• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2017 Auction Season approaching - JH4NA21673T000001 on block 1-14-17

I've been so excited to join this forum, but wanted to sign the paperwork first...

I just bought this car from Marshall Goldman. I looked at it about a month ago and was amazed at the condition of the car. I looked at many other cars, but kept coming back to this one.

I've actually flown all around the country this year looking for the perfect car to replace my Cayman GT4. Originally I was looking for a Porsche, but I've seen so many cars that were described as 'mint', 'perfect', 'looks like it hasn't been driven', only to get there and find paintwork, interior issues... you name it. The previous owners of this car have done an amazing job of caring for it, and I intend to do exactly the same.

I talked to LBI about the car to confirm their knowledge of the history and condition (they had it when Doug DeMuro drove it and they took it to auction). Those guys are real enthusiasts and have a genuine love for the NSX. Very impressed with their knowledge and attitude.

These cars have such historical importance to me. They changed the development of the McLaren F1, let alone the Ferrari F355. There are many great cars, but few actually send shockwaves through the industry. The NSX is one such car.

Very excited to finally own one and to join this board. Looking forward to contributing where I can!

I think my first attempt at replying got lost...

So, I just picked up this car today from Marshall Goldman. I had seen it about a month ago but was actually looking for a classic Porsche to replace my Cayman GT4. I looked all over the country and after many flights to see a host of mis-described cars I kept coming back to this NSX because of the amazing condition of the car. It was literally in the best condition of any car that I looked at. Just gorgeous.

The condition is a true testament to the previous owners and how fastidiously they have looked after it. I intend to do exactly the same.

I spoke to LBI about the car to confirm history and condition (they were the ones that let Doug DeMuro drive it and also took it to Kissimmee). I have to say they are true NSX enthusiasts and were more than happy to answer questions. I was very impressed - true car guys.

The NSX is such a historically important car. It changed what McLaren did with the F1, never mind what Ferrari did with the F355. There are many great cars out there, but few that truly send shockwaves through the industry. The NSX is such a car.

I'm excited to finally own an NSX and to have joined this board, and am looking forward to contributing wherever I can.

I ended up buying this car(#000001), primarily because of the condition it was kept in by its previous owners (including those on this board).

LBI also helped me with questions about the history and condition (this was apparently the car that Doug DeMuro reviewed). These guys were extremely friendly and helpful and are clearly true NSX enthusiasts.

Looking forward to contributing to this board!

I ended up buying this car(#000001), primarily because of the condition it was kept in by its previous owners (including those on this board).

LBI also helped me with questions about the history and condition (this was apparently the car that Doug DeMuro reviewed). These guys were extremely friendly and helpful and are clearly true NSX enthusiasts.

Congrats, and welcome!

sweet , welcome aboard....:biggrin:

Thanks much, guys!

I spent months looking for the right car (primarily Porsches), with many flights, only to be disappointed by the condition of the cars vs. the descriptions.

I kept coming back to this NSX because of its amazing condition and because of the historical importance of the NSX. There have been many great cars, but few have sent shockwaves throughout the industry like the NSX did.

After 2 miles of driving it I was struck by the unique view out of the cockpit (like nothing else I've driven) and the amazing gearbox. I just sold a Cayman GT4 and the NSX gearbox is still world-class today. Definitely enjoying this car!

I think you will enjoy the everyday drive-ability of the nsx vs the gt4.....The nsx does not punish, but it gets sharper as the revs build....

I think you will enjoy the everyday drive-ability of the nsx vs the gt4.....The nsx does not punish, but it gets sharper as the revs build....

They are distinctly different, for sure. The GT4 is definitely an event. Intoxicating in its own way, even at 20mph, and designed to be that way.

The gearbox is a good example of the difference between the cars. The GT4 shifter is still short and tight, but it takes a more deliberate effort to shift than the NSX as it has a deliberate mechanical heft to the shift action. In turn that's accompanied by an audible 'clunk' when shifting at a stop light, due to the sound deadening being removed. By comparison the NSX shifter is equally accurate, but about as light and quick and quiet as I can imagine a manual shift being.

They both had slightly different briefs in how they were meant to feel and operate as cars (and make the driver feel) and I think they're both engineering pinnacles in terms of fulfilling their respective design briefs.

What's incredible to me is that Honda did this development essentially in the late Eighties. What a car!

Docjohn, I replied to your post with quote, but it flagged as not being visible until approved by a moderator. The post then doesn't appear in my activity. This has been happening with posts for more than a week, but they never show up. Any ideas, from an expert to a newbie? Are these posts lost?

Glad to see my old car made it back to someone on Prime. She is beauty. Enjoy her. What part of the county is she living in now?

Red-nsx, boy do you know how to look after a car!! My hat's off to you! I've been described by collectors and major dealers as "too picky", and I'm thrilled at the condition this beauty is in.

Now in the Cleveland area of Ohio. I thankfully have an insulated garage for the cold winters.

Red-nsx, boy do you know how to look after a car!! My hat's off to you! I've been described by collectors and major dealers as "too picky", and I'm thrilled at the condition this beauty is in.

