• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX is not selling? it's overpriced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything built in the past 10 years i'd say. Multitude of reasons: 1.Parts only available for 7 years after production. 2.That battery tech won't even exist. 2.Vehicles build and materials are "disposable". I have a 10 year old Lexus (quality as good as any make out there), and as much as I baby it and maintain it (runs flawlessly, and body is perfect), shit just wears out. Just keeping it until I can get an new LC500 in the spring.

But I guess you can keep ANYTHING on life support if you really want to. :p

Good points, especially on the LI battery (Intelligent Power Unit (IPU)/Power Drive Unit (PDU)), when it wears out as they all eventually do, that is something not so easily fabricated or found 3rd party...good point there, I have a friend with a 22 year old Lexus, drives to work every day, takes to Lexus dealer for all service...but, that's not in the 10 year realm

but, I do wonder about this:
Acura Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles qualify for Acura Care® Certified
Additional Coverage, with plans ranging from 7 years/100,000 miles
up to 8 years/120,000 miles from the original in-service date

so, might just have an extra year in there :tongue:

I knew there is a reason I prefer older cars :) when stuff wears out, someone has a fix or part for it

Dunno if anyone has seen this video. All are pretty darn close. Of course the big NA motor wins.
Like the old saying goes, there's no replacement for displacement. Take it or leave it, the nsx is cool. Just not my top choice in the almost 1/4 million game. Just thought I'd share if no one has seen it.
https://youtu.be/lHIzYp2s8Uo

Nice,
but...

1 min 28.65 second track record, so all those cars a ssslow :)

I do understand the disappoint toward the car from the many angles that you and others have reiterated. There is no doubt it's a technical tour-de-force that immediately alienates some used to the visceral simplicity of the first NSX, and also clearly some of the current 'simpler' competitors. The ideology behind the new car's design is typically 'Japanese' in approach which means some will love it, and others just won't. In some ways it's an 'odd' car, although I do like the look of it - but it is upfront very expensive I suspect because of all the hybrid gear and tech trickery, and NO DOUBT this will be one very expensive car to maintain in the longer term. I'd be very interested to hear your opinion if you ever get an opportunity to drive one - I'm certainly looking forward to doing so, alongside the offerings from the many competing marques mentioned in these forums, - however I'm still intrigued by the unique tech of the NSX - my background is electronics and computing so it fascinates for that reason.

But that aside, I see the same forum narratives going round and round the same circles. The FastAussie always spins the same BS around unverified anecdotes from his 'expert mates who do all the reviews of this car that we the plebs get to read', and he continually likes to remind us of any reported negative slight, as though needing to confirm his personal bias and those of his 'expert mates'. He even quoted one of them a while back (Andy or Randy someone), as saying the exact opposite to that which said reviewer spoke live on his You tube review, which says a lot about the integrity of either the reviewer or the one reporting his supposed of-the-record comments. FA's lack of intelligent engagement with ideas outside his repetitive stanza that Honda has 'farked-up bigtime' reminds of the boorish, Australian Super Touring Car Holden vs Ford tribal rhetoric; that's about dissing the 'other' because 'we don't like em'. Despite the multiple well-reasoned discourses here around why the car might not be selling like 911 hotcakes - i.e. Honda's targeted demographic, it's deliberate esoteric design values aimed to make it DIFFERENT and NOT a direct competitor, a cautious slowdown in across board sales, lack of developed cult awareness, lack of availability outside US, it's first iteration, commitment from Honda to develop the car, including feedback from GT3 development etc etc, seems to have little or no impact whatsoever on the one-track XXXX-in-hand, Bathurst bank barker. The worn grove gets a little tedious after awhile.

Great points of interest. For the record I am posting my own opinions rather than stepping on stones FA dropped. Time will tell if the Acura brand can get a handle on the "Luxury" market. But if I may say, unless it is a Tesla, people who have tons of cash to buy cars, they could really care less about hybrid technology. Especially ones that are not a plug in and do not really add to mpg ratings or blistering performance. If I personally had 200k to buy a car with, it most certainly would not be a hybrid. No sir... But I can understand your logic and reasoning, which I appreciate. Rather than saying if I am not an engineer I just do not understand. Thanks. I have strong opinions. Some get it, some do not. I think the bottom line of it all is that I am watching a breed of a generation die slowly.

