• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2017 F1 thread

Up to 5 seconds faster per lap? Holy F@#K!

Heavier car, more downforce at speed. Looks like it's going to be exciting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Rosberg has retired!

Rosberg has retired!
Harry, I was sort of expecting it actually. Now I'm super curious who makes it to MB. Alonso is not a happy camper but I think he still has 1y contract unless buyout which wouldn't be horrible. And having him alongside 44 would be nice.

I guess Wehrlein. Alonso is paid too much to join a team where Hamilton resides. The rest is all speculation of the off-season.

F1 is only 2-3 seconds faster than GP2, so 5 seconds are warmly welcome. The tires sucked. It's no fun watching them saving tires while they run 10 seconds faster in the qualifying than in the race.

I think Bram is right-on... makes the most sense.

To bad Lance Stroll just signed with Williams. Toto Wolf has mentioned that he had liked Strolls driving for some time.

Go Canada Go!!!

Also, just booked my tickets for the Spanish GP in May. I cannot wait!!!!

FRENCH GP RETURNS IN 2018!
(at Paul Ricard)
YES!

I know this may have been discussed before but can anyone explain why the sound of the turbo engines of today sound like poo compared to those of the 80's? I think they are around the same size and such.

Can someone explain since my friend asked and I couldn't think of an answer!

Based on my understanding, on today's turbo cars, they are harvesting everything from the engine, including the turbo and heat generated, hence the reason for the reduce noise compare to the 1980's.
In those days, they just use the turbo for boost, nothing else.
This is the simplistic explanation, however, I'm sure there are a host of other reasons.

Bram

Based on my understanding, on today's turbo cars, they are harvesting everything from the engine, including the turbo and heat generated, hence the reason for the reduce noise compare to the 1980's.
In those days, they just use the turbo for boost, nothing else.
This is the simplistic explanation, however, I'm sure there are a host of other reasons.

Bram
pretty much summed it up all the heat and noise is being used to power the other power units so no noise left to make us all happy

and after reading this who thinks Alonso wants out now, targeting podiums pffffttt
http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/f1-2017-mclaren-honda-goal-podium-120716

Last edited:
Heh, heh, heh... I was at the McLaren factory on October 2 (while the team was away in Malaysia) ------- there are some surprises on their way. : - )

McLaren 10:2:16.jpg

Last edited:
exactly not a great look for next year once again

With the huge change in regulations for 2017 I don't think any of the teams would be too confident of podiums? Hopeful of course, but short of Mercedes and perhaps Red Bull, we've seen in the past hero to zero [and the reverse, occasionally] is but a season away in F1. One misstep in the wind tunnel, even for Mercedes, and it could become a struggle.

Patience I have, it's the interminably long "winter break" we now have to endure with F1 that grates. :D
we do have the vacant seat at Merc to fill some time in and then the reveal of the new cars for next season will help so its not as boring an off season as last year but yeah watching cricket games suck so its time to go fishing and hit the beach until March

Back