• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ok. I'm ready for more power. Anything in development?

Anybody aware of anything tangible in the pipeline in terms of performance mods? I'm wondering when (or if) we will see some tune and/or bolt-on type mods.

I would talk to Chris from sos in Arizona, he was at xpo..I think he has been looking for some beta testers...

.and Adnan was at xpo as well...:wink:

Reading through the Rolex 24 post, the gt3 cars made 550hp (all motor) on a basically stock engine, internals. turbo, and intercooler I know its a race car BUT 50hp more is definitely doable with our cars "as is"... Minimal modding and no warranty issues installing an Air filter, which are available from K&N, a higher flowing exhaust, etc. That will free up some power. After 50mph and the electric motors kick off. It would be nice to stick with that r8 v1o plus from a 60mph roll on. .....Not that I really care but it would be nice to have it on hand. BTW does anybody know how to remove the air filter covers? They are under the left and right engine covers but how do you remove the clips to get it out to replace the filter?

Last edited:
I assume that the 550HP in the race car is driven by the rules / restrictor plate and not any limit on what power they can make with the stock engine.

I think a tune and perhaps exhaust could boost Max HP from the ICE-- and that would show up on the dyno and 1/4 mile trap speeds (and, as you suggest, races from a roll). But I think it would "feel" faster (and *be* faster around the racetrack) if it also had even more low-end EV grunt.

In "Track Mode," I think the programming is way too conservative for EV assist (presumably due to design requirement of consistency under all scenarios). Battery level RARELY dips below 50% charge. If cooling/thermal allows it, I'd like to see a much more aggressively discharge/charge envelope. At the end of the main straight, I don't need 50% of the battery in reserve. Car should be more aggressive.

I assume that the 550HP in the race car is driven by the rules / restrictor plate and not any limit on what power they can make with the stock engine.

I think a tune and perhaps exhaust could boost Max HP from the ICE-- and that would show up on the dyno and 1/4 mile trap speeds (and, as you suggest, races from a roll). But I think it would "feel" faster (and *be* faster around the racetrack) if it also had even more low-end EV grunt.

In "Track Mode," I think the programming is way too conservative for EV assist (presumably due to design requirement of consistency under all scenarios). Battery level RARELY dips below 50% charge. If cooling/thermal allows it, I'd like to see a much more aggressively discharge/charge envelope. At the end of the main straight, I don't need 50% of the battery in reserve. Car should be more aggressive.[/QUOTE
100% agree with you. I tried launch control the other night. This car pulls hard. it needs more Engine power after that

I just took delivery of my 17' on Saturday the car is amazing. Would love to hear about any new upgrades especially lowering the suspension and an exhaust. Here s a pic of my new beauty. 20170204_122413.jpg

[MENTION=6374]chris[/MENTION]. I posted something in the other fb site too. Can you look at what gains if any from a free flowing air filter like the k&n. Which is available for our cars. The reason why I say if any gains to be made.I had cls63 all motor. Switching that air filter out gain nothing from the stock filter.

If you guys choose to go with an oiled air filter I would be very cautious...my TB got gunked up over time and started giving me hunting idle issues on my 96, I have since been using the paper filters.

Chris said the same thing. He recommended a dry filter. Who makes a dry high flow filter?

Last edited:
Mod bug has hit hard. Hope we get some aftermarket support soon.

ECU flash (prefer reversible flash via OBDII), high flow cats, exhaust, air filter. The NSX should be absolute monster with ecu flash alone. This car feels like it can easily handle 700hp and still have enough traction on none trofeo R tires.

Also a simple add on carbon fiber front lip spoiler that extend the length of the car slightly (1.5 to 2 inches) will give the car leaner optical effect, sportier rear diffuser will also help.

Last edited:
Check out the new catalog for 2017 NSX:
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/nsx-2017-on.html

Downpipes, exhaust, charge tubes, with other power modifications in development. Check out this write up about testing procedures:
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/blog/powertrain-performance-testing-the-2017-nsx/

Here's an important point:
The results speak to the complexity of the new NSX powertrain and the requirements for accurate testing controls for reliable results. With how easy the 2017 NSX is to manipulate performance numbers - it's wise for customers to understand how tests are performed and if they were done with best practices to ensure accurate results of performance losses or gains. With out properly cooling the NSX, monitoring engine sensors, and monitoring electric motor output - performance gains from adding aftermarket parts can not be accurately reported.

Dyno testing is a great tool for tuners during development, but horrible for judging real-world performance on street and track. I prefer tuners who publish A/B numbers from instrumented road testing: 0-60, 1/4 mile and, most importantly, 60-130MPH pulls. The signal/noise ratio (especially when comparing numbers from different tuners) is pretty bad.

That said, I really truly appreciate Science of Speed's investments here. Wonderful to have their support. I expect I'll being buying a lot of stuff from you guys.

it's wise for customers to understand how tests are performed and if they were done with best practices to ensure accurate results of performance losses or gains.

Check out the new catalog for 2017 NSX:
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/nsx-2017-on.html

Downpipes, exhaust, charge tubes, with other power modifications in development. Check out this write up about testing procedures:
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/blog/powertrain-performance-testing-the-2017-nsx/

Here's an important point:
The results speak to the complexity of the new NSX powertrain and the requirements for accurate testing controls for reliable results. With how easy the 2017 NSX is to manipulate performance numbers - it's wise for customers to understand how tests are performed and if they were done with best practices to ensure accurate results of performance losses or gains. With out properly cooling the NSX, monitoring engine sensors, and monitoring electric motor output - performance gains from adding aftermarket parts can not be accurately reported.

Any idea when a tune may be released? :)

Back