• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need to get a duplicate key made...

I know this subject has been discussed many times here but wanted to see if anyone has updated information.

To clarify, my 2005 NSX did not come with the "Red Key". I know there's been discussions on whether you need it or not to program a new key.

Has anyone found any credible sources / dealers that are able to order/cut/program a new key for me if I currently have (1) key?

I've called around all the local dealers and they seem to be clueless or instructing me that I need the red "learning key".

Can anyone point me in the right direction with a source that can help me in the SoCal area?

Many thanks in advance for your time and help. :wink:

Don't go to the dealer. Go to a good locksmith. A good locksmith will have a machine which reads the code in your existing key and writes it on to the chip in the new key blank (the locksmiths refer to it as cloning). Then they cut that new key blank to match your existing key. I had it done on my 2000. Cost about $50 Cdn for the blank, cloning and cutting of the key. Works perfectly.

The red learning key is required if you want to burn a code from a new key with a different code into the memory in the ECU's immobilizer card. I seem to recall that the immobilizer card could store up to 3 codes. That is the process that the dealers used for key replacement prior to somebody coming up with the key cloning process. If you have lost all of your keys except the red key (what are the chances of that?) you could use your red key to enter the code from a new pre coded key purchased from the dealer.

Last edited:
Don't go to the dealer. Go to a good locksmith. A good locksmith will have a machine which reads the code in your existing key and writes it on to the chip in the new key blank (the locksmiths refer to it as cloning). Then they cut that new key blank to match your existing key. I had it done on my 2000. Cost about $50 Cdn for the blank, cloning and cutting of the key. Works perfectly.

The red learning key is required if you want to burn a code from a new key with a different code into the memory in the ECU's immobilizer card. I seem to recall that the immobilizer card could store up to 3 codes. That is the process that the dealers used for key replacement prior to somebody coming up with the key cloning process. If you have lost all of your keys except the red key (what are the chances of that?) you could use your red key to enter the code from a new pre coded key purchased from the dealer.

Thank you!!! I'll give that a try... :)

I will msg you with more details.

I know this subject has been discussed many times here but wanted to see if anyone has updated information.

To clarify, my 2005 NSX did not come with the "Red Key". I know there's been discussions on whether you need it or not to program a new key.

Has anyone found any credible sources / dealers that are able to order/cut/program a new key for me if I currently have (1) key?

I've called around all the local dealers and they seem to be clueless or instructing me that I need the red "learning key".

Can anyone point me in the right direction with a source that can help me in the SoCal area?

Many thanks in advance for your time and help. :wink:

You don't need the red key if you buy a Acura T5 (cloning key). The transponder chip in these keys can be programmed (cloned) to match an existing key. Your Acura or Honda dealer can do this, just go in and talk to the parts counter guy. If you buy the key from the NSX parts catalog (35113-SZ3-A03) this key cannot be programmed. Instead, the immobilizer/computer is programmed to accept this key and the Red key is required to do this.

If you just want a back up key and don't care that it has a logo on it. Go to home depot. They will sell you a generic T5 key, cut, and program it for you based off your current key. All you need is a working key and they can do it for you. I think buying the key from them was less than $40 and it took them maybe 5 mins to cut and program the key (Free). My home depot will only cut and program keys you buy from them, but yours maybe different.

Last edited:
I think the issue may be that not all dealership parts / service departments offer the cloning process. My local dealership didn't at the time I needed a replacement key. Judging by the OP's comments, I suspect that inconsistency still exists. In my case, the dealerships' solution involved several hundred dollars for a new key set and immobilizer parts which precipitated the 5 minute drive to the locksmith. As to whether you get it done at Home Depot or a locksmith, that is a matter of convenience.

I think it's more of the dealer/whoever is working the service desk doesn't know off the top of their head that it can be done this way. The manual probably only describes the original method. They all have the equipment as the majority of cars from back then with immobilizers used the T5 key. I believe only Honda's that had the red key where the NSX, RL, and Prelude.

Not sure where you are from but the Home Depots in New York don't program the keys. Lowes in this area does that for about the $40.00 quoted above.

Back