• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX is not selling? it's overpriced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets not forget the crushing news science of speed left of recently of how much power the car actually makes.

Jinks, I've been looking at R8 V10 plus dyno charts online.
The R8 makes more power at the top end, the NSX makes more torque at the low end.
All in all they're not that different.

Jinks, I've been looking at R8 V10 plus dyno charts online.
The R8 makes more power at the top end, the NSX makes more torque at the low end.
All in all they're not that different.
Difference is, one is WAY faster.

Difference is, one is WAY faster.

New R8 V10+ is a beast, for sure, but I'm not sure about "WAY" faster. I hope Acura releases a "Plus" version of the NSX that catches up / one-ups on the raw acceleration (faster is always better!), but the cars are close enough now that I don't think people are deciding between the cars based on 2-3 MPH trap speed or a couple of tenths 0-60.

I like the looks of the NSX and I like "technology for technology's sake" even though the new tech hasn't fully delivered on its promise/potential.

NA V10 feels like the best of the outgoing generation of drive trains (I still miss my V10 E60 M5), I'd rather have a forward-oriented design (EV-assisted Turbos) ih performance that is "in the mix" with the best of the old generation. Not everyone will agree with me, which is fine.

Last edited:
If I had the choice, I would always pick a V10 over a V6 with hair dryers strapped to the exhaust. Just never been a fan of the sound of turbo cars. They muffle and drown out the exhaust sound. Mclaren spent months developing an exhaust which actually sounds proper. Some of the lovefab na1's sound like school buses.Too each his own though. The nsx does have some to offer which others do not. I only wish it came at a price which represents it's performance. Plus mods to the car is looking like a total nightmare. That is the one thing I hate about the First gen, its costly and terrible modification abilities.

I think the new R8 looks pretty dag nasty from the side. The rear to me looks much better than the Acuras rear with that damn point in it. Plus the interior just looks less cheap versus the nsx in my opinion.Just imagine the R8 plus with turbos or a supercharger. I still am looking for explanation on just why this NA motor and drivetrain is so blistering fast versus boosted performance. I drove a 2010 R8 V10 with a stasis supercharger last month that had 715 hp. It was freaking awesome! I didn't end up buying yet though. Maybe 1 more year if I can still find one.

stupid method of advertising hybrid HP by just adding everything together.

its appropriate for the gas engine only.
Then what method do you recommend? Maybe science of speed can consult with you if you know a better way to measure it?

Then what method do you recommend? Maybe science of speed can consult with you if you know a better way to measure it?
seems to me you know everything, so i'll defer to you.

if you reread my comment, its not an SOS issue, its the way hybrid power is advertised. in this case, the hybrid system doesn't contribute to peak power.

since you're all knowing, can you post a dyno of a 918? much appreciated. google wasn't much help.

seems to me you know everything, so i'll defer to you.

if you reread my comment, its not an SOS issue, its the way hybrid power is advertised. in this case, the hybrid system doesn't contribute to peak power.

since you're all knowing, can you post a dyno of a 918? much appreciated. google wasn't much help.

Are you serious right now? Maybe you should lay off the rice as it is clearly making you gassed up. You called the post I made about the sos dyno chart a stupid method for measurement on a hybrid system???? I do not need to re-read it bro. I asked why, and now you are saying I know it all? Please school me in your methods. Don't you have cars to sell or something? Oh wait, your an Acura salesman.... I have been reading your posts. The only thing you ever post on is sales or why the new nsx isn't selling. If you claim to be a "car guy" what cars do you own? What other posts do you have here? I think you should take a step back homie. This is for nsx owners. Do you even own an nsx??? Or do you just try to sell them? What cars are in your garage? A 4 banger ilx?
I remember you asking me in a previous post if I ever tracked a new nsx or a new rlx. I thought, who the hell tracks an RLX?That was pretty stupid in my opinion. So I did not respond. But hey, it's all good everyone needs a mulligan once in a while. Maybe your upset because you will owe money to Acura this month for lost sales. :wink:

clearly you should re-read.

