• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for some help and guidence with my OEM Antenna...

I spend a considerable amount of time using the "Search" button and found some extremely valuable tips especially the write up by NSXT (Thank you).
I purchased my car with the antenna not retracting all the way down (about 5-6") of the mast stays up. Before I take on the task of ordering a new motor, I was hoping to tap into some of the more experienced owners here for some help/guidance. ;)

Like many others have experienced... the antenna goes up and makes a "gear slipping" sound for 3-4 seconds. It does this at the TOP (extended) and at the BOTTOM (when retracted).

1. So, after reading the very detailed DYI posted by NSXT, I ordered up a new OEM Antenna mast and set out to do the install. The install went in smoothly and was able to get the new mast in but still having the same issue. :( I tried and tried (maybe 20+ times) reinstalling using all the tips on from various posts about how to engage the new mast. I followed the orientation, stuck in the gear drive cable all the way down.... Still no luck.

2. I decided to take out the motor, open it up to see if there was a broken piece off the old antenna that was obstructing gears. Couldn't find anything.
I measured the old cable drive against the new one and confirmed they were the same length.

So....... before I take on the task of removing the motor and ordering a new one, any thoughts or advice? :)

Ps> I know there are many other options for aftermarket installment... but my goal is to keep the OEM appearance and functioning antenna.

THANK YOU in advance for any help or advice.

I spend a considerable amount of time using the "Search" button and found some extremely valuable tips especially the write up by NSXT (Thank you).
I purchased my car with the antenna not retracting all the way down (about 5-6") of the mast stays up. Before I take on the task of ordering a new motor, I was hoping to tap into some of the more experienced owners here for some help/guidance. ;)

Like many others have experienced... the antenna goes up and makes a "gear slipping" sound for 3-4 seconds. It does this at the TOP (extended) and at the BOTTOM (when retracted).

1. So, after reading the very detailed DYI posted by NSXT, I ordered up a new OEM Antenna mast and set out to do the install. The install went in smoothly and was able to get the new mast in but still having the same issue. :( I tried and tried (maybe 20+ times) reinstalling using all the tips on from various posts about how to engage the new mast. I followed the orientation, stuck in the gear drive cable all the way down.... Still no luck.

2. I decided to take out the motor, open it up to see if there was a broken piece off the old antenna that was obstructing gears. Couldn't find anything.
I measured the old cable drive against the new one and confirmed they were the same length.

So....... before I take on the task of removing the motor and ordering a new one, any thoughts or advice? :)

Ps> I know there are many other options for aftermarket installment... but my goal is to keep the OEM appearance and functioning antenna.

THANK YOU in advance for any help or advice.

As the you insert the old mast into the tube and motor, you need a second person to turn the radio off, when the mast starts to go down push lightly on the mast to help it go down, you may have to do this twice but it should be all the way down.
If not, the old and new mast cables may both be too long, cut 5 to 6 inches of cable off the old mast and retry, Good luck.

As the you insert the old mast into the tube and motor, you need a second person to turn the radio off, when the mast starts to go down push lightly on the mast to help it go down, you may have to do this twice but it should be all the way down.
If not, the old and new mast cables may both be too long, cut 5 to 6 inches of cable off the old mast and retry, Good luck.

Thanks, I'll certainly give that a try again and see. I did have someone turn on/off the radio in my initial attempts but didn't really push down lightly as it was going down. I would find the orientation of the cable, push it down as far as I could and instruct my buddy to turn "off" the radio and let the cable guide itself in... it would catch and grab the mast and go down but like I said, it would go down and leave about 5-6" up and make that annoying "gear slipping sound". lol.

I'll give it a shot... never thought about cutting the cable shorter but worth a shot I suppose. Thanks!

Thanks, I'll certainly give that a try again and see. I did have someone turn on/off the radio in my initial attempts but didn't really push down lightly as it was going down. I would find the orientation of the cable, push it down as far as I could and instruct my buddy to turn "off" the radio and let the cable guide itself in... it would catch and grab the mast and go down but like I said, it would go down and leave about 5-6" up and make that annoying "gear slipping sound". lol.

I'll give it a shot... never thought about cutting the cable shorter but worth a shot I suppose. Thanks!
I wouldn't normally suggest cutting the cable, but since you have two. Are you sure there isn't a broken piece in the motor? That piece that rotates in the mast motor may need to be oriented correctly as well, I think the open end faces inward, it may be the only way it goes in but I could be wrong. Its been a while since I have had one apart.

Last edited:
I wouldn't normally suggest cutting the cable, but since you have two. Are you sure there isn't a broken piece in the motor? That piece that rotates in the mast motor may need to be oriented correctly as well, I think the open end faces inward, it may be the only way it goes in but I could be wrong. Its been a while since I have had one apart.

Ok, thanks... I opened up the motor but didn't see any broken pieces. I broke it down as much as I could to see the inside gears but couldn't see much unfortunately. :/ I'll try to look again... thanks for the tips!

Ok, thanks... I opened up the motor but didn't see any broken pieces. I broke it down as much as I could to see the inside gears but couldn't see much unfortunately. :/ I'll try to look again... thanks for the tips!
You want pull the piece out in this thread below (which you may have done) and take a look in it for a broken cable. You can also wipe it down and lightly coat it with a light grease. http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/12404872-need-help-replacing-antenna-mast

Back