• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Inside Rear Wheel Spin

HDA

Experienced Member
...as if I had no LSD, especially on tight corners.

Setup:

Sway Bars: NSX-R / Zanardi
Coilovers: Buddyclub set at mid clicks
Short gears + NSX-r final drive
Trackday tires on 17/18
Additional plate on stock LSD which is obviously not enough.

Is the only way really to just buy an aftermarket LSD?

The wheelspin feels as if I had no LSD at all. Is it possible that under certain circumstances the stock LSD does not engage? I am just throwing it out there. [MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION] your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Andre

...as if I had no LSD, especially on tight corners.

Setup:

Sway Bars: NSX-R / Zanardi
Coilovers: Buddyclub set at mid clicks
Short gears + NSX-r final drive
Trackday tires on 17/18
Additional plate on stock LSD which is obviously not enough.

Is the only way really to just buy an aftermarket LSD?

The wheelspin feels as if I had no LSD at all. Is it possible that under certain circumstances the stock LSD does not engage? I am just throwing it out there. @RYU your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Andre
This is odd, what year gearbox do you have? (there are two types of 5 MT diff)
In a straight line does the LSD work? (you note, additional plate in the LSD assuming here NSX-R upgrade right?)
Was the pretension correct on the LSD when the transmission was overhauled? (you can measure this with a torque gauge on a lift by rotating the axles)

My car is a 1992 so it's the LSD version of the 2 diffs.

I "hope" the pretension was done correctly, the shop where I take my car know what they are doing.

I think the rear just "rolls" too much and the inner rear does not have enough load. Maybe I should just stiffen the rear shocks but that means tail happiness...

No incorrect, with zanardi it rear bar it should not roll a lot, to be honest depending on driving style stock rear bar can even be a good handling setup.
Briefly preset torque test,
On-Car:
1. Block the front wheels.
2. Shift to 1st gear.
3. Lift up rear wheels, and place the safety stand
4. Measure preset torque clockwise using a torque wrench

Standard: 120-280 N-m (12-28 kg-m, 87-203 Ib-ft)
Service Limit: 60 N-m (6 kg-m, 43 Ib-ft)

5. If preset torque is less than the service limit, inspect the limited slip differential clutch set.
NOTE: Adjust the 65 mm (differential housing cover side) and 112 mm (differential housing cover side) shims whenever the clutch set is replaced.

What tires (model & size), and what are your spring rates?

Describe the scenario and condition, what the car is doing and what you're doing to cause the excessive inside wheel spin.

When did you first notice this issue?

What tire/spring.

When did you first notice this issue? Has it been a gradual thing or did you just get your LSD/trans rebuilt? What do you mean by "additional plate on stock LSD"?

It does not sound like there is much lock of your LSD at all, as if it was rebuilt incorrectly or completely worn out.

What tire/spring.

When did you first notice this issue? Has it been a gradual thing or did you just get your LSD/trans rebuilt? What do you mean by "additional plate on stock LSD",

It does not sound like there is much lock of your LSD at all, as if it was rebuilt incorrectly or completely worn out.

The car ran very well a couple of weeks ago at MSRH Houston track. I even got my personal best laptime and manages a long sodeway on an exit.

This was after the trans rebuild with the additional shim on the LSD to bring it to nsx-r specs.

No changes from that time.

Buddy clubs coilovers have a pretty high rates, like 12kg

Tires are federal rsr 595

T2 is a unique corner that really works the diff hard. The CTSC and sticky tires would exaggerate the problem. Since he's NA on street tires, and since I'm familiar with the track, I think he could have a diff problem.

If he's serious about track use, I'd recommend upgrading the LSD anyway.

The tires are not street tires. The Federal are no hoosiers by any means but they are UTQG 140 and stick better than a street tire.The more I think about it the more I believe that the combination of body roll, freezing cold weather and oem LSD contributed to this inner rear spin.When I drove the car on track at thanksgiving I could feel the LSD locking more and did not have this issue, so the diff is working OK.

I disagree that it was due to your setup and body roll but if you want to convince yourself everything is fine without checking the preload, then by all means wait until you run in to the issue again.

More than convincing myself that "everything is fine"... I am puzzled by the fact that the LSD was performing well just a few days before!

We will check the preload as Adnan noted in these days.

Given that you seem to be aware of stuff, this is probably pretty unlikely; but, is there a chance that the transmission fluid was replace with something with a friction modifier?

Hi...

This car is visually perfect. He really made the body kit flow and look almost OEM. I'm a bit saddened to read that he's going to put on a 02 NSX-R front end if that means getting rid of the pop up headlights (which in my opinion really tie these cars together)

<nav class="decomments-footer-nav" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; min-height: 26px; user-select: none; text-shadow: none !important; box-shadow: none !important; overflow: visible !important; line-height: initial !important;">
plus.svg
minus.svg
Reply <ins style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; text-decoration-line: none; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(121, 121, 121); font-size: 12px; cursor: pointer; display: block; text-shadow: none !important; box-shadow: none !important;">Share PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE</ins>
</nav>

<figure class="decomments-author-block decomments-round-avatar" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; position: absolute; top: 10px; left: auto; width: 40px; right: 0px; float: right; height: 40px; text-shadow: none !important; box-shadow: none !important;"></figure>

Last edited:
Back