"stupid method of advertising hybrid HP by just adding everything together." i guess they have to put something on the window sticker.

most keyboard gangsters are going to look at the 415hp figure and wonder where the 50 hp went without understanding how the system works. As SOS mentioned in their post, its likely the electric motors were not in use, thus the gas motor yielded 415hp peak.

i've tried to share what information on the NSX that has been provided to me without being sales-y. If ive come across as sales-y, my bad. not my intention, nor my purpose here. i am one of the relatively few people who have tracked an NSX (albeit for a short time), so i try to contribute as much as i can. obviously ChrisN has better feedback. will someone here buy an nsx from me due to my posts? unlikely.

off topic, but what does what i drive or own contribute to being a car guy? if its a 90 civic, does that make me less of a "car guy" in your eyes? i would like your validation as a car guy, so please post a list of cars that would earn me that title so i can buy one or pretend to own one since this is the interwebz afterall.

clearly you should re-read.

"stupid method of advertising hybrid HP by just adding everything together." i guess they have to put something on the window sticker.

most keyboard gangsters are going to look at the 415hp figure and wonder where the 50 hp went without understanding how the system works. As SOS mentioned in their post, its likely the electric motors were not in use, thus the gas motor yielded 415hp peak.

i've tried to share what information on the NSX that has been provided to me without being sales-y. If ive come across as sales-y, my bad. not my intention, nor my purpose here. i am one of the relatively few people who have tracked an NSX (albeit for a short time), so i try to contribute as much as i can. obviously ChrisN has better feedback. will someone here buy an nsx from me due to my posts? unlikely.

off topic, but what does what i drive or own contribute to being a car guy? if its a 90 civic, does that make me less of a "car guy" in your eyes? i would like your validation as a car guy, so please post a list of cars that would earn me that title so i can buy one or pretend to own one since this is the interwebz afterall.

Dude, I never met you and I am not a mean guy. But your a salesman posting on an nsx forum. As I asked, do you actually own one? I would guess not... But that is okay with me. Just don't come at me like that when I am a proud nsx owner, a paying member of prime, and I respect B&B, Chrisn, Jdcross, as well as MANY other gen 1 members who post here. We may not not agree. Just don't call people stupid unless you want to fight a big boxer dog.:smile:
Lets move on to bigger and better things. I would really love to hear new features in the future nsx's that will be built.
Posts are posts. All opinions no matter how you slice it.

i was calling the general method of advertising hybrid power stupid. ;)

yes, back on topic.
Okay cool, moving on guys... Life is too short. Have you heard of any improvements coming down the pipeline?

Would this be a cheaper way to get the new NSX to NZ?

Potentially yes, although to be legal for road use it would need to be RHD, unless one could get an exemption.

But with the drop in the UKP, import from the UK would currently be a better proposition (if there were any to be had).

Last edited:
Having sat in both the nsx and r8 v10 plus I would say the interior of the Audi felt cramped and not particularly high end. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't as nice as my s6. The new nsx feels much more spacious and the quality of the interior is as good as Audi. No question though about the sound, the r8 sounds way better.

Would this be a cheaper way to get the new NSX to NZ?
possibly but LHD isn't great on our roads
when I spoke to Honda NZ about one they couldn't confirm price or dates but $350nzd was the mark we thought it would be which puts it above the McLaren 570s
I spoke to a guy that has bought one paid $50k deposit and still waiting but that was early Nov with no update on delivery, they are a performance shop and export racing gearbox's for Porsche and Nissan GTR's a company I am involved with does some of the tooling for them.
Honda NZ may know more by now but they haven't contacted me and I haven't chased them for more details as I've sort of gone off the idea for now

Having sat in both the nsx and r8 v10 plus I would say the interior of the Audi felt cramped and not particularly high end. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't as nice as my s6. The new nsx feels much more spacious and the quality of the interior is as good as Audi. No question though about the sound, the r8 sounds way better.
But it does an NA 1/4 mile in ten seconds!

New R8 V10+ is a beast, for sure, but I'm not sure about "WAY" faster. I hope Acura releases a "Plus" version of the NSX that catches up / one-ups on the raw acceleration (faster is always better!), but the cars are close enough now that I don't think people are deciding between the cars based on 2-3 MPH trap speed or a couple of tenths 0-60.

i'd concur with "WAY" faster. half a second quicker 0-to-60 is massive! 7/10ths through the 1/4 mile is gigantic. 7 mph more trap speed is very significant. and a 14 mph higher (and over 200 mph) top speed is devastating. in terms of outright performance, the R8 completely wipes the floor with the NSX. add in lap times that are consistently 2+ seconds a lap quicker just about everywhere they've tested both cars, and the picture gets even more bleak.

you personally may not think numbers make a big difference for sales of extremely high performance sports cars, but i would beg to differ. and it seems these threads will also at the very least, partially back up this theory. very few people want a second place car, and certainly not a 4th or 5th place car, which is where the NSX usually falls (behind also the Ferrari, Porsche and McLaren).

as the title of this thread states, the NSX is not selling. many people think it's over priced, many people think it's not fast enough, many people think it doesn't sound good enough, and many people think it doesn't look good enough. so clearly, it would appear the NSX is under performing and over priced...

