• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Borrow your stock headers?

Its interesting because your emissions are very high on the 15 mph test (which is run for about 60 seconds), then they drop down dramatically during the 25 mph test (which is done immediately following the 15 mph test. To me, this suggests a possibility that the cats were cooled down before the test began. How long did you drive the car before the test, and how long did it sit in the parking lot/on the dyno before the test was run?

Lude_2_NSX: yes, I had the car run for a while and straight into the smog stall twice. Hilltop did it for me and got it tested twice at a station they know (familiar with NSXes). Both my last two tests were done this way and both showed high emissions at low speed. When I smog it next time, I'll do it personally and I'll follow the same steps to drive hard to get the cats hot.

Kertong/ Jinks: Thanks for the recommendation on the Hayward shop. Am hoping this adventure will end soon -- or at least pause for 2 years.

After not having time to smog my NSX for month, I woke it up and took it to John in Hayward for smog this morning. And miraculously it passed! John is the man... what can I say. Thanks Kertong and folks on this thread for all your advice. If anyone wants to go for a drive, PM me. Would love to finally meet you all.

After not having time to smog my NSX for month, I woke it up and took it to John in Hayward for smog this morning. And miraculously it passed! John is the man... what can I say. Thanks Kertong and folks on this thread for all your advice. If anyone wants to go for a drive, PM me. Would love to finally meet you all.

Whats your name? Where do you live? And are you on FaceBook? If you're on FB join us at NorCalNSXOwners.

Hi everyone! It's that time again -- smog time. Two years has passed and I'm at it again.
Once again, my 91 isn't passing smog.

I'm now at 62.9K and haven't driven much since the last smog. Took it to Hayward and ran it. Here are my results:

<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc ;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
HCCONO
TestRPMCO2O2MaxAveMeasMaxAveMeasMaxAveMeas

<tbody>
</tbody>

So I'm way over NO at 25mph.

My next step is to get an oil change and a bottle of addictive. But given that my last time passing smog was two years ago and only about 400 miles since, not much else I can think of to do. I did everything at that time -- spark plugs, new O2 sensors, cleaned AIT sensor.

Any advice folks?

Thanks!

Exhaust Gas Recirculation?

Have you checked your EGR?

Disconnect the EGR vacuum hose
With the engine idling apply vacuum to the EGR valve
If the engine stalls EGR is OK
If it continues to run the EGR passages are likely clogged or someone has blocked them off

This won't tell you if your EGR control solenoid is operating, but if there is a problem there you should have a check engine light.
I hope this helps; if it doesn't at least it's a quick check and it's free.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! It was this and I've resolved it!

Have you checked your EGR?

Disconnect the EGR vacuum hose
With the engine idling apply vacuum to the EGR valve
If the engine stalls EGR is OK
If it continues to run the EGR passages are likely clogged or someone has blocked them off

This won't tell you if your EGR control solenoid is operating, but if there is a problem there you should have a check engine light.
I hope this helps; if it doesn't at least it's a quick check and it's free.

Back