• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rolex 24 hr.

Thinking about going to the Rolex the end of Jan. Anybody here going or have done in the past? Any tips on best viewing spots, things to check out in the area etc. would be appreciated.

pm rso

Thinking about going to the Rolex the end of Jan. Anybody here going or have done in the past? Any tips on best viewing spots, things to check out in the area etc. would be appreciated.

I go every year. Every spot is a great viewing spot but the "best of the best" is the International Horseshoe turn. That is in the infield portion of the road course and it has bleachers on the side.

Your admission ticket gives you access to the entire track so you can go sit in the stands along the front straight or walk around the infield course. Get the full access pass so you can walk around the garages and get next to the cars so make sure your ticket includes the garage wristband.

For an added bonus, they do a 5k Charity run/walk on Saturday morning at sunrise where for only $10 I believe you can run or walk the entire track. I highly recommend that you do that and see if you can stand on the banking!

You can come and go as you wish all 4 days so at a minimum you should be there for pre-race grid walk, start of the race, grab dinner and be back for the fireworks at 9, grab a few hours sleep and then catch them at 3 or 4 am, go for breakfast and be back for sunrise.

I don't know if any tickets are left but you should try to get a combo pass that includes infield parking so you don't need to take the shuttle to get back to your car. This is best to be able to pack a cooler in your trunk, change of clothes and give you a place to take a nap or stay dry if it rains.

IMG_6888-XL.jpg

i-BQpQR9g-X2.jpg

i-VHSS2X4-X3.jpg

i-rSdBvF4-X2.jpg

i-mSVgvPN-X2.jpg

i-f7M5WW8-X2.jpg

i-NkDrwSL-X2.jpg

i-KCvxn67-X2.jpg

IMG_6501-XL.jpg

IMG_6899-XL.jpg

i-jWf8H97-X2.jpg

i-6QxxwPM-X2.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Events/2017/Rolex-24-At-DAYTONA/Rolex-24-At-Daytona.aspx

FOUR-DAY WRISTBANDS

Enjoy four days of intense sports car racing for only $95 – a savings of $54! Be there when the cars unload from the haulers to the minute the checkered flag waves. This fan-favorite package provides race enthusiasts with an up-close, insider’s view of the garages during the frenzied pace of North America’s premier sports car event.

This unbelievably-priced package includes:

• Walk-in access to the infield & general admission stadium seating (Thursday-Sunday, January 26-29)
• Daily garage and Fanzone access

p.s. as expected I just noticed that infield parking is sold out but there is shuttle from the outfield parking areas

I would recommend buying the 4 day parking pass outside Turn 4:

LOT 5 PARKING

Car parking is available for purchase in Lot 5, located outside the Turn 4 tunnel. Lot 5 is not in the infield and a separate admission is required to access the infield and stadium. Space in Lot 5 is limited so order early. Strictly car parking ONLY. No RV's, 5th wheel vehicles or over-sized vehicles of any kind will be permitted.

4-Day Pass (Thursday-Sunday, January 26-29)...... $40

2-Day Pass (Saturday & Sunday, January 28-29).... $25

Last edited:
Wow, that's great info Bob. Thank you very much. I'll get on this sooner than later. I expect rooms will be in short supply that weekend.

There will be a group of us from the Northeast making our annual trek down there and we can usually be found near the international horseshoe turn during the races. If you make it down let me know so we can hook up and feel free to join us in our annual saturday night tradition for dinner at the Ale House across from the track.

I've gone the last few years and it is surreal. Especially at 3am, with the Ferris Wheel lit up, some classes having yellow-tinted headlights, and more recently, many of the cars festooned with LED lighting along their roof contours.

The only thing I miss is with Daytona Rising project completed this year, spectators can no longer get right up on the fence on main straight between the bus stop and Turn 1. It used to be so cool standing there with the cars flying by 180-200 MPH only a few feet away, before we'd get shuffled along by security.

Sitting in the bleachers at the high-speed kink in the infield is also pretty impressive. Even the production-based cars are honking through there. And of course the noise is wondrous.

The infield is also an event, what with places to visit, such as manufacturers' displays, vendors, car corrals and such. I always visit the Grassroots Motorsports/Classic Motorsports tent during the weekend.

Sorry, I usually try to keep my posts apolitical, but I begged off anything having to do with International Speedway Corp when Brian France (and Bill and Chase Elliott) endorsed DT for president, and promised I would never attend another event that put any of my $ into ISC's pocket, but I made an exception for visiting Sebring, an ISC track, for NSXPO. I have, though, fulfilled my promise of not watching a single lap or reading a single article about 2016 NASCRAP season. I will have to soften my stance. I shouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face. I may relent and go to the Rolex 2017 after all, although I have made zero arrangements to do so. It might be too late for lodging, unless I can find a place to park my travel trailer near the track. It's way too late to score a spot in the infield.

But, yes, do go. It's a great event.

If any of our members are going to attend, let me know and I will see if I can add you to our group who will be meeting with Michael Shank and the NSX race team at the track. I have been supporting the team for many seasons and actually got a "shout out" from them on their livery during the Lime Rock race in 2013. Michael said he would be happy to meet with us.

i-RjZZ4CD-X2.jpg

i-m5B4v7h-X2.jpg

111516_IMSAtest_DIS_bc53998.jpg

Oh, alright, put in my name. I'll figure out lodging somehow. And Bob, can you add in my race buddy? I'll PM you his name.

Registration is open for the Daytona 5K Race/Walk the saturday morning of the race.

http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Events/2017/DAYTONA-5K/DAYTONA-5K.aspx

This is a great opportunity to experience the track by being on the track the morning of the race. My knees are shot so I just do the walk but it is a lot of fun walking the track at sunrise and it's for a good cause too. Good luck trying to climb the banking and being able to stand at the top.........

Bob, I won't be doing the Conti race on friday, but I'll be in the 24 with Ford in the #68 . Stop by and say hi! It'll be great to see you again.

I saw the new ride. Congrats! Makes it easier for me to get pics of you since I now have 24 hours to shoot!

My daughter is taking an"sick day" at school to come down with me again. We will stop by.

Bob, I won't be doing the Conti race on friday, but I'll be in the 24 with Ford in the #68 . Stop by and say hi! It'll be great to see you again.
[MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION] Billy are you in the same garage as Scott Dixon?

I have spoken with Mike Shank (the NSX GT3 team owner) and he has invited us to stop by on Friday so I tentatively scheduled us for some point between 8-10 am on Friday (the other alternative was 1-2 but it can get crazy during lunch times).

If you would like to meet the owner (and hopefully some drivers - depends upon meet and greet commitments) and see the cars up close please PM me your name, cell number and if you are bringing any guests. You will need the garage access tickets to be able to get into paddock area.

Back