If you reduce everything to one single dimension you'll always find a car that is better, if not by now, then in two years.
If you believe that a few tenths of a second will make a car superior over another go for it! Some people in that price range will care about laptimes and 0-60 and all the stuff the 'objective' marketing is making you to believe what 'is said to be' relevant in todays cars. But they only have a very small perspective.

Audi
If you are thinking about keeping your next car for a long time Audi will most likely disappoint you. Fond of sourcing for parts for their first 'Quattro' sports car Audi is SO PROUD of? Even if you can source them you'll overpay them severly but the likelyhood is big enough that you can't get any parts for it at all. Have a look at the parts calalog of the NSX Gen 1 and you'll see that you can get nearly everything. You can be quite sure that Honda won't let you down. Even the formerly discontinued manual steering gearbox is relisted again! Don't expect this from Audi or Lambo. Their parts program for 'historic' cars is more sort of 'window dressing' than a serious attempt to keep the cars on the road. Think about that whenever you consider an Audi/Lambo or the like. McLaren is a big unknown here. Porsche and BMW have a better supply but you know that you need a deep pocket.

The car is not overpriced per se. Dealers have been ordering too much cars. That's it. And for the current volume the price might be too high.

Last edited:
I was looking at the Car and Driver numbers for these cars as a source of relative comparison. The gaps between the R8V10+ and NSX aren't as big as you are quoting. Also, FWIW, the NSX is faster than the 458 in every dimension and yet no one would pick the NSX over it simply for being a bit faster in every way. Same logic when comparing the R8 and NSX.

If a NSX Type R (or whatever) comes out in two years and it is as much faster than the R8V10+ (which will still be the top of the line R8 at that time) as the top R8 is faster than the "base" NSX, will you immediately say the NSX is the better car?

Compared to the RLX Sport Hybrid, the NSX is a screaming success. Just throwing that bit of levity out there in what's become a somewhat acidic debate. :) It's only the Internet, guys. Don't take these arguments so seriously.....and wait for NSX 2.0 prices to come down as they follow the market. OK?

Parts that are discontinued in the US parts catalog are still available in Japan...most of them.

So the quiz question is why Acura US denies us parts still available in Japan.

Parts that are discontinued in the US parts catalog are still available in Japan...most of them.

So the quiz question is why Acura US denies us parts still available in Japan.

Parts available in Japan but not North America - this is just ridiculous. The parts situation for legacy Acuras, and I have had more than one that I would have liked to keep on the road, is one reason that I won't be buying anymore of them. This, the current products, and the botched roll-out of the new NSX speak to poor management. Honda just hasn't caught the rhythm of selling luxury products. It does, however, create an opportunity for some other company to serve this market. Hopefully an established vendor with a track record of excellent service like Science of Speed will be able to make business sense of supplying either OEM or quality reproduction parts for the Gen 1 cars.

Last edited:
Well, you still can get the parts if you ordered a so called 'critical order' or how it is called (got the expression from prime). Years ago it wasn't easy to order parts from Japan.

Funny thing: for my gearbox revision I couldn't get some special tools in Japan but they are still available in the US. :)

Parts available in Japan but not North America - this is just ridiculous. The parts situation for legacy Acuras, and I have had more than one that I would have liked to keep on the road, is one reason that I won't be buying anymore of them. This, the current products, and the botched roll-out of the new NSX speak to poor management. Honda just hasn't caught the rhythm of selling luxury products. It does, however, create an opportunity for some other company to serve this market. Hopefully an established vendor with a track record of excellent service like Science of Speed will be able to make business sense of supplying either OEM or quality reproduction parts for the Gen 1 cars.
These are some of the reasons why I do not drive mine as much anymore. There have been parts I would have loved to replace over the last few years but I cannot find them new. Always have to buy used. Mostly interior or extirior. I foresee our cars being worth some serious cash in 10 more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back