Now in the Cleveland area of Ohio. I thankfully have an insulated garage for the cold winters.
Welcome to the party! I just moved away from the area, but neuronbob is near you - you'll probably meet him at the cars & coffee events if you go.

Docjohn, I replied to your post with quote, but it flagged as not being visible until approved by a moderator. The post then doesn't appear in my activity. This has been happening with posts for more than a week, but they never show up. Any ideas, from an expert to a newbie? Are these posts lost?

I don't know why but it may be a newb restriction.....anyway the car gets better the harder you drive it...

I'll have to drive it harder then!

With very little seat time it's clear that the GT4 and NSX had quite different design briefs. The GT4 for ultimate driver involvement and engagement, and the NSX for the ultimate combination of speed and driver involvement with livability.

It's most obvious in the transmissions. Two ultimate executions of the manual gearbox and equally accurate, yet very different. The GT4 requires deliberate effort to shift, with a nice heft to the action. The effort is combined with deliberate transmission noise, with a satisfying 'clunk' when shifting at a stop light, due to the removal of sound insulation.
By comparison the NSX box is clearly engineered for the fastest, cleanest shifts possible. Even though it's extremely slick you can still feel the mechanical precision of the shift... It's just less overt.

That comparative difference in weight is engineered into the clutch action and steering of both cars, illustrating how well engineers can match control weighting when they're at the absolute top of their game.

Two different driver's cars, yet peerless executions of their respective design briefs. True reference models.

SO pleased you did this, and signed into NSX Prime! Welcome aboard :smile:

Thanks much, guys!

I spent months looking for the right car (primarily Porsches), with many flights, only to be disappointed by the condition of the cars vs. the descriptions.

I kept coming back to this NSX because of its amazing condition and because of the historical importance of the NSX. There have been many great cars, but few have sent shockwaves throughout the industry like the NSX did.

After 2 miles of driving it I was struck by the unique view out of the cockpit (like nothing else I've driven) and the amazing gearbox. I just sold a Cayman GT4 and the NSX gearbox is still world-class today. Definitely enjoying this car!

WOW, Cayman GT4 is certainly on my radar - and you sold it? That's saying something.
And the "unique view out of the cockpit" ? Yea, I tell casual observers that if someone in front of me spits out Juicy Fruit gum I'll see it :tongue:

Glad to see my old car made it back to someone on Prime. She is beauty. Enjoy her. What part of the county is she living in now?

Always great to see you here in the Primes. Any part of you want this one back, kind Sir? She is a beaut.

I'll have to drive it harder then!

With very little seat time it's clear that the GT4 and NSX had quite different design briefs. The GT4 for ultimate driver involvement and engagement, and the NSX for the ultimate combination of speed and driver involvement with livability.

It's most obvious in the transmissions. Two ultimate executions of the manual gearbox and equally accurate, yet very different. The GT4 requires deliberate effort to shift, with a nice heft to the action. The effort is combined with deliberate transmission noise, with a satisfying 'clunk' when shifting at a stop light, due to the removal of sound insulation.
By comparison the NSX box is clearly engineered for the fastest, cleanest shifts possible. Even though it's extremely slick you can still feel the mechanical precision of the shift... It's just less overt.

That comparative difference in weight is engineered into the clutch action and steering of both cars, illustrating how well engineers can match control weighting when they're at the absolute top of their game.

Two different driver's cars, yet peerless executions of their respective design briefs. True reference models.

Good brief write-up. Our friend Brian (sca037 here) says the NSX shifts precisely like a well-engineered rifle bolt (similar to an S2000). No reason to disagree.

And, on an unrelated note, we will be visiting the Kent (Ohio) area this upcoming (June 2-3-4?) weekend in our NSX if weather permits.

Congrats to you and many happy and safe miles and smiles.

Thanks a lot! Very happy to be here. Met another forum member at the North Olmsted cars & coffee least Saturday... Clearly a friendly and intelligent bunch of enthusiasts.

The Cayman GT4 may go down in 10-20 years as the best driver's car ever made IMO. It's that good. The only reason I sold it was to get a GT3, and I'm still scared that may not be as much fun as the GT4.

Still, I do not feel short-changed having Japan's most important sports car ever... I'm hoping to finally get time to wash it this weekend. After I drive it, of course :biggrin:

I think Kent is South of Cleveland? Well, you certainly got the weather you wanted - it couldn't be nicer today!

Our friend Brian (sca037 here) says the NSX shifts precisely like a well-engineered rifle bolt (similar to an S2000). No reason to disagree.

I have an '03 S2000 and a '95 NSX. While both are great gearboxes, I prefer the 5 speed in the NSX to the 6 speed in the S2000. Just seems more eager to shift, always very willing to snick into the next gear, while the S2000 doesn't feel as willing.

I have an '03 S2000 and a '95 NSX. While both are great gearboxes, I prefer the 5 speed in the NSX to the 6 speed in the S2000. Just seems more eager to shift, always very willing to snick into the next gear, while the S2000 doesn't feel as willing.

I've heard from s2k owners that the AP1 cars had slighly notchy feel sometimes, which was much improved in the AP2 (04+) S2000s

Back