• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

18"/19" Axis XQ Wheels w/ +45mm

Brand new primer so please excuse the learning curve. Just picked up a '97 NSX that was fairly abused and trying to bring it back from all the flashy late 90's mods done to the car through the previous owners (think chrome and flashy lights). It's currently sitting on some hideous chromed out wheels the previous owner put on the car. I'm in love with the Advan Model 5 look on our vehicles but due to just picking this car up I'll be under a really tight budget for the next year. I will be heavily focusing on restoring the interior to proper working condition but just can't stand looking at the current wheels on the car. I need to change them. This car has been a dream of mine to own for some time, and will be daily driven in the mountains of Colorado. I was doing some research through the FAQ/Wiki and found that some people have been able to run wheels w/ a 45mm offset. I was curious if anyone can point out any major concerns with running the Axis XQ wheels in the following sizes or if there is another recommendation in a simple wheel design to help clean up a car as well as tire size for various weather conditions. (Have looked for factory wheels/tires but proving to be difficult as well)

Front: 18X8 5X114 +45 CB 79.5
Rear: 19X8.5 5X114 +45 CB 79.5
(Would prefer a 17/18 setup but 17s not available in this wheel. I would consider 18s all around to lower the rolling resistance in the rear but seems like the offset in sizing is preferred by most owners)

XQsilver.jpg

Last edited:
Front: 18X8 5X114 +45 CB 79.5
Rear: 19X8.5 5X114 +45 CB 79.5
(Would prefer a 17/18 setup but 17s not available in this wheel. I would consider 18s all around to lower the rolling resistance in the rear but seems like the offset in sizing is preferred by most owners)

The front will be fine. You could even go down to 18x8 +38 safely. Run a 215/35-18 tire.

For the rear, the 19x8.5 is a tad narrow.
I would strongly recommend getting the 19X9.5 5X114 +40 CB 79.5 instead as the tire you should be running in is either a 265/30-19 or a 275/30-19.

Something else to consider is Science of Speed still had a set of Advan T5 (the follow up to the Model 5) in 17/18 sizes left in stock on special.
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/nsx/epp/wheels/advan-rzii-wheels-1227.html
advanmodelt5_800x600.jpg
Check them out.

What hapa88 says. The current T5 sos is selling is a freaking bargain! Nothing will look better than Advans on the nsx unless you go bc forged or bbs. I think your best off getting the T5's. A lot of people buy tsw wheels for the nsx due to being lower priced and they come out looking very cheap. The ones posted look even worse in my opinion. Go Advan...
Also, there are 2 very nice sets of model 5's on eBay right now in 17/18 nsx spec sizes. Good luck.

Hapa88 and Jinks, thank you so much for your responses! The Advans are definitely ideal but just a tad out of budget right now with just purchasing the car. What I'm gathering though is it will probably make the most sense to just wait, bite the bullet and roll the chrome wheels that are on the car now, and then save up to see if I can score those T5's before they sell out. Appreciate the link and input on the ebay listings!

Hapa88 and Jinks, thank you so much for your responses! The Advans are definitely ideal but just a tad out of budget right now with just purchasing the car. What I'm gathering though is it will probably make the most sense to just wait, bite the bullet and roll the chrome wheels that are on the car now, and then save up to see if I can score those T5's before they sell out. Appreciate the link and input on the ebay listings!
I rolled on chrome like a boss for a while too when I got my first nsx. I just think you'll buy these wheels and end up selling them later for a loss. How about using some plasti-dip or painting them? What wheels are they?

I rolled on chrome like a boss for a while too when I got my first nsx. I just think you'll buy these wheels and end up selling them later for a loss. How about using some plasti-dip or painting them? What wheels are they?

I've owned 11 sets of wheels for the NSX and even sets on the other cars I've owned. Every single set of wheels I've owned, I've sold at a loss. The lower cost wheels are less of a loss (cast wheels, for me the XXR wheels, TSW, etc) by a large margin than the higher cost ones (DPE Forged, WORK Wheels, Rays Gram Lights, Enkei). The reason is because the initial cost is so low by comparison.

My XXR wheels, for example, cost me $500 for the set. I sold them for over 50% off, or $200 (a $300 loss). The DPE Forged wheels I had were $3700, and I think I sold them for just under $2000. That's a $1700 loss :eek:. It's REALLY difficult, virtually impossible, to sell high quality, expensive wheels for close to what you paid.

These are my current track wheels, TSW Geneva - Rotary Forged in 17/18
13531824_295768707435633_775941224_n.jpg

Last edited:

I think plasti-dipping them may be the best temporary idea. Just go black to hide them temporarily. I don’t have a photo of the car right now the but wheels on the car are these tiny old Konig Monsoons. They look like this:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 198659d1380756124-need-help-identify-these-konig-rims-wheel02.jpg
    198659d1380756124-need-help-identify-these-konig-rims-wheel02.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 525
I've owned 11 sets of wheels for the NSX and even sets on the other cars I've owned. Every single set of wheels I've owned, I've sold at a loss. The lower cost wheels are less of a loss (cast wheels, for me the XXR wheels, TSW, etc) by a large margin than the higher cost ones (DPE Forged, WORK Wheels, Rays Gram Lights, Enkei). The reason is because the initial cost is so low by comparison.

My XXR wheels, for example, cost me $500 for the set. I sold them for over 50% off, or $200 (a $300 loss). The DPE Forged wheels I had were $3700, and I think I sold them for just under $2000. That's a $1700 loss :eek:. It's REALLY difficult, virtually impossible, to sell high quality, expensive wheels for close to what you paid.

These are my current track wheels, TSW Geneva - Rotary Forged in 17/18
13531824_295768707435633_775941224_n.jpg

Hapa88 I tend to agree with you on the loss taken on a nice premium set of wheels. Also, being that this car will be daily driven on roads with potholes, the chance of damaging the wheels is far greater for me I think than most in warmer climates. This leads me towards searching for more affordable wheels. Even a used set that have taken on the initial depreciation already. BTW beautiful car! Those wheels look great on there. I also stumbled on one of your older posts where you posted your car with a mesh wheel by ESM? Thought those looked great as well!

Last edited:
Back