• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

***STICKY*** Gen1 NSX Current Market Analysis

Thanks for the quick response. A few surprises as you mention but sales seem to track production pretty well. Have seen several spa yellows - hard to believe they are only about 3%. They must just stand out😎

Awesome info and thanks for posting Racer!

I agree, but the Berlina/Tan coupes are even more rare. :) Only one year (94) and only 38 produced that year. 31 manuals. (Full disclosure: I have one for this very reason)

Interestingly the berlina/tan combo in the T top is relatively rare.

Last edited:
yep growing up I always liked the black /tan combo on Ferrari's ...then again I also liked the silver /red combo...

During my search from 12/2010 to 12/2012, I remember many a wistful drive home from work mulling over how I missed out on the good old golden opportunity days before 2009 to buy a clean low mileage GPW for $32-36k (link, and link), and how at least I'd get in at a point where values should stay level for a while. Looking at the charts above, I amazed how much they make 2013 look like the good old days! Gah!!

I can only add like everyone else. Nice Job! Really appreciate the effort and contribution to the community. Thanks.

Last edited:
The data and charts here are staggering. You must really LOVE the nsx!

Yes, you caught me! Now the only thing left is to get one for myself.

Holy Jesus this is like my statistics class in NSX form sweet!

Wow, this is some dedication!

Fantastic work.

Great Job! Love your passion! Good luck on your NSX hunt:smile:

OMG...this is great!!

impressive!

Great contribution to Prime. Thank you!

Wow, thanks for sharing and putting this together!

I can only add like everyone else. Nice Job! Really appreciate the effort and contribution to the community. Thanks.

Thanks a lot! I couldn't be happier with the response to my post. What a great community; thank you all again.

During my search from 12/2010 to 12/2012, I remember many a wistful drive home from work mulling over how I missed out on the good old golden opportunity days before 2009 to buy a clean low mileage GPW for $32-36k (link, and link), and how at least I'd get in at a point where values should stay level for a while. Looking at the charts above, I amazed how much they make 2013 look like the good old days! Gah!!

I had that same feeling myself when I was back in 2014 in the marketplace archives. Another reason why I didn't go further back, the pain would have been too great. Haha

Amazing post and wonderful presentation of the data. Nice to see some confirmation of what we all knew/suspected. It's going to be even harder for @Yinzer to cross the 20k mark now.

I'm assuming you've seen this thread of self-reported data? http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/177272-What-did-YOU-pay-for-your-NSX-(and-when-)/

Now that you mention it, I recall seeing that thread around the time I started my analysis and I discounted it because all the data seemed too old, but now that I'm done all back to 2014 I agree that it's worth a second look. Thanks for sharing it!

Interesting stuff. When you cite numbers, are these "unique' cars, or if a car was sold more than once is it represented more than once?

Very good question. I keep track of "unique" cars by counting the number of times the VIN has appeared. I discount multiple listings of the same car at the same time across different mediums (i.e. one car could be on Craigslist, Prime, Cars.com & Autotrader at the same time) and only include that as one data point. But if a car reappears at a different time with a different price, mileage, owner, etc. I allow that. A difficult situation to deal with is when a car is listed for a price but then the seller completes an ebay auction for the car at the same time; effectively there are two prices for the same car. Luckily, this case is uncommon. This means that yes, having the same car appear multiple times could skew things like the color results in comparison to the production colors, but I chose to leave all the multiple sales of the same car in for the data analysis. Primarily, this database is about the sale or listing prices of NSXs, so I took in as many as I could get.

I decided to look further at this information, producing the following results:

attachment.php

# of Sightings of Specific VINCount
0 (VIN is unknown)272
1 (specific VIN has appeared once)458
2 (specific VIN has appeared twice)73
3 (specific VIN has appeared thrice)3
4 (specific VIN has appeared 4 times)2

<tbody>
</tbody>

This means:
``911 NSXs in the database
`- 272 cars with unknown VIN
= 639 cars with known VIN

Of these 639 cars:
  • 458 have appeared only once
  • 73 cars have appeared twice
  • 3 cars have appeared thrice
  • 2 cars have appeared 4 times

Leading to a confirmed 535 unique NSXs in the database as of 2/6/2017.

Attachments

• VINAppearance.png
    VINAppearance.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,391
Last edited:
As others have said, this is fantastic work & thanks for taking the time to record your findings. I've been contemplating selling my 95 & this data reinforces my informal pricing research. Good luck with your hunt.

Last edited:
To the awesome OP. Check the facebook NSX group. There are about 100 guys who put their year/mileage/when they bought their car/price. Not sure if you saw that yet...

As others have said, this is fantastic work & thanks for taking the time to record your findings. I've been contemplating selling my 95 & this data reinforces my informal pricing research. Good luck with your hunt.

Thank you. I'm happy you found this information helpful.

To the awesome OP. Check the facebook NSX group. There are about 100 guys who put their year/mileage/when they bought their car/price. Not sure if you saw that yet...

Oh sweet; I'm interested. Is that in the owners group? I don't have access to that one.

Or better yet develop a Valuation Tool!

That would be a great way to make this analysis more useful and accessible. I've already put thought into something like that.

If you're interested in developing a mobile analysis tool, I'd be happy to help.

Thank you. I'm happy you found this information helpful.

Oh sweet; I'm interested. Is that in the owners group? I don't have access to that one.

That would be a great way to make this analysis more useful and accessible. I've already put thought into something like that.

Fantastic thread! I do this kind of stuff at work great to see an application of statistical modeling on our favorite car!

Since the last time I checked in, I have increased the size of my data set in the following ways:
  • Found website with archive of NSX Craigslist listings
  • Found website with archive of NSX eBay sales
  • Traveled further back in time to June 2013 on Prime and the two above sources.

A prominent effect of the Craigslist and eBay archive listings was many more cars that I will call "bottom end" cars. These are the cars with high mileage, rough condition, high number of owners, salvage title, you name it.
Some hidden gems were discovered as well, such as a sale of a 2002 in the scarce OEM color combo Red with Red interior.

These new data sources bring the current NSX count to nearly 1300! I am also working on a new type of price analysis.

Last edited:
What a great work. I have done similar work before, but only on the car I wanted to put and comparison of cost of ownership and depreciation with spec.
I will need to come back and study your statistics. I think your dream car is not too far away from you.

Back