• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New engine costs $75K

Maybe, the pricing is on the level of Gen1 but the complexity and the no. of parts involved makes this car expensive.

Is the service manual already available?

NSX prices seem very reasonable. Floor mats for an LFA are 950.00 ........

I will say the floor mats are just ridiculously well made. Like no other, uttter perfection, as is the rest of the car.

However, front fender is 29,000. One shock is 14,000 so 950 seems right in line.

The NSX is a much more realistic car that you can drive every day

One LFA in FL had a minor incident and needed the front bumper replaced

The car was bought by a Canadian dealer who paid $14-16k US for the bumper, then imported the car to Canada

the shock price is nuts but Lexus has to keep parts inventory for a car with probably under 170 units in the US at this point and maybe 50 that are driven

I will say the floor mats are just ridiculously well made. Like no other, uttter perfection, as is the rest of the car.

However, front fender is 29,000. One shock is 14,000 so 950 seems right in line.

The NSX is a much more realistic car that you can drive every day

That's some funny shit calling that overpriced piece of shit perfection. Thank you for the laugh. LOL

I wonder how much an LFA engine is.

I wonder how much an LFA engine is.

Some googling found me that a crate engine lists for $58.4k.

However, pricing it out separately doing short block and heads (like was done to arrive at the $75k price tag for NSX), brought it up to around $81k.

Thats still far from a complete engine. The NSX still needs its induction system (intake, fuel injection, turbos, etc), valve covers, sensors, can chains, electric motor, oil pump, and quite a few other bits to truly be a complete engine. By that time, you're well past $125k I bet.

Currently we have no price for a NSX crate engine, which I'm sure would be a lot cheaper than piecing it all out separately like that.

I kind of think a full LFA motor is higher than $58k. I have seen errors before in published prices for things like brake rotors. You also have a restricted ordering program like we have for the NSX.

the rumor mill was the engine cost $75k to build ad each car cost Toyota $750k to build.

remember, they did a full development program, including the first aluminum based car that was scrapped, built out a factory, created manufacturing processes and associated equipment and tooling for a run of 500 cars, then shuttered the whole thing per plan.

Built a factory just to make 500 cars and shutter the place? Wow Toyota sure spent a lot of money for a car that probably released about 5 years too late.

You can bet the farm on Honda using the PMC for something other than the NSX in the not too distant future.

My understanding is Toyota put something like $800 million into the LFA program

they have continued to use dash design elements from the LFA in the IS/RC and more recently in the new LS

the design of the new LC also is an evolution from the LFA

i also believe the factory space has been repurposed for the low volume LC

regarding the PMC, that is set up for low volume, high labor content. What could Honda put in there that would make financial sense?

For example, Nissan builds the GTR next to the Infiniti Q50 in Tochigi, but those are basically conventional production line cars.

My understanding is Toyota put something like $800 million into the LFA program

they have continued to use dash design elements from the LFA in the IS/RC and more recently in the new LS

the design of the new LC also is an evolution from the LFA

i also believe the factory space has been repurposed for the low volume LC

regarding the PMC, that is set up for low volume, high labor content. What could Honda put in there that would make financial sense?

For example, Nissan builds the GTR next to the Infiniti Q50 in Tochigi, but those are basically conventional production line cars.

The Gen1 NSX would later share its assembly plant with the S2000 if I remember right. I can see something along those lines happening again.

Built a factory just to make 500 cars and shutter the place? Wow Toyota sure spent a lot of money for a car that probably released about 5 years too late.

You can bet the farm on Honda using the PMC for something other than the NSX in the not too distant future.

The plant is alive and well. The LFA was made at the Motomachi plant, and is producing cars today: Crown, Mark X/Lexus GS, Murai, and Lexus LC500. I happened to see a couple LC tucked away in the corner of the factory when I was there in November.

I am just afraid a $60k S2000 successor would be ripped left and right like the new NSX is getting here

i would certainly like to see the car happen but am not holding my breath

The Gen1 NSX would later share its assembly plant with the S2000 if I remember right. I can see something along those lines happening again.

IIRC, the NSX, S2000 and Insight were all built at Honda's Tochigi plant until 2003/2004-ish. No idea what the plant does now. Sounds like R&D and engines...?

(I'd love to have an S2000 replacement built at PMC, even for $60k if it was, say, 350 hp using the new CTR engine and 2900 lbs.)

Back