• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1994 NSX with gold trim pieces?

I ordered a replacement badge for my NSX and it's chrome, the original one had gold trim around the edge to match my gold exhaust tips, and the thing around the antenna is gold as well. Does anyone know where I can get another gold trimmed front badge? I'm trying to keep this car 100% original and it would irk me to no end to have a chrome badge. If not I'll just have to repair and polish the original badge as best I can.

Also, I can't find anything online about gold trim pieces on an NSX, all the pictures I've seen are chrome, is this some sort of dealer option or some aftermarket crap?

Thanks

attachment.php

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
If you had "gold trim" badges and "gold trim" exhaust tips and antenna base then your car is not original. That's after market stuff.

No faux wood....

If it is indeed aftermarket I have no problem buying replacements. However, the casting marks on the backside of the badges is identical, the adhesive seems identical, the badges appear 100% identical except for the gold around the edge, I've never seen a fake badge that looked this real. Acura has also sold gold badging as a dealer option on some of their cars in the past, and there are two part numbers for the antenna nut. (39154-SR4-013 and 39154-SG0-003 which is slightly more expensive)

Anyways I guess I need to do some more research, it is suspicious that I can't find any explicit information about the gold badging, OEM or aftermarket.

Last edited:
Looks like it was done with a gold plating machine. I use to have one of the machines to do it. That was back in 1993 or so. You could gold plate anything that was chrome on nickel plated without even taking the badge off of the car.

Reminds me of those small ads found in the back of lowrider magazines back in the 90's for gold plating.

There were a lot of dealers that offered to plate chrome emblems to gold in the 90's. I remember it seemed to be a popular Lexus dealer option.

Do a search on "gold emblems to chrome" and you will find posts on how to remove the gold and leave the chrome finish. (polishing it off)

If you want to plate your new emblems gold to match your other hardware, you can find sources for that on line as well.

Good luck!

Norm

Last edited:
So far gold plating on the factory pieces makes the most sense. I think I might pick up some metal polish and see if I can polish it off, if it was done like that I'd imagine it's on there pretty thin.

Edit: Heh, posted while I was typing mine out.

There were a lot of dealers that offered to plate chrome emblems to gold in the 90's. I remember it seemed to be a popular Lexus dealer option.Do a search on "gold emblems to chrome" and you will find posts on how to remove the gold and leave the chrome finish. (polishing it off)Good luck!Norm

I'll look into removing the gold from the other parts, I don't have a strong preference for gold or chrome and I'd like to stay as original as possible, now that I think about it I have seen an awful lot of old Lexus and Toyota vehicles with gold badges....

Last edited:
I picked up some metal polish after work today. With a bit on a paper towel the gold plating is almost completely gone after a few passes. Thanks for the help guys!
Glad you have seen the light. Gold and 2017 does not mix.:wink:

Back