• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to remove a stuck front disk with no sledge hammer

The front disks on my NSX needed to be replaced after some tough track days.
While the RH side came out after a few knocks with a plastic hammer, the LH side didn't move at all even after squirting a fair dose of W40.
My local mechanic said I had to hit it harder but not only didn't I like the idea but on top I didn't have access to an elevator to reach the disk from under the car.
The solution came by securing an old rear disk to the bolts of the front wheel and then squeeze the two disks together with an appropriate tool.
As the rear disk inner whole diameter is smaller than the hub, it provides a good base to pull the front disk out.
Here's a picture of the set-up and the condition of the pads and disks.

DSCF7310%20-%20Copie_zps6cv9lqbp.jpg

DSCF7316_zpsca0puc6t.jpg

DSCF7313_zpsp8xydvrr.jpg

Interesting. As I am sure you are aware, the original rotors have two threaded holes in the hub, and their purpose is to install bolts into the holes and press the rotor off the hub. Looks like the aftermarket rotors do not have these holes;).

Regards,
LarryB

Interesting. As I am sure you are aware, the original rotors have two threaded holes in the hub, and their purpose is to install bolts into the holes and press the rotor off the hub. Looks like the aftermarket rotors do not have these holes;).

Regards,
LarryB

You are right, I had forgotten about that...

Have you tried a rubber hammer? At times I have found it kind of vibrates things loose without over-stressing parts. Perhaps it may help....

Back