• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2017 F1 thread

I was a little apprehensive about the "new" car designs at first. The rendering of the new Williams looks fantastic! Can't wait. Hopefully McHonda will get their act together at maybe podium this year.

Wash out of the first day, Hasegawa thinks the problem is in the shape of an oil tank, causing oil starvation in left hand corners, a problem that did not show up on the filming day due to the lower pace involved in a filming day presumably. Autosport is reporting they will have a fix in place for Day 2. We can only hope....... :(

Apparently the oil tank was redesigned just before the test, so might have shown up at the filming day but kept quiet...

Even when it does finally run right, will it have enough power? The whisper I heard is that mcl aren't so sure (to put it diplomatically)

Very embarrassing! The world's biggest engine maker is not able to design and test a pretty simple part. After two days one full day lost completely while Mercedes is running like a Swiss watch collecting important data. Honda should recognize finally that these testings days are no fun days. And they should correct their stubborn idea of supplying only one F1 team. All other engine makers have at least double the data of them.

At least better than Williams where their Rookie crashed the car and ended the test days. :)

I didn't even hear about Stroll, ha, poor guys (Williams). Hopefully Honda can do something to turn it around! The last few years have been really tough to watch. I wanted to see Button go out on a high note so bad. The new wider stance looks great, but what do you guys think about the new Honda livery? If they can go fast, I guess it doesn't matter what the livery looks like, but I thought the last one looked mean. Not so sure about this one.

Last edited:
but what do you guys think about the new Honda livery? If they can go fast, I guess it doesn't matter what the livery looks like, but I thought the last one looked mean. Not so sure about this one.

After what I have seen coming out of McLaren MSO for their roadcars, I was really disappointed by this look. They should have consulted the guys who made the video posted above, much better in my opinion. I agree though, that in the end it doesn't matter how it looks just as long as it goes fast. And right now it doesn't look too promising! Get your shit together McHonda!

I know. I just read a few articles today, not looking good. I thought this would be a comeback year with the cars completely changing. Looks like we'll have to route for the Hass boys.

When it comes to the PU, Honda are now where Mercedes were in 2014, they've done the R & D [very publicly] and have after 3 years of R & D, decided to change 90% of their design to basically copy most of the Mercedes philosophy. So starting from scratch essentially, and back where Mercedes were in 2014! Which leads to the teething problems they are encountering, again.

Latest whisper is they are not generating enough heat into the ERS so they will need to redesign the turbo, and develop a "vortex exhaust system" that better retains combustion heat, as Mercedes have done. Me thinks it's going to be another long year, as even if they manage all that in a short time frame, McLaren are already 1 test behind everyone else when it comes to car development, which puts the chassis behind the development eight ball as well. :(

77 trouble free laps today and Fernando was smiling at the end

Yikes!

skysports.com said:
Sky Sports understands Mercedes have been running their 2017 engine in conservative power modes to be sure of complete reliability.

It’s not known if Mercedes have suffered engine component failures on their factory-based test dynos but a team source confirmed that failures are a desirable occurrence – the point about running engines on test beds is so that it happens close to home, where quick and accessible fixes can be applied, rather than on the track

Mercedes will introduce an upgraded engine for the season-opening Australian GP on March 26, meaning that while Bottas and Hamilton’s lap times in the W08 are already impressive, there is likely to be even more performance gains to come from the world champions –if the engine is reliable.

I know. I just read a few articles today, not looking good. I thought this would be a comeback year with the cars completely changing. Looks like we'll have to route for the Hass boys.

I wish it was "Hass" lol I'm sure you meant Haas.

I hate the fact Mercedes is so dominant, even my wife notices it. She laughs at me because of my frustration with McHonda.

Back