• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs Porsche 997.2

Greetings everyone! I posted this over on rennlist, but I wanted to swing by this way for some perspective:

Just wanted to get your thoughts on a recent predicament I've encountered. For the past couple days, I've been haunted by a one owner 92 NSX for sale at a local Acura dealership (where the car has been serviced its entire life). I always have had a special place in my heart for NSX's, and it seems like these cars will only get more expensive from here on out.

The problem is I've always had a special place in my heart for 911s too, and I just bought my 997.2 C2 in April of 2016. I'll have to sell my Porsche in order for me to purchase the NSX, and personally, I feel I haven't had enough time to properly enjoy the car. At the same time, I also feel like this is a great opportunity to scoop one of these cars at a reasonable price and I can always find another 997 down the road.

Just want to get your guy's thoughts on the matter. A few details about my circumstances: I use my Porsche as a semi-DD during warmer months, but I have an old Nissan Pathfinder as a second car. I also live near downtown Chicago and don't need a car for most tasks. They're asking $35.9k for the NSX with approx 89k miles. Thanks

I was able to google the car you're looking at based on the information you provided. The transmission was replaced in 2000 at 56k mi maybe due to snap ring failure, being in snap ring range or failure. The timing belt and water pump are due for replacement since it was last replaced in 2003 at 59k mi based on the CarProof report.

If everything checks out fine (i.e., original paint, no signs of impact, no leaks, nothing major (relative) etc.), then I think it might be a decent price (there's definitely a mark up for single owner cars) but do try to bargain.

Maybe test drive the nsx first to see how you like/dislike it. I don't know the value of a 997.2 c2 vs. nsx in the long run so no comment on that.

Good luck.

did you specifically choose to go with a narrow body c2? the 911 is a great car (997.2 is my favorite), but it will still be around in a few years. I also don't think the demand is generally as high on the c2, non-S models, so I imagine the depreciation/appreciation of the cars would work in your favor.

If you can trade your 911 in to the dealer, you can save on tax which should soften the blow of changing cars so quickly. both are great cars...good luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks for the helpful and thoughtful responses!

Quick update on the car: apparently the NSX is being shipped early next week to a buyer. The salesmen also mentioned there was a list of 15 other very keen buyers ready to pounce. Oh well, interesting to ponder nonetheless.

hlakhani, Re: narrow body vs wide body- I actually preferred RWD vs AWD, and there were a number of factor the led me to the base car instead of the S. Long story short, the base car was more than sufficient for my needs and I really enjoy the fundamental driving experience that it provides so the additional cost didn't make sense to me. Funny you mention trading in- the Acura dealer actually owns a Porsche store that's right next door too!

Maybe it was meant to be. At least you'll get the opportunity to get to know the the 997 now. Unfortunately, good NSX's at good prices don't last long at all as you can see, so if you get tired of the Porsche, sell it and be prepared to jump on a plane on short notice if need be and act quickly if you find a NSX that ticks all/most boxes for you. Red was not my first choice as all of my fun cars had been red, but the price, condition, location and the fact that it was a one owner prompted me to act quickly and I was the first buyer to make an offer with cash on hand. HTH

I have both a 997.2 C4S and a NSX.
Two different cars. The 911 is much more usable in general. The NSX is a toy for me.
If I had to sell one it would be the 911 though.
You're right 997's will be available at a fair price for a while. NSX is only climbing.

Back