• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My first video with my new drone...

after wanting one forever and doing some research and deal shopping I finally picked me up a Phantom 3- 4K!!! Let me just say these things are simply amazing!!!

Been learning to fly more and more everyday as I cant put this thing down..the other day I tried out one of the smart features where the drone will follow you...So I took off and set the altitude to 100 feet, hopped in the car and crossed my fingers as I headed out to the park where I fly near my home....Thought I lost her as I noticed it lost signal, but luckily it just stayed hovering where it lost sight of me ,so I turned around and found it and safely landed.

this is just a quick video I made from the last couple days playing with my favorite new toy.

http://youtu.be/Ncw_Tog8o94

Looks cool man. What video editor app do you use for music overlay?

thanks !

I've been using GoPro Studio....it came with my GoPro that I got a few years ago:smile:

I need to upgrade my laptop though as it cant handle the 4K video, so this video was shot in 1080p.

Got a Mac Book on the way...hope it helps with the 4k

Cool, thanks. I just bought a go pro a few months ago and think I have that.I still need to tinker with my camera settings on my drone. My only gripe with the Yuneek is the android system it runs on and camera compression.I have everything apple in my home, but I couldn't get past the looks of the DJI. I might list mine for sale and get a mavic pro if the DJI works so well with Apple.

Very cool. What does it use to track you. Does it sync to the signal of the controller?

Yep... these things are flying robots with AI ... they're amazing

dc65b35dbe87be47f879cf2b0be5b9ef.jpg

Looks cool, I was waiting for it to follow you down Rainbow Canyon. :)

Your car looks good my friend.

Haha this tech brings in the potential for epic creeping and stalking esp of disgruntled exes....:eek:

Very interesting! Looks like you can't go that fast yet in the Follow-Me feature. The drone almost lost you when you made that left turn. I assume it's not ready yet for a track day? You'll be going A LOT faster.

Not trying to knock it at all. It's really pretty neat technology.

How long is your flight time? I assume it will last thru a 25min session?

Very interesting! Looks like you can't go that fast yet in the Follow-Me feature. The drone almost lost you when you made that left turn. I assume it's not ready yet for a track day? You'll be going A LOT faster.

Not trying to knock it at all. It's really pretty neat technology.

How long is your flight time? I assume it will last thru a 25min session?

I was being extremely cautious as you can see since it was my first try with it...not ideal to do it in neighborhood with lots of wifi interference...I did lose it as it started off over that house at the end.

I think it would work much better on a track, especially a short track like Thermal... The drone can go about 35-40 mph but it being in the air it seems faster and as long as it has signal it will try to keep up as best it can...would love to take it out to Thermal and test it out. You can always teach a friend to fly and that would be another option on track day. If they even allow it...

The battery life is about 25 minutes, so you need to get some extras....like any new hobby, the money starts to add up pretty quickly. :tongue:

Well worth it though so far....loving this thing!!!

What sucks is that around Sonoma raceway it is in a no fly zone. Therefore, it will not even take off. If anyone is interested in these cool toys, a quick internet search shows you the regulated zones by the FAA and they are EVERYWHERE. Some people cannot even fly over their own neighborhoods due to these areas close to airports.
But yes, generally speaking they will never be able to chase you down on track. But they can get some really good turning or drifting footage like they did at 2016 nsxpo.

I would think most car clubs renting the track would exclude individual hpde drivers' drones due to risks of falling onto the track, or just being a distraction...having a professional third party maybe.

^Exactly. They are a lawsuit waiting to happen at hpde events.

I would think most car clubs renting the track would exclude individual hpde drivers' drones due to risks of falling onto the track, or just being a distraction...having a professional third party maybe.

They had them at nsxpo Palm Springs at thermal , a professional company was allowed to film ... unless they are flying way too low, as a driver you'll never even see them. I don't remember seeing them during my sessions...if you're distracted by them as a driver you shouldn't be on the track as there are more important things to focus on...and barring a freak incident these things don't just fall out of the sky... They're damn near idiot proof. If the battery is running low or it loses contact with the controller it will automatically head back to its home(launch point) and land on its own.... But having said all that, I still doubt they would allow any amateur to bring the drone over the racetrack....

Last edited:
Nice work. The technology is amazing.

Back