• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why so many new NSXs for sale?

Even if it's true, it's still on Honda. They have been dealing with suppliers for a long time and should know how to have a handle on this kind of thing. Could be that Honda knew steel might be delayed and was cool with the extra profit they thought they would be getting selling carbon rotors on what they expected to be an in-demand car.

This probably has some truth to it. When I asked about the steel brakes at the press launch one of the Acura folks was a bit surprised when I said that many customers for this car actually prefer the steel brakes. I have to think there are plenty of people on the NSX team that understand why someone would want steelies, but I also think there are several people in positions of power in the mix who didn't think it was a big deal that the steelies were delayed.

Truth be told, I don't think it would be a big deal if the performance of the car relative to the competition was much stronger. Like, if the NSX could spank the 911 Turbo S and 570S around a racetrack, the carbon ceramic tax would matter less or not at all. But as we discussed before, when NSX builds start to get close to what a 570S, Huracan, GT3RS, etc. cost, it begins to turn into an unfavorable comparison. At $155k the NSX's value proposition looks much stronger.

That would be the cover story you'd expect, no?

Even if it's true, it's still on Honda. They have been dealing with suppliers for a long time and should know how to have a handle on this kind of thing. Could be that Honda knew steel might be delayed and was cool with the extra profit they thought they would be getting selling carbon rotors on what they expected to be an in-demand car.

This scenario is a definite possibility. I'm not an MBA though.:confused2: If that's how Brembo does business, there must be a position in the new administration for one of the head guys that's in good with Putin.

Last edited:
Weren't cars only delivered in mid-late Sept though? If 201 equals an average, per quarter, for the next calendar year then they'd be fairly close to their maximum annual production total of 800.

We get it, you have a McLaren. :rollseyes

Not sure why you're offended by my posts. I'm just trying to provide context if Acura/Honda is trying to compete in the supercar space. If I just said, I have a supercar from some company.. would that be better? It would be lacking information...

At some point soon the NSX will overtake the CR-Z in sales. I guess Honda-Acura buyers like their sport hybrids with some power. :biggrin:

And the RLX Sport Hybrid. Hard to believe the flagship of the brand will be outsold by the halo car, but I think that will happen fairly quickly. 250 in 2014, and about the same for 2016.

Weren't cars only delivered in mid-late Sept though? If 201 equals an average, per quarter, for the next calendar year then they'd be fairly close to their maximum annual production total of 800.

that 201 number was for the first 6 months...

attachment.php

I stole this from another Acura website. Shows only 201 NSX's sold through November.

that was the number i came up with also. at that rate, they'd be lucky to sell half what they initially thought their annual sales would be.

which seems very optimistic right now...

Global annual production was targeted at 1600 cars

due to the pokey ramp up, the 800 for the U.S. cars in year 1 was moved to 800 for N America (i.e. Canada included)

I was literally thinking the same thing, and then I saw this thread. I noticed there were a lot of NSXs on Ebay and the prices are coming down over the last few months. There was one NSX on Ebay that started at $1 with a reserve and ended at $155k. However, the MSRP on it was $208k. So it doesn't seem people are willing to pay too close to MSRP. I am going to wait until I can get a used one for a good price or until Acura does a price reduction like the Dodge did to the Viper.

I just went to the Acura.com site and built my NSX. I noticed they made the Iron calipers available, yet my base MSRP came out higher than it did when I configured it with carbon ceramic brakes a few months ago. WTF!? Did Acura increase the price of the NSX by a few thousand?

I was literally thinking the same thing, and then I saw this thread. I noticed there were a lot of NSXs on Ebay and the prices are coming down over the last few months. There was one NSX on Ebay that started at $1 with a reserve and ended at $155k. However, the MSRP on it was $208k. So it doesn't seem people are willing to pay too close to MSRP. I am going to wait until I can get a used one for a good price or until Acura does a price reduction like the Dodge did to the Viper.

I just went to the Acura.com site and built my NSX. I noticed they made the Iron calipers available, yet my base MSRP came out higher than it did when I configured it with carbon ceramic brakes a few months ago. WTF!? Did Acura increase the price of the NSX by a few thousand?

You might check your options as the MSRP hasn't changed on the configurator

Back