• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Inside Rear Wheel Spin

FWIW, I bought the car from HDA a few months ago. I've had it at the track and have not noticed much wheel spin unless I'm really abusing it through a corner.

I haven't changed the fluid, but it is supposed to be Honda "White Cap". Typically I put Red Line fluids into my cars, but I'm not sure I'm going to do that this time. Red Line's application guide specs their MTL 75W80 GL-4 fluid, FWIW; any thoughts on that being correct?

Was the pretension correct on the LSD when the transmission was overhauled? (you can measure this with a torque gauge on a lift by rotating the axles)
Is this procedure documented in the manual somewhere. I would like to check this...

EDIT: Found it. Something to play this afternoon or at lunch tomorrow!

Last edited:
I measured pretension today per 15-4 "Preset Torque Inspection". I measured it between 95 and 100 ft/lbs. That's within spec, but I have no idea if that's roughly where a car setup with NSX-R parts should be or not.
I'd need to look it up here in the shop, but I haven't heard of Honda "white cap" i always use Honda MTF3 in anything but a heavy duty setup (OSG or ATS LSD which need different proprieties in the lubricant)

I measured pretension today per 15-4 "Preset Torque Inspection". I measured it between 95 and 100 ft/lbs. That's within spec, but I have no idea if that's roughly where a car setup with NSX-R parts should be or not.
100 ft/lbs are about 135 Nm, very low for a Type R modified diff. The limits of the standard diff are 60-140 Nm. The Type R mod doubles these values, so it should be 120-280 Nm. So you're at the very lower end of the specs.
Just for reference: my standard diff WAS 90 Nm and went to 180 Nm with the Type R mod and nearly 200k km in it.
If you do a lot of track events the clutch discs in the diff WILL wear out.

According to the workshop manual, "On-Car" test is between 87-203 lb-ft (120-280 N-m). Of course, this just makes a worse case for the setup, really. Oh well. At some point, I guess I will have to plan on a better diff. This isn't a competition car, so it's not a big deal, more of a curiosity.

Back