...or ugly. Couldn't resist. :p
Preeching to the choir my brother. I hate vipers. But they are fast. Huge over fed American might. Agh agh agh!

Dunno if anyone has seen this video. All are pretty darn close. Of course the big NA motor wins.
Like the old saying goes, there's no replacement for displacement. Take it or leave it, the nsx is cool. Just not my top choice in the almost 1/4 million game. Just thought I'd share if no one has seen it.

IIRC... wasn't that car oversteering terribly for that test? I never heard a definitive explanation why, although I recall somebody here stating the issue was fixed at some point but MT declined to run the lap again.

IIRC... wasn't that car oversteering terribly for that test? I never heard a definitive explanation why, although I recall somebody here stating the issue was fixed at some point but MT declined to run the lap again.
I know the nsx at Laguna had a bad alignment from what I had read IIRC. I could be wrong. But let's be real, it came from a Performance Manufacturing Center. One would think that claim of out of alignment spec is a bunch of B.S. Do they not align the car properly at the factory?

the car was run again, there was no significant improvement in lap times. fact...

But that aside, I see the same forum narratives going round and round the same circles. The FastAussie always spins the same BS around unverified anecdotes from his 'expert mates who do all the reviews of this car that we the plebs get to read', and he continually likes to remind us of any reported negative slight, as though needing to confirm his personal bias and those of his 'expert mates'. He even quoted one of them a while back (Andy or Randy someone), as saying the exact opposite to that which said reviewer spoke live on his You tube review, which says a lot about the integrity of either the reviewer or the one reporting his supposed of-the-record comments. FA's lack of intelligent engagement with ideas outside his repetitive stanza that Honda has 'farked-up bigtime' reminds of the boorish, Australian Super Touring Car Holden vs Ford tribal rhetoric; that's about dissing the 'other' because 'we don't like em'. Despite the multiple well-reasoned discourses here around why the car might not be selling like 911 hotcakes - i.e. Honda's targeted demographic, it's deliberate esoteric design values aimed to make it DIFFERENT and NOT a direct competitor, a cautious slowdown in across board sales, lack of developed cult awareness, lack of availability outside US, it's first iteration, commitment from Honda to develop the car, including feedback from GT3 development etc etc, seems to have little or no impact whatsoever on the one-track XXXX-in-hand, Bathurst bank barker. The worn grove gets a little tedious after awhile.

you boys just take it all so personally. keep rolling with the excuses, maybe eventually they will magically become true? and then all the fairies from Neverland will buy up all the NSX stock...

FYI - If you add the old FA bloke and another individual to your "Ignore" list (in the Settings menu), this forum subsection isn't so depressing :smile:

I feel sorry for them that they feel the need to put so much time and effort into bashing something many others should be proud of.

Bottom line is that if corporate Honda is happy with the sales figures, then that's all that matters.

yeah, i bet Honda is super happy with over a third of their precious and super hyped techno-wondercars sitting around gathering a solid layer of dust. as happy as Porsche, Audi, McLaren and Ferrari... :biggrin:

I know the nsx at Laguna had a bad alignment from what I had read IIRC. I could be wrong. But let's be real, it came from a Performance Manufacturing Center. One would think that claim of out of alignment spec is a bunch of B.S. Do they not align the car properly at the factory?

I don't know of any way we can definitively determine why the NSX in that test was oversteering so much, but I think we can be certain that is was, and that some other NSXes in owners' hands have not shown that behavior. Was it really alignment? If so, was it properly aligned but to incorrect specs? Was it improperly aligned? Was it properly aligned to proper specs but somehow the alignment was messed up prior to the test? Anyway... We can reasonably speculate that a more neutral-handling NSX would have been faster by some amount, as the effects of oversteer at a track day are generally well understood. But we cannot know by how much. A tenth of a second or otherwise less than the margin of variation of a human running multiple laps? Or two seconds? No idea.

