• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Door Check Bushing NLA - Alternative Solution

Hey everyone, my driver door has been popping since I got the car 2 years ago and once I was motivated to do something about it found the bushing is NLA. I searched and couldn't find much so I posted on the facebook Prime page and someone was nice enough to point me to this thread http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...L0-003-Part-Discontinued-Door-checker-bushing which seemed to end without a resolution. Today I worked out an off the shelf solution so I thought I would update that thread for the next person, only now I realize its a classified ad, which is prob why I couldn't find it. So I figured it was better to just post a new thread in the DIY section.

Doorman HELP! #14041 is a pedal and shift linkage bushing kit. The smallest bushing in the kit is a similar plastic, has the perfect ID and OD with the same size step in the top. The only deficiency is its slightly shorter, but that doesn't really effect anything.

Here is a comparison with my still good passenger side.

Just have to cut some reliefs (like the stock bushing) and it will press fit right in. It won't snap in like the stock bushing because it doesn't have notches at the bottom but the press fit is very firm and tight without deforming the ID and effecting the pin clearance.

I got excited tapped the pin home and called it a day so no wrap up pic but its straight forward. No more POP POP every time the door is opened and closed, its silent with no movement at the pin.

Last edited:
Great improvisational fix. In case you want an OEM solution the bushes you need (72342-SL0-003) are available via www.amayama.com. $3.08. I've use them (amayama.com) many times. Shipping is reasonable and quick. Usually a 5 to 10 day turnaround from the time your order is accepted.

Great work & excellent information! I wish I would have seen these threads earlier. Mine is just starting to pop.

I've ordered OEM from Japan. When it arrives, I'll measure it, draft it up in CAD and have a replica available at Shapeways (no markup of course). It shouldn't be more than a couple bucks + $5 shipping is what they normally charge. To lower costs further, I can attach two together with a 1mm bridge. That will eliminate a minimum per part part print fee.

At least that'll be another alternative just in case stock completely runs out.

Thanks for the heads up on them still being available from Japan! You know I would have bought a box of them had I know last time I was there lol. I had just replaced my leaking spool valve seals and had a fire under my butt to get the door popping done with too. Had I known they were still available in Japan...

Ya, more options are better all said and done. Hopefully the Japanese stock doesn't run dry but if it ever does we're good to go :).

I'm curious, how is the pin removed. Do you just gently hammer upwards until it comes out? ie., pressure fit?
Also, will the silver swing arm move out of the way enough to introduce the new bushing? Thanks..

You just tap it upwards, I used a long piece of bar stock so I could tap from below the door out of the way. Spray some PB 1st to help it slide. Also make sure to tape up the whole area, the PO didn't and I have some chips. Atleast no additional ones from my work there lol. The arm will move out of the way with the door once the pin is removed but be careful not to over extend it.

The real PITA is removing the bushing. Its held in place by the top lip as well as the bottom and there is a notch in the middle. I used a razor to cut the top and bottom clean off, added a relief cut to the remaining barrel then pressed it out.

Some others may have easier solutions but mine was really tough. Maybe due to the high mileage on my car.

Looks like someone else got the last unit available. I'll have to carefully remove the bushing I currently have without disfiguring it and guess on tolerances. But that's no big deal. I'll see if I can design some sort of bushing removal tool while I'm at it.

Just received this from Amayama:

"In regards to your order no. #####, unfortunately Honda has now informed us that
production of part no. 72342-SL0-003 has ended and it has been discontinued. There
is no remaining stock available for supply."

Last edited:
Great work & excellent information! I wish I would have seen these threads earlier. Mine is just starting to pop.

I've ordered OEM from Japan. When it arrives, I'll measure it, draft it up in CAD and have a replica available at Shapeways (no markup of course). It shouldn't be more than a couple bucks + $5 shipping is what they normally charge. To lower costs further, I can attach two together with a 1mm bridge. That will eliminate a minimum per part part print fee.

At least that'll be another alternative just in case stock completely runs out.

Very cool, as I was reading the first couple of posts and seeing that the part was discontinued everywhere I looked, I thought to myself, "this is a perfect example of something that should be easy to duplicate now days". Thank you for taking the time to do this. I'll order a set when you've got it done.

robert

I just installed some 3D printed bushings. I'll be field testing these for a while to see the durability with low cost nylon material. My guess is it won't be as durable as the Doorman part, but wanted to make an alternative available for those who don't have access to a parts store that carries them.

I've discovered that no special tools are required to safely remove the pin and old bushing in a controlled manner. I used a very small C-Clamp and a couple tiny sockets to "press" out the pin, and then the same procedure for the plastic bushing. Make sure you use a socket wide and tall enough for the pin and bushing to rise up into. If the pin is giving complications half way, you may have to find a small dowel or rod from underneath to finish pressing the pin out through the top of the hinge.

Here's an example of the bushing removal:
pressout.jpg

Comparison between OEM and 3D Nylon:
comparison.jpg

It's cheaper to 3D print a single "part", so I've linked them together. You'll have to separate them yourself.
pair.jpg

I've created a package of four individual bushings from Shapeways. Two are standard OEM OD size that slide right into the armature with little effort. Two are over sized OD for those who have really worn armature holes. Prices reflect actual 3D printing costs. I'm not marking them up at all.

You may get these directly from Shapeways:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/SEDJLA3WC/acura-honda-nsx-door-check-bushings-two-sizes

Or from TurboKeychains:
http://www.turbokeychains.com/product/honda-acura-nsx-door-check-bushings/

Last edited:
I just tried to order these from Shapeways website and was emailed that they cannot be 3D printed. Any ideas as to why?

I just tried to order these from Shapeways website and was emailed that they cannot be 3D printed. Any ideas as to why?

I know exactly why. They claim on the part that connects the bushings together is too thin (it really isn't, it's within spec by at least .3mm :). I'm unsure why they approved the two piece and not the four piece when it's the exact same diameter linking them together. I will update the design and do a mini-bulk order to make sure it has a 100% success print rate. In addition I will also offer them through my website. I can provide lower cost domestic shipping (USPS 1st class).

I've updated the URL's. My website has a handful in stock, and Shapeways can print them anytime. International shipping is probably cheaper through Shapeways.

Back