• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comparo: Michelin PSS vs Pilot Sport A/S 3+

This is a comparison between the two tires for anyone who would like to know the difference in case they have a vehicle for which they would consider all season tires. I agonized over which ones to get (the difference in tread life being a major issue under consideration) and I wished that I could have seen a review/comparison between the two, but since they are different categories, information was scarce.

I have had both on my Camaro. I first became a Michelin convert after the Goodyears that came with my (used) Camaro ran out of useable tread. Throughout the ownership period up to that point, the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s (the hailed champion of performance tires at the time) did not hook very well (stock-ish LS1 power). They were dreadful in the wet. It should be noted that the car was daily driven in WA, where roads are almost always wet, but even in the dry, they just sucked.

Not knowing much about tires at the time, I bought the Michelin Pilot Sports A/S Plus (the precursor to the A/S 3, and subsequent A/S 3+). The difference was night and day.

The old A/S Plus tires not only hooked with no drama at all, but there was no discernible difference in normal driving between wet and dry roads. The car felt planted 100% of the time (sharp throttle application would still break the tires loose on wet ground, though).

Fast forward a few sets of tires later, to the new Pilot Super Sports. Before getting the Pilot Super Sports, my Camaro was "benched" because of an engine failure which took me nearly a year to save up the money to address. The solution yielded a new (to me) LS1 with heads and cam. It makes ~360 whp/360 wtq, which is about 85 more horses at the wheels than I had before.

After not driving my car for nearly a year, I got back in it on the new Pilot Super Sports. These tires handled the meager 360 horsepower like it wasn't even there (as should be expected for tires that are standard on 500+ hp cars)--a feat that I was not sure whether the old A/S Plus tires could have matched.

The confidence they inspire is real: when I drive other cars, I immediately notice the difference in the communication that is transmitted through the shoes. The sidewall is stiff and the steering response is sharp. Traction is not a concern in wet or dry conditions. The tires easily outperform the brakes on my car. All in all, I'd say that the PSS tires are "pure" performance street tires. They are aggressive and give the car a very surefooted feel.

However, their short life expectancy is a tradeoff. I drove about ~25000 miles this year, and thus have used up all of their tread. Since the Camaro is my daily, I opted to try the A/S3+ because those tires seem to be to the All Season category what the PSS is to the Summer Tire category, and they are rated for 50% more tread life than their sportier siblings.

Immediately after installation, as soon as I pulled out onto the street, I noticed a much smoother ride. I get the impression that the sidewall is more flexible than on the PSSs. The ride is also a bit quieter.

The little bumps and cracks in the road are still communicated, but with much more "compliance." I would liken the difference to that between a soft rubber bushing and a Haim joint (for example). Also, these tires seem to mask certain imperfections in the suspension (my rear shocks are reaching the end of their service life), or the PSSs amplify those imperfections (take your pick).

Communication on the A/S 3+ tires is certainly not as crisp or detailed. If compared to sound, I'd say its like the difference between listening to something in high definition versus listening to something through the wall in another room, but you can still correctly hear and identify all the words and noises (none of the critical information is lost, just the finest details). It's "muffled" by comparison.

I have attempted two 1st gear pulls from ~10mph and the tires have no issues at all hooking up (I never launch from a dig... just not into beating on my 10-bolt).

The A/S 3+ tires are still new as of yet, but they do inspire confidence. So far, I do not feel any less sure of their capability than the PSSs, though I have not yet accumulated the mileage on them to make that claim with real authority. In any case, they are certainly sporty tires and get the job done where performance is concerned for a somewhat powerful car that is used to commute. In addition, I had the chance to drive them in the rain today. They were rock solid, just like the PSS and the A/S+s I used in Washington.

All in all, given the difference in tread life expectancy, even though I am a performance nut, I'll probably stick with the A/S 3+s moving forward since the Camaro is my daily driver: they provide a more comfortable ride (which translates into more overall enjoyment) while still being more than enough for the weight and power of my car.

Good review.
You do realize that the A/S in the name stands for "All-Season"? Typically All-Seasons offer what you describe. They're a good all around but not great at any one thing. They have all season performance so you can use them in light snow. The A/S 3+ has a UTQG rating of 500.
The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a Max Performance Summer tire, meaning you get excellent dry and wet street traction and great handling. These should not be used in freezing or below freezing temps. UTQG rating of 300, so you should expect the A/S 3+ tires to last 1.7x longer.

