• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY: NSX Race Car Prep Tips

It's an old car and I find relevant information is hard to source. Hopefully, this helps and maybe inspire a few more to come back to the track.

This isn't a true DIY; it's the things my friend and I got stuck on. Think of it as hints. Take note there maybe better options than the ones we elected to utilize.

attachment.php

Part 1
https://speedracer.ca/portal/2016-12/nsx-race-car-setup/

• Grounds
  • EFI - AEM Series 1 V1.19
  • MAP: OMNI POwer / SOS MAP
  • Ignition Timing
  • Injectors
    • Injector Resistor Box
    • Fuel Pump Resistor Box

Part 2
https://speedracer.ca/portal/2016-12/nsx-technical-part-2/

• Security System bypass
  • Transmission
    • OSGIKEN

Part 3
(Soon)

• Throttle Body
  • Transmission

Attachments

• IMGP3294m-700x465.jpg
    IMGP3294m-700x465.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 227
I was a little bit confused at what I was looking at. After viewing both links, I still do not know what the end result actually was. Maybe I am just missing it?

very cool.

Do you have any posts regarding the history, how you bought the car, why, etc?

The NSX (1991) completed in HSR (Historic Sportscar Racing). At that time it was running a Comptech supercharger (now CT Engineering). There was an ad posted and after checking it out we imported into Canada.

Why?
Race car already :) The only problem is that you inherent someone's else's setup.

I was a little bit confused at what I was looking at. After viewing both links, I still do not know what the end result actually was. Maybe I am just missing it?

NSXPrime is a great resource, but the information is a bit scattered and requires a lot of filtering. It's just tips and extra bits of info to help aid someone who is already modifying.

The NSX (1991) completed in HSR (Historic Sportscar Racing). At that time it was running a Comptech supercharger (now CT Engineering). There was an ad posted and after checking it out we imported into Canada.

Why?
Race car already :) The only problem is that you inherent someone's else's setup.

NSXPrime is a great resource, but the information is a bit scattered and requires a lot of filtering. It's just tips and extra bits of info to help aid someone who is already modifying.
Cool. I am just trying to understand it. Did you scrap the ctsc? Sorry if I am not on par, I am just a little lost. Not the first time for me. What is your current set up?

Cool. I am just trying to understand it. Did you scrap the ctsc? Sorry if I am not on par, I am just a little lost. Not the first time for me. What is your current set up?

Ahh. The CTSC parts have been removed except for the belt tensioner system. In it's place is the Kenne Bell 2.3L supercharger with an aftercooler.

Ahh. The CTSC parts have been removed except for the belt tensioner system. In it's place is the Kenne Bell 2.3L supercharger with an aftercooler.
Nice set up. What aftercooler do you run?

Not sure if you've seen my thread but i've tried to document a lot of what you're going thru now. I tried different fluids in the transaxle for the OSG. I went thru a lot of cooling efforts for a CTSC style blower, etc. Anyway, great effort! Good luck!

btw.. if you search some of the MotoIQ archives, you will find settings for the OSG diff from [MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION]. However, there was a quirky part of the installed that was incorrect or showed incorrectly in the picture. [MENTION=14201]kuni[/MENTION] can shed some light on this if you're interested.

Nice set up. What aftercooler do you run?

Thanks. From my understanding the aftercooler unit is in house machined. We run the exchange to the front by the radiator (there just isn't room in the trunk). Heat is the enemy in these cars. The rumour I keep reading is that RTR NSX at it's final big push was too efficient for cooling.

Not sure if you've seen my thread but i've tried to document a lot of what you're going thru now. I tried different fluids in the transaxle for the OSG. I went thru a lot of cooling efforts for a CTSC style blower, etc. Anyway, great effort! Good luck!

btw.. if you search some of the MotoIQ archives, you will find settings for the OSG diff from @stuntman. However, there was a quirky part of the installed that was incorrect or showed incorrectly in the picture. @kuni can shed some light on this if you're interested.

I have read your posts :). I too share the pain in trying to remove heat. I have read the MotoIQ and it made me hungry for more info. Will contact Stuntman and Kuni - my search fu came up with nothing.

I'm still a little disappointed with OSG as the information should be a little more forthcoming; different type of fluids will also change the dynamics of the diff and the transmission. We'll see what happens when we drop the unit off.

Thanks. From my understanding the aftercooler unit is in house machined. We run the exchange to the front by the radiator (there just isn't room in the trunk). Heat is the enemy in these cars. The rumour I keep reading is that RTR NSX at it's final big push was too efficient for cooling.

I have read your posts :). I too share the pain in trying to remove heat. I have read the MotoIQ and it made me hungry for more info. Will contact Stuntman and Kuni - my search fu came up with nothing.

I'm still a little disappointed with OSG as the information should be a little more forthcoming; different type of fluids will also change the dynamics of the diff and the transmission. We'll see what happens when we drop the unit off.
I have to admit, it's been so long since we discussed Kuni's LSD. I'm testing my foggy memory at best. If anything Kuni might be able to tell you what to avoid in terms of reassembly. I can't speak in any level of detail because I wasn't involved directly and my OSG LSD was installed right out of the box. I chose to keep the stock OSG Setup.

From what I hear water temps hovered under 180F with the vortec SC. I can only imagine the aftercooler being just as cold too.
In the hottest of days 130-150F track temps, 100-115F ambient my ECT temps never get above 186F. That's with the MASiV radiator. What I don't understand is why are you measuring 180F as the benchmark for your aftercooler? My IATs hardly ever break the 130's F. Sorry, I guess i'm not following this post in my head.

If you drive slow enough, no car will overheat on track :p

Just kidding buddy ;). Looking forward to driving your car!
HAHA! Well mere mortals like me can't overheat it. I have no doubt, if anyone could, you could. I'd love for you to try!

btw.. i'm the typical bad student. Hard on the rev limiter and even harder on the brakes :(

Back