• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HID install for 91

Hi,

First post here, long time lurker and now finally an owner. I purchased my NSX from out of state and drove it home, and the headlights leave a lot to be desired. I looked at the Wiki here http://nsxprime.com/wiki/HID_Kit and saw what it took to install HIDs, but, it is so outdated. I know the newer kits probably do not require soldering, is that true? I've put HID lights into my other vehicles with stock projectors and everything was just plug and play. Was hoping it was the same for the NSX.

Thanks!

i found with all the HID kits i've fitted to my nsx over the years, the Honda/acura polarity at the bulb is reversed from the norm, so i had to pull the pins to the hid supply and swap them over, apart from that, all good to go!

the only decision is where to put the ballasts!

oh, and i fitted HIDs in dipped AND main! i used fast f3 ballasts, they are small slim, and cheap! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-35W...ash=item418e1dc8c8:g:psIAAOSwr7ZW4SX-&vxp=mtr

Hi,

First post here, long time lurker and now finally an owner. I purchased my NSX from out of state and drove it home, and the headlights leave a lot to be desired. I looked at the Wiki here http://nsxprime.com/wiki/HID_Kit and saw what it took to install HIDs, but, it is so outdated. I know the newer kits probably do not require soldering, is that true? I've put HID lights into my other vehicles with stock projectors and everything was just plug and play. Was hoping it was the same for the NSX.

Thanks!
Why not consider LED headlights. Just as bright if not brighter, no warm-up so they are good for Hi beam use, and small voltage regulators as opposed to the 2x larger ballasts required for HID. Check out the Morimoto 2 Stroke LED http://www.morimotohid.com/led-lighting/9005-morimoto-2stroke.html

I've tried aftermarket LEDs before and I dont think the tech is quite there yet. The LEDs were bright, no doubt, but the throw was not as good as a HID set. I couldnt see in the distance as well.

I bought a kensun hid kit from Amazon for 40 dollars years ago. Drilled small holes in the dust covers, and tucked the slim line ballasts right under the headlight covers... Simple, easy, inexpensive and work surprisingly well.

Anyone done an HID conversion recently? Looking to do one or some other conversion to brighten the lights in a '91. Thanks.

Finally got around to do mine. Couple things to note.

1) the hole you need to cut in order to allow the wiring/bulb to stick out is fairly large to allow for room. This negates the rubber grommet supplied by the kit I used (DDM)
2) be gentle with the screws etc. The car is almost 27 yrs old now so things can be brittle.
3) follow instructions per some write ups. I followed this link http://petrol.jasonwoan.com/2012/01/03/ddm-tuning-nsx-hid-kit-install/ but I didnt have to manually flip the lights up with the knob, I just used the button on the dash.
4) first one will take you a little bit but the 2nd headlight will be super easy after you know all the workarounds.

I just did my low and high beams. I decided do make custom enclosures by using 85MM rubber enclosures.

I used Broview S5 9005/HB3 for the high beams. The enclosures were purchased from DDM Tuning. They are 85mm Silicone Rubber Housings.

I removed the covers and headlight housings (used the service manual for instructions).

attachment.php

From there the housings easily came out with 4 screws. I used the switch in the car to keep the headlights raised.

attachment.php

I used waterproof high end tape to mount the cups to the original covers. I cut out the centers so there would be a good seal. I bought 2 extra sets in case I decide to go back to OEM.

attachment.php

The finished job looks great and they fit perfectly.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I got the job done for about $100. Both lights are bright white. I have not been out on the road with them yet.

Everything fit in the rubber covers. I did not want to cut anything and also did not want anything outside of the headlights to avoid any potential condensation.

Since everything fits inside the covers there are no outside wires.

Yes

There is some room for the wires inside the lights. I was able to squeeze everything into the enclosures. It took a little time to figure it out but having the light housings out and on the bench really helped.

The cost was higher.

Low Beams - $90
High Beams - $45
2 Sets of Light rear caps (in case I want to go OEM) - $70
Silicone Cups - (You will have to trim the tabs off) I think these were $40

I also put Euroboutique foglight in last year

attachment.php

Nice. Did you have to switch the polarity on the led lights? My hid I had to swap the leads, red to black, and black to red.

Here's my buddies step by step HID install with photos. Highly recommend checking it out:
http://petrol.jasonwoan.com/2012/01/03/ddm-tuning-nsx-hid-kit-install/

I still recommend HID over LED mainly because 1) of the cost 2) of the system maturity (they're in like the 7+ generation of HID) 3) overall light output 4) heat management 5) longevity (I've had my 55w DDM Tuning kit for 10 years now and still going strong - current LED kits haven't been out that long).

Keep in mind that LEDs generate a TON of heat. That needs to be managed effectively and correctly for the system to perform and to the LEDs to last. Keeping the headsinks and heat fins enclosed in those dust capsules are probably doing more harm than good for the long term. The heat needs to be dissipated.

I've been running the low beams for over a year now. The cost was very low compared to the thousands I've seen people spend on the HID kits. I guess time will tell. I tried to get the lights with fans but they wouldn't fit. Also, there is a lot of ventilation in the housing. I just didn't want to risk condensation on the lenses. The oem lights are sealed so that must have been the intent to have a sealed system.

I had the car out today for a little while. Here are all of the lights on at once.

attachment.php

Back