Yup! :) I know all that. That's why the comparison. When I was shopping for a good tire, I noticed that the Michelin all-seasons outperformed many of the competitors summer tires. That's why I was having trouble deciding between the PSS and the all seasons. The previous all-seasons that I had (also Michelins, but the predecessor of the A/S 3s) out performed the summer tires (Goodyears) that they replaced in all ways, bar none.

Not all all-season tires are created equal, IMO. :encouragement:

I recently watched a video on Engineering Explained where they touted the dynamic contact spot of the PS4S: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kasI6HtxcH0

I wonder if the nylon belt technology is held in the AS3+.

If your car is a weekend warrior that you don't drive in the winter, I don't see any point in going all season. I was always told 10k miles or 5 years on the tires before you have to switch them out. Maybe AS tire technology has caught up well enough that it doesn't make much of a difference? Road noise and comfort are probably a good reason to go AS though.

My PSS tires are awesome. They wear perfectly, I cannot explain it. I will just say that they are 100% worth the cash but if your seriously low, I do not recommend them. Then again, if your seriously low, you probably aren't chasing performance anyhow....

Continentals new ExtremeContact SPORT (comes out this month) is touted as on par with the PSS in the dry & tire life, while better in the wet and a better ride.

I will be reviewing them soon with a back to back track test to their DW which has similar life, but notably less cornering stability and outright dry grip and speed to the PSS.

The ExtremeContact SPORT comes in many sizes which the PSS doesn't cover and if true, it's a huge feat for Continental.

But then again the new PS4S raises the bar from the PSS. At the end of the day, it's great to see tire tech advancing the way it is in terms of having highly capable tires for track use that aren't loud, harsh, and wear out quickly like most "street" tires which are designed for track use.

Continentals new ExtremeContact SPORT (comes out this month) is touted as on par with the PSS in the dry & tire life, while better in the wet and a better ride.

I will be reviewing them soon with a back to back track test to their DW which has similar life, but notably less cornering stability and outright dry grip and speed to the PSS.

The ExtremeContact SPORT comes in many sizes which the PSS doesn't cover and if true, it's a huge feat for Continental.

But then again the new PS4S raises the bar from the PSS. At the end of the day, it's great to see tire tech advancing the way it is in terms of having highly capable tires for track use that aren't loud, harsh, and wear out quickly like most "street" tires which are designed for track use.

I'm really encouraged that there are other companies willing to put up the R&D to go head to head with Michelin. Thats awesome! Looking forward to your review.

P.S. I really disliked my last set of Conti D/W's. Granted I bought them used and didn't ask how old they were. So i'm willing to give the brand another chance. I'm itching to get back on 17/18

What didn't you like? I've had 6 sets on 4 daily drivers.
In wet they were awesome.

I particularly wanted more dry grip and more steering feel. I'm not sure if that was because they were potentially old or the sidewalls were soft. I found this very apparent at Spring Mtn last year. I like my previous set of Dunlop Z1 Star Specs much more but I've found I like the PSS the most. I'm not going to compare them the set of Maxxis RC1's because of different classes.

My reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not going to pretend i'm an awesome driver.

Yes, steering feel, response, and dry grip was the main improvements of the new SPORT tire, said to be 2 seconds faster than the DW.

What was more comfortable than the PSS?

What was more comfortable than the PSS?
I'm not sure I can answer that objectively because to fit PSS's on the NSX I had to upsize to 18/19 and the resulting ridiculously thin sidewalls. My own personal knowledge base is in 17/18 tires. I must say... the 18/19 setup in the PSS is even more comfortable than the Star Spec Z1 but again.. apples and oranges. I was on rubber bushing DG5 coilovers back then and now on JRZs. Too many changes to speak objectively.

This sounds like typical lame youtube reviewer talk but I really love how the PSS's make my fingers tingle. The feeling of connectivity on the front wheels is really satisfying. (I also installed a brand new steering rack which probably helps LOL)

hmm...finger tingles.....

[MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION], which tire pressures do you recommend on a street driven nsx with the PSS? Should I do stock setting of 40 rear and 33 front?

I HATE the stock pressure stagger. I don't like to stagger the pressures much, especially on track. I'd do 38-40psi all around for better mpg or 34-36psi all around for slightly better ride.

Back