• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Have prices peaked?

I just got my NSX a couple of months ago, but have been watching the prices for about a year. I bought what I considered and still consider a fair deal.

the prices seemed to have stabilized and decreased a little over the past month. It could be from the fall starting or maybe everyone and his brother seems to be selling.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...ue&sortType=undefined&sortDirection=undefined

I looked at the one in OH and in Chicago both were basically the same car( same year, similar mileage ect.) and both seem to been there awhile, over 90 days, and had a price reduction OH at 38 and Chicago 42.

Also so many of the cars have been for sale over 90 days. I also looked at eBay and not many have sold recently compared to not sold.

Also so on this website seem many are listed and not many sold.

Any thoughts?

Doubt it. Probably just Fall kicking in and decent supply. I put down my long term thoughts on NSX prices over 5-10 years here and the lower tier (condition 3-4) are getting close to their 5 year projection, but not quite up to their 10 year projection, so there may be a bit of a flat line over the next few years after the recent spike. The rarer examples, (especially low mileage) though will likely continue a bit of a rise.

I think condition plays a role. The super clean low miles one owners are always going to be collect items. Now the super high mileage, salvage/rebuilt, riced out, auto, NSX with tons of issues will vary. I think most of us can agreed the hype over the new NSX also played a part for the increase in the pricing trend on the 1st gen. Its going to be hard to tell what will happen once the hype dies out. Will prices still increase, stabilized, or decreased? I think only time will tell.

I watch about 3-4 specific cars in the market place. What I see is that an accumulation of two or three events (like the launching of the new NSX, an article in Hemmings Motor news, a restoration/rebuild on a TV show, and maybe a high/record price for some celebrity/special model) drives market interest. The prices go up, the supply of used ones goes up to meet the new attention/demand...prices come down due to competition (except for the very rare in-a-wrapper collectables).

Prices peaked in 2015 with the rest of the car market. Look at some of the Bring a Trailer NSX sales that year for evidence.

They came down during the first half of 2016 (again, with the rest of the car market), plateaued, and now they are on the way back up. If the economy stays strong they will continue to appreciate in the short term. Long term, they will absolutely appreciate, quite a lot in my opinion.

I should caveat that all my comments on pricing only pertain to the market for stock, unmolested, low-miles cars, as I admittedly don't know the rest of the market.

I stopped by to inquire about the one in OH since it's local to me. The car was already sold, and the dealership said it was sold within a few days (not sure if that is true). I asked about the condition and was told that it was not in the best condition. The previous owner kept it outside with no cover and the paint was a bit rough. The sales person sounded very unimpressed with the condition of the car.

Judging by Hagerty's value chart it looks like the values have plateaued since January.

:biggrin:
Wait everybody, Larry said the stock market peaked-call your brokers...

I think I heard that on the news this morning, something about authoritative sources from NC and NY advising that the Dow had peaked and it was time for US investors to start reducing their equity positions.

Here's a question. With the recent Gen 2 prices plunging from dealer incentives, will that have any influence on the current Gen 1 values?

Here's a question. With the recent Gen 2 prices plunging from dealer incentives, will that have any influence on the current Gen 1 values?

IMO it will have precisely zero impact on Gen 1 values. The Gen 1 & Gen 2 cars are not competitors. One is a new hybrid supercar with almost 600 horsepower, the other is a semi-classic car purchased, at this point, for nostalgia and an old-school analog driving experience.

I think I heard that on the news this morning, something about authoritative sources from NC and NY advising that the Dow had peaked and it was time for US investors to start reducing their equity positions.

HaHa once Larry B opines about the market...look out:eek:

IMO it will have precisely zero impact on Gen 1 values. The Gen 1 & Gen 2 cars are not competitors. One is a new hybrid supercar with almost 600 horsepower, the other is a semi-classic car purchased, at this point, for nostalgia and an old-school analog driving experience.

At the end of the day I guess you either want the Gen 1 or 2...or both ;)

Just that 02-05 low mile unicorns are listing for around the same price as a brand new Gen 2. Not exactly but pretty close.

At the end of the day I guess you either want the Gen 1 or 2...or both ;)

Just that 02-05 low mile unicorns are listing for around the same price as a brand new Gen 2. Not exactly but pretty close.

There are true NSX aficionados (the types to be on this forum) who will want both or trade one for the other, but in the car market as a whole they aren't competitors. Most of the guys looking at the new NSX are coming out of their 997/991 Turbos, Audi R8 V10s, Gallardos, etc.

To answer the question this thread poses, NSX prices have been relatively level since 2016. The big run up in prices for all collector cars was in 2014 & 2015, and many collector cars have fallen significantly in price in 2016 & 2017. The fact that the NSX has remained so stable through the "bursting bubble" of the market is fairly remarkable. Once the collector car market starts to climb again as a whole, NSX prices will follow suit.

Now, the overall economic market and its future is a whole different subject that I won't attempt to get into. :) The affect of that on collector car prices is much harder to track.

It's better to have both gen 1 & gen 2 cars. I just picked up my gen 2 today and wow is this car fast and smooth. Couldn't feel any/much understeer like my Gallardo has. Smooth and comfy like my old 997.2 Turbo cab so I think I'm going to daily drive this unless my 6 yr old complains (she likes the lambo best or lx570 for the tv screens). If nsx comes out as a convertible then I would buy another nsx. But I'm hoping 2002+ cars drop back so maybe I can pick up a 3rd nsx

The last three targas on BaT have been exceedingly lackluster results, but the coupe that sold a couple days ago was a great result (in comparison to typical values for each of those years). Perhaps tastes are shifting towards the coupes?

Prices have come down... you may get your wish Gaymondleerpv

Yup, I have been watching the supercharged targas with interest. When they make it ~60k all in I'll have NSX #3 here.

Back