and behaviour of the Audi R8, in terms of focusing on “goodness” and “competent” rather than excitement and twitchiness (the 458 and GT3 are very twitchy, but also very exciting).

There are a few areas for improvement:
As this is a $200K vehicle positioned as an “everyday supercar”, and it’s a Honda, it seems to me that the items listed below need to be better addressed:

The optional power seats have no up/down adjustment and no seat-bottom angle adjustments. Need to offer that at this price point, like every $35K Honda has.

The car is very wide, needing the mirrors to be folded to safely get into tight spots, yet the mirrors do not have a power folding function. (I don’t want to have to get out of my everyday supercar on a rainy day after I pull out of the garage, to unfold the mirrors).

The doors on the car are a foot thick, yet they did not use that opportunity to provide what could have been very large and useful (and much needed) storage space in the doors. (Some Porsches have flip-up arm rest doors that result in significant storage space under the armrest – an area that is otherwise wasted).

The 24 hour news and traffic radio channel in my area is on AM radio – yet Acura decided to not have AM available (What were they thinking?? I can’t imagine how that even saves any money).

Navigating the touchscreen would have been much easier if they provided a rotary wheel, or mouse function, so that one is less distracted looking at and clicking on the touchscreen, and not always getting dirty fingerprints all over the screen.

The pre-set dynamic settings are decently judged, but I have a strong preference to be able to customize my own settings. For example, I always drive this car in Track mode because I want the maximum engine and transmission responsiveness, but I find that on that setting, the suspension can be quite stiff over rough roads, and the engine sound tends to drone quite a lot when just cruising along at a constant speed. I would like to see customizable options, and/or ability to override the pre-sets to suit individual tastes. (Mercedes and BMW do quite a good job of this).

Overall, a very commendable effort by Acura, on their fist attempt in 20 years, at a high end sports car. Hopefully they will make some tweaks quite quickly (as McLaren did when they came out with their road cars a few years ago), to rectify some of these initial shortcomings and to further improve the car.

Attachments

• 14786392374011.jpg
    14786392374011.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 307
  • 14786392371810.jpg
    14786392371810.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 286
Congratulations!

What city are you in?

Could you please comment on your experience with your dealer and Acura from getting an allocation through delivery?

I haven't seen an NC1 in person yet but from all the pics it
looks like the paint is way smooth. Nice to hear a first-hand
report that it is indeed that good. The original NSX had good
paint and it's nice that the tradition continues.

Reading about how both McLaren and Ford have had QA problems
with paint on aluminum makes me appreciate that this was never
a problem on the NSX.

Thanks for all the rest of the review too, not just the part about paint :)

Nice review. As far as the lack of AM radio, it seems that other manufacturers are having issues as well. The electric motors and associated electrics can apparently interfere with AM radio reception to an unacceptable degree.

Great review, thanks.

You're the first to mention the slight turbo lag. Others have mentioned that there is virtually no lag and it's instant torque. I suppose that hot Turbo V8 is the way to go.

The only previous turbo I owned was a Volvo 850R wagon and that had the classic turbo lag from it's 1996 time frame.

Punch the gas, the turbo spools up and then the power kicks in.

Power delivery in the NSX is much more immediate than that.

I do think the car's acceleration will leave different impressions based on the speed you are at when you punch it. My favorite is how it goes from 50 to 100 and above on the highway in sport + mode

You're the first to mention the slight turbo lag. Others have mentioned that there is virtually no lag and it's instant torque. I suppose that hot Turbo V8 is the way to go.

Turbo lag is there for sure-- especially at low RPM / light engine load. If in Sport+ or Track, with revs above 4K, car feels as responsive as a NA car. But if loping along in "D," especially in Sport, if you hammer it, it takes three beats before you get full power: (i) drops multiple gears (which is NOT
"instant"), (ii) starts to pull with EV while turbos spool and (iii) turbos spool and you get full thrust. It is a very easy to perceive three stage process. But if in Track+ and you hammer it, it immediately pulls and doesn't stop pulling.

So when you talk/ask about "turbo lag," you need to be specific about the context.

Also, as I have noted before: the NSX *DOES NOT* have "instant torque like a Tesla." It is nothing like that.

I picked mine up this weekend. Everything you are saying is true. The car is absolutely amazing and comfortable. I do feel that for all the room in the door and around the interior, it could have more normal storage for personal items ..Like a wallet, other phones just normal junk. Driving in sport+ or track, It does drone around 3k. That can be adjusted by manually shifting to a higher gear. In those modes it holds the gears longer. We did push the limits of the trunk. A Small carry with wheels will fit if the top goes in first and pushed to the passenger side wheel well. luggage wheels to the center of the trunk. We had a 2.5 hour drive back home in the rain..That sucked only because of it raining all the way there. Car did great.

I picked mine up this weekend. Everything you are saying is true. The car is absolutely amazing and comfortable. I do feel that for all the room in the door and around the interior, it could have more normal storage for personal items ..Like a wallet, other phones just normal junk. Driving in sport+ or track, It does drone around 3k. That can be adjusted by manually shifting to a higher gear. In those modes it holds the gears longer. We did push the limits of the trunk. A Small carry with wheels will fit if the top goes in first and pushed to the passenger side wheel well. luggage wheels to the center of the trunk. We had a 2.5 hour drive back home in the rain..That sucked only because of it raining all the way there. Car did great.

sweet.....xpo musta been more fun and informative for you...

Way to go Charles...bring it up to my place and since I couldn't wait and opted for a Ford, we can do some spirited drives and/or VIR.

I had it ordered. I could have had it for xpo but by the time they would have delivered to my house, it was gonna be a 12am Thursday morning arrival. So we left it at the dealership till this weekend. BUT yes. It solidified the reason why I bought it.

WTF, you never said a word!!! First I help you get the proper "H" for your car, and you don't even hint that you're getting a '17!!! Enjoy the hell out of it!!! When do the "mods" start!!!

Acura of Augusta folks were great. Took us to dinner after the deal and ended up closing the restaurant. Vin 257, classic 352.

Congratulations Charles!!!

We'll be up your way soon, so we'll definitely have to meet up and check out your new beauty.

Last edited:
Back