• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bought canadian nsx-stuck in CA b/c needs letter of recall- will pay$$

Dear primers, i am in a big jam I recently bought a 92 nsx from a private owner in Toronto. I hired tfx to handle customs and shipping. Paperwork has been excruciating to collect but everything is done including a letter of compliance from acura(the car was originally a US sold vehicle) Yhe only thing remaining is a letter from a dealer on letterhead and signed that says the car has had all recalls completed. I contacted American honda/acura they will not issue this and i printed off the website indicating that there were no recalls but the shipper/broker said it will not work without letterhead from a dealer and signature. Does anyone have a good contact at an acura dealer that can put out a letter. I am willing to pay shop rates for whatever time/effort it takes. Anyleads much appreciated

Last edited:
I don't think any dealer would want to do that without inspecting the vehicle in question. What you should do is to get it 'certified' by the dealer in Canada.

Interesting thing its complete public access but customs wants the signature i assume so that this wouldnt be a doctored form. Maybe i contact the canadian members and pay to have them go drive it to a dealer. Can mods move this to canadian section

Interesting thing its complete public access but customs wants the signature i assume so that this wouldnt be a doctored form. Maybe i contact the canadian members and pay to have them go drive it to a dealer. Can mods move this to canadian section

Not sure the moderators have time to view every post and move per your request.
Why not repost in the Canadian section yourself?

Good point. I got a nice p.m. today from one of the head honcho's in the Canadian area hopefully we can get something done , lesson to me and others, the importation process although sounds easy on the surface can run into multiple speed bumps that only appear after you hit them ...

From what I remember, Canadian RIV site stated that: Honda releases recall clearance letters to RIV directly during importation of US cars into Canada. IIRC, it was either Honda and/or dealers don't release the document or RIV will only accept it from Honda. This info was posted within RIV's list of "admissible cars" I'm not sure how or if this info, might affect your search, as you're importing in the other direction....

That is a pain. Those recall clearance letters can be a problem.

Where is the car now and where are you?

When I imported my Porsche from the US I had the letter a condition of the PPI. Was a PPI done at an Acura dealer?

As a backup, I called a bunch of random Pcar dealers in the US and found a couple who were willing to print out from their machines that there were no recalls and they faxed it to me. Do that also even if it isn't on letter head because the Canadian equivalent would have accepted those in the end.

Good luck!

I think this broker is being difficult. I printed off the Acura website with the VIN and they say they won't accept that which I think is bull but I guess I'm stuck but I have a great person on it tomorrow

Since you have an US origin vehicle, there may be a problem getting a Canadian dealer to do this for you because it may be impossible given their information system. I have a US NSX that got the recall clearance from the US vendor when it was imported years ago. Out of a matter of curiosity, when the car was in for some routine servicing, I asked the dealership service rep if they could check to determine whether there had been any recalls in the period since the car was imported. She said that the VIN came back as not found / invalid or something like that which led to the question about the origin of the car. Her comment was that the Acura Canada information system cannot access info about US origin vehicles.

Acura US might not give you a recall clearance; but, as BioBanker did, you may be able get a clearance from a US Dealership. That may involve the payment of some fee for the service.

Last edited:
Mr old guy, i do recall speaking to acura canada when i was trying to get the letter of compliance and you are correct they couldnt find the vin in their system. I just remembered this conversation. Thank you. I willcheck with my local dealer if not maybe a US dealer might be able to help on this site. Thanks again for jogging the memory banks!

Had a similar issue when importing Ducati. I ended up having to ship the bike to a dealer that would do it for me.

so you are bringing a car to the US? this is the first time i hear an American saying he needs that letter, always needed when importing to Canada but the other way around you need it too? Are you sure your broker really need this? try to see with other people who did the same thing if they were asked for it.

Thanks for all the input. I pulled some strings at
the
local dealer andngot the letter

yes this was the 9000 miler. Its a time machine, i ve already started looking for a 30k mile example that i can drive. Im a collector that drives them so this may not be the best fit. Everything looks original but needs paint correction and front lip. Tuckedaway in garage hopefully start the detail process next week.

Last edited:
Back