• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for NSX

Hey guys,

To start off it’s great to be on this forum and it’s going to be good talking to all
you guys, also I had no idea where to post this so if it is in the wrong area let me
know and I will move it.

My family wants to NSX . I have been looking online for a NSX for sale andthere
are many to choose from but I don’t know what I am looking at to be honest.
What I need to know is a rough price range I should be going for, and then any tips and tricks
that will help along the refurbishment.

attachment.php

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• NSX.jpg
    NSX.jpg
    477.1 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Welcome.

A good place to start would be the wiki. http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Main_Page

The wiki also indicates the changes and issues from each year so you can see which model year suits you and base your decision on it (i.e., targa top vs coupe, 6 speed vs. 5 speed transmission, 3.2L vs. 3.0L engine, passenger airbag vs no passenger airbag, cup holders vs no cup holders and so on and so forth)

The grand prix white coloured nsx with black roof in your picture appears to be a 92-94 coupe model BTW. The 91-92 nsxs also had a what's called "snapring" issue, and from my understanding it was a manufacturing defect that affected some cars made between model years 91 to 92.

Good luck! :smile:

Welcome.

A good place to start would be the wiki. http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Main_Page

The wiki also indicates the changes and issues from each year so you can see which model year suits you and base your decision on it (i.e., targa top vs coupe, 6 speed vs. 5 speed transmission, 3.2L vs. 3.0L engine, passenger airbag vs no passenger airbag, cup holders vs no cup holders and so on and so forth)

The grand prix white coloured nsx with black roof in your picture appears to be a 92-94 coupe model BTW. The 91-92 nsxs also had a what's called "snapring" issue, and from my understanding it was a manufacturing defect that affected some cars made between model years 91 to 92.

Good luck! :smile:
+1

Good advice. Learn as much about the NSX in general as you can, decide what year it is that you would like to purchase, and then be patient in your search. Of course, I did none of this and, despite knowing nothing about the NSX managed to stumble upon and buy a good car. Having said that, in retrospect I wish that I would have purchased a 1997-2001 model (the 6 speed transmission's gearing is better, in my opinion). You'll be happier with your purchase if you're informed and you wait for the right car to come along.

Good advice so far. Having recently purchased a 1995, I do have some cautionary advice to offer. Make sure the seller has service records and read them very carefully. It will give you a place to start, but double check every maintenance & service it received. If you are lucky enough to live close to one of the experts listed in the "NSX SHOP MAP" at the top of the page, take it there BEFORE you buy, which will give youa better negotiating position. I am fortunate enough to live near one of them, but I did not know about him until after I bought it, so I took it to him to "look it over" post purchase. He spent 2 hours showing me every inch of the car, things that most mechanics would not necessarily notice or know what to look for on the NSX. There were several maintenance issues that were not done at all or not done properly. We are taking care of all of them.

Here are a few things to look for which were helpful for me at the beginning of my search.
http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobil...e-you-cant-afford-the-new-one.html/?a=viewall

Things to look for from my experience: Leaks around valve covers, lower cam cover, oil pan, drain plug, clutch master/slave cylinder, CV boots, clunkiness in the steering rack. (A new rack would cost over $6000, but is no longer available on earlier NSXs. There is an NSX expert who can rebuild them, but it ain't cheap!)

Once the car is up to my guru's exacting standards, I'll post some photos and descriptions of all the work completed. It's gonna be sweet!
Good luck!
AJ

Back