I don't know of any way we can definitively determine why the NSX in that test was oversteering so much, but I think we can be certain that is was, and that some other NSXes in owners' hands have not shown that behavior. Was it really alignment? If so, was it properly aligned but to incorrect specs? Was it improperly aligned? Was it properly aligned to proper specs but somehow the alignment was messed up prior to the test? Anyway... We can reasonably speculate that a more neutral-handling NSX would have been faster by some amount, as the effects of oversteer at a track day are generally well understood. But we cannot know by how much. A tenth of a second or otherwise less than the margin of variation of a human running multiple laps? Or two seconds? No idea.

could be over inflated / overheated tires (reduced contact patch)

could be tire past its prime (harder rubber, loss of grip)

could be driver fighting torque vectoring (see video above around 40-43 second mark watch front tire adjusting, was that the driver or torque vectoring doing that wiggling?)

could be overly aggressive turn in (puts more strain on front contact patch)

yeah, i bet Honda is super happy with over a third of their precious and super hyped techno-wondercars sitting around gathering a solid layer of dust. as happy as Porsche, Audi, McLaren and Ferrari... :biggrin:

Well, I talked to Acura's head of product planning myself at Detroit and he said they're selling NSX's at a rate they're happy with. Secondly, you keep throwing Audi in there like R8's are selling like hotcakes but bottom line is that their monthly sales rate has been similar to the NSX's once the NSX ramped up to full production. Not only that, but Audi is discounting R8's and offering an aggressive lease program. There are also about 150+ new R8's sitting on dealership floors right now.

When it's all said and done I think everyone is going to be discounting cars in this price range (except for cars like the GT3RS), to differing degrees. The customer will be spoiled for choice and all of the manufacturers will have to up their game if they want to move this type of car going forward. Pace is going to increase rapidly and we may see more innovation in sales and marketing activities to match.

Last edited:
A 150 R8s in dealer inventory? Make sure FA knows about this, so all his mates can go and get one. Is this a fact or alternative fact?:wink-new:

Good points, especially on the LI battery (Intelligent Power Unit (IPU)/Power Drive Unit (PDU)), when it wears out as they all eventually do, that is something not so easily fabricated or found 3rd party...good point there, I have a friend with a 22 year old Lexus, drives to work every day, takes to Lexus dealer for all service...but, that's not in the 10 year realm

but, I do wonder about this:
Acura Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles qualify for Acura Care® Certified
Additional Coverage, with plans ranging from 7 years/100,000 miles
up to 8 years/120,000 miles from the original in-service date

so, might just have an extra year in there :tongue:

I knew there is a reason I prefer older cars :) when stuff wears out, someone has a fix or part for it

At least Honda have their own joint venture company with Yuasa to manufacture their own LiPo batteries. I'm lead to believe the battery units in the NSX are the same off-the-shelf modules identical to those in their bread-and-butter Honda and Acura hybrids. I'd expect them to be available as replacement parts well beyond 7 years.

As for the drive electronics motors etc, time will tell. If I were to end up with an NSX, I would expect to replace it before 7 years, but it begs the question of who are going to be the likely buyers of the older well-depreciated cars, and what kind upkeep and refurbishment expense will be required to keep them on the road. Will a new culture of EV/Hybrid car home tinkerers or performance enhancement enterprises with the relevant electronics/computing expertise emerge, to be able to experiment, modify or replace IPU/PDU's, even with other manufacturer's equipment? I've read already in Europe there are guys who have reverse engineered Tesla power-trains obtained from wrecked cars, and have successfully transplanted them into donor vehicles. I can't help wonder if a whole new industry won't develop to cater to kit-bashing Hybrid/EV cars, including an NSX 2.0 that in time becomes ticket-price affordable and desirable for a newer demographic. Why not!

sweet, that's excellent. more R8's for everyone... :biggrin:
They're GrrrrrrrrR8!
Sorry Honda guys, I'd rather have a V10. Even a big porky one from Germany. Nsx is just too much tech with too little tech. Like mirrors that cannot even fold. If you guys all love the cars, you should buy one if you have not already, and not give two shits what people say about it.

One of my favorite things about the nsx is the mirrors. They look fantastic. I hope they have a power folding option in the future cause those things stick out like wings on an eagle.

One of my favorite things about the nsx is the mirrors. They look fantastic.

i love the mirrors myself. best looking mirrors of any current Supercar... :smile:

Is this a fact or alternative fact?:wink-new:

R8's are outselling NSX's, fact... :wink:

p.s. maybe if all the people who originally said they were gonna buy the NSX did, they'd sell better? instead of buying R8's, 911's and GTR's. that may be another fact of some kind? :biggrin:

One of the guys ahead of me in line bought an R8 and dropped out.

If the R8 wasn't around I might still be waiting for my car.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd definitely take the NSX over the R8. R8 just looks old and tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back