• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Good maintenance/fix recommendations

Hello, I am a new NSX owner, who imported a 1991 JDM NSX, through JDM Expo Co.
I have searched other threads and found very good tips, but am starting this thread to try and consolidate as many good maintenance recommendations as possible.

My car will be going into to a shop for its first round of full maintence, and am told that dropping the motor out of the car is actually common to do......So I figured, this is probably as good a time as any, to do as much maintence as possible, all at once.
Here is the starting list so far of what I have been told should be done:
1. Timing belt and water pump
2. General valve and V-tec valve adjustments
3. Valve cover gaskets and valve lashes
4. External drive belt
5. I have heard that there are better quality/durable radiator and coolant hose kits. Does anyone know the best brand for that??
6............suggestions please???.........

My main question is....are there any other things that people have learned from experience, that should be done or replaced, while the motor is going to be out of the car?
thanks for all the great information and advice on this site!!!!!

Spool valve/ v-tec gaskets, oil pan gaskets, header manifold gaskets, cam seals,check butterfly valves on intake are few that come to mind. If the engine is out, these are all quite easy. If engine is in the car, not so much.

These are "nice to do" not musts:

I would pop off the injectors and have them flow tested/cleaned by RC Engineering (sp?), change the harmonic balancer every time you change the TB/WP, check the flow of your fuel pump (remove/replace if necessary).

On the interior, test the stereo, amps. Consider the seats (ought to be worn by now). Window guide upgrades from Hugo. Look at all the plastic parts on the interior for condition including switches.

Moving to the front, ABS upgrade?

Check the rear tail light lenses for separation (you can see it along the plastic where the backing meets the lens.) Consider taking them out, drilling small holes to let water escape and then seal the top.

That ought to be a solid $10K. ;)

The previous owner of my NSX (who is a really awesome guy BTW) completed the following prior to my purchasing it. You didn't mention your car's mileage, but assuming you have no maintenance history I would consider this a good starting point. Especially if you are going to pull the engine.

Engine:
Intake cleaned and VVIS screws tightened re-staked
Updated LMAs
Valve adjustment
New Timing belt
New Timing belt tensioner
New AC belt bearing
New AC and alternator belt
New Alternator
New Battery
New Cam and Crank seals
New Engine main seal (transmission side of crank)
New billet cam plugs
New Crank Pulley
New V-TEC solenoid gaskets
All new coolant hoses (OEM except the 6 mains are Venair Reinforced Silicone)
New water pump
New thermostat
New coolant expansion tank
New injectors
All new injector seals
New spark plugs (NGK Iridium)
New coil packs
New fuel pump
New fuel strainer
New fuel filter
New O2 sensors
New main relay
New ignition switch
New air filter
New oil pan gasket
Fresh oil change

Transmission / Driveline:
New clutch / pressure plate / mid-plate / flywheel/ throw out bearing
New clutch master and slave cylinders
New clutch hydraulic hose
New input and output shaft seals
New Acura white cap transmission fluid change
New front and rear wheel bearings
Axles rebuilt by Indy Rack and Axle

Suspension / Brakes:
New polyurethane top hat bushings (iLift)
New steering rack bushing kit
New sway bar end links
New inner and outer tie rods
Steering rack knock bush kit
All brake calipers fully rebuilt
New rubber brake lines
New rotors and brake pads
Full brake fluid flush including the abs (Motul RBF 600 Racing Brake Fluid)
Professional alignment

Body / Interior:
Both window regulators rebuilt and tracks greased
New window guide bushings
New billet regulator retainers

Last edited:
hmmm I would place the steering wheel on the left side of car:biggrin:

Mwagner, that is one hell of a killer list!!
in fact I will use that list to have my shop go through as much as possible, within the time and necessary budget that we can set. But that is a great starting point!!!
the car has approximately 34k miles on it, and I do have maintence paperwork,....but with it being JDM, it's all in Japanese, can I can't know for sure what exactly was done. But I at least have some reference that routine maintenance was done on the car.

Haha that's fair docjohn. But I am actually really enjoying the fun of a RHD. And I figured if I was ever going to have a true JDM car, this would be as fun a car to go for.

The previous owner of my NSX (who is a really awesome guy BTW) completed the following prior to my purchasing it. You didn't mention your car's mileage, but assuming you have no maintenance history I would consider this a good starting point. Especially if you are going to pull the engine.

That PO dude must have no life.:smile:

Thanks for the kind words Mark.

Back