• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brakes locked up.

Hey guys I recently incurred a brake problem with my car. I have researched but haven't came up with a straight forward answer pertaining to my problem. The car has had a mushy pedal for a while but I kept putting off changing the master cylinder due to lack of time. The last time I drove the car all 4 brakes locked themselves. The only way to get them to release was to break open the lines bolted into the master. Today I replaced the master and bled the system. Took the car down the road and the first few times I used the brakes they were fine then it came back again. I got it back to the house where they completely locked and I had to break open the lines to get them to release. I've seen tons of abs faults with these cars but nothing related to my problem. Anyone had this problem. I'm thinking maybe booster is bad now.

Hey guys I recently incurred a brake problem with my car. I have researched but haven't came up with a straight forward answer pertaining to my problem. The car has had a mushy pedal for a while but I kept putting off changing the master cylinder due to lack of time. The last time I drove the car all 4 brakes locked themselves. The only way to get them to release was to break open the lines bolted into the master. Today I replaced the master and bled the system. Took the car down the road and the first few times I used the brakes they were fine then it came back again. I got it back to the house where they completely locked and I had to break open the lines to get them to release. I've seen tons of abs faults with these cars but nothing related to my problem. Anyone had this problem. I'm thinking maybe booster is bad now.

Keep us informed since I've never heard of the symptoms. Unsure of what bad master cylinder symptoms are since I've had mine replaced as preventive maintenance, but the mushy pedal is most likely air in your lines of not bleeding properly previously by whomever.

I would suggest though not driving your car much until you get it figured out.

Are you on stock brakes, or aftermarket? Not like it really matters but more information for others to diagnose.

There stock brakes. I has assumed the mushy pedal was the master since it's done it since I bought the car. I haven't came across many threads of a bad booster. I collect jap cars and don't drive this one much anyways but the weather has been nice and I'm ready to get this thing fixed!!!

If the brake pedal free play is insufficient, that can cause the brakes to drag. It is also possible that the MC pushrod is seriously out of adjustment. The service manual sets out the procedures for the free play / pedal height adjustment and the pushrod adjustment.

I can see an adjustment problem causing dragging brakes showing up after the MC replacement. Not sure why they would drag prior to replacement unless the free play was out of whack from when you purchased the car. Not definitive that its the problem; but, something to check before you start spending more $.

Yeah I talked to a few mechanic buddies and that was the first thing they asked was the free play scenario. I'm also looking into the vacuum check valve.

Swapped the check valve off my other car and went down the road and it did fine. I purposely locked up the brakes to engage the abs and kick the pump on. I noticed that when I hit even the slightest bump in the road it's kicking in the traction control and throwing all the lights on in my dash for a brief second then goes back to normal. I don't know why the traction control system became so sensitive.

Back