• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jeremy Clarkson NSX Review

The review is ridiculous and silly. Did he really review a sport car only in Quiet mode. Not a proper review-- which is not uncommon for Clarkson. His style is sometimes to front-load the review with a bunch of negative stuff and then conclude with "And then I discovered 'Track Mode' and it changed everything." But that balance was missing here.

He obviously has no subjective love for the NSX, which is fine. But he doesn't even attempt to support his conclusions with reasonable data or observations. #FakeReview . ;-)

Whatever, though. He likes to be controversial so no surprises here.

sorry Esprit, looks like no one is willing to touch this one mate.

these boys don't like a negative review... :hopelessness:

Because it's already been mentioned in this thread?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/200061-Chris-Harris-seems-to-like-the-NSX?p=1929307&viewfull=1#post1929307

Anyway as chrisn alludes too, Clarkson is a comedian first and foremost, and his last genuine car review was a long time ago. But that means naught to you fastaussie, if it doesn't meet your criteria, does it?

Silly Nannie review. :biggrin:

The review is ridiculous and silly. Did he really review a sport car only in Quiet mode. Not a proper review-- which is not uncommon for Clarkson. His style is sometimes to front-load the review with a bunch of negative stuff and then conclude with "And then I discovered 'Track Mode' and it changed everything." But that balance was missing here.

He obviously has no subjective love for the NSX, which is fine. But he doesn't even attempt to support his conclusions with reasonable data or observations. #fakereview . ;-)

Whatever, though. He likes to be controversial so no surprises here.

i'd disagree. he obviously loves the original NSX, and he loves quite a few other great cars too. there's a of Ferrari's he doesn't like, to name a few.

and Chris, come on, do you really think he tested the car in Quiet Mode for the whole review? he's not into it, a lot of people aren't. it's alright, fortunately there are other choices...

p.s. #fakereview , good shit! :biggrin:

Because it's already been mentioned in this thread?

Anyway as chrisn alludes too, Clarkson is a comedian first and foremost, and his last genuine car review was a long time ago. But that means naught to you fastaussie, if it doesn't meet your criteria, does it?

mate, means shit to me. Jeremy has driven a lot more cars than i have, and it's his opinion. he has the tele show about cars, i just some times work on tele shows with cars, or secret agents, or zombies or whatever?

something you boys don't realise, no one's opinion sways me on way or the other, until i have experienced it for myself. and i have.

oh, and sorry sadle, didn't notice the link in the other thread yesterday! however, no one touched it over there either... :wink:

I'm sure he explored all modes and I'm sure he honestly does not like the car. I'm just saying that the stuff he writes in the article doesn't help the reader get a fair sense of *why* he doesn't like the car. That's my objection. And that it should at least be funnier if he's going to write a review in that style.

I really not saying this in an NSX context, but I have come to really trust Chris Harris' reviews a lot in recent years, and only trust Clarkson to hear his emotional reaction (usually interesting at least). Honestly, I'm not sure why Harris likes the NSX so much. My explanation is he, like me, is in love with the vision of the future that the NSX represents. I think that dichotomy explains a lot of the polarization--- do you give credit for impressive engineering, even if it doesn't show up in the numbers (yet). Obviously it needs to show up eventually--- and the only NSX for sale today is the 2.00 version, so some will say "why pay for the future, when I can only buy the current car." But some just like to be early adopters.

I did enjoy his take on Honda's development time. :) Not dissing on Honda, but complementing Jezza's writing.

I did enjoy his take on Honda's development time. :) Not dissing on Honda, but complementing Jezza's writing.

as you should. there's a lot of truth behind all the bullshit. that's why it was the world's most watched documentary. their presentation is brilliant.

I really not saying this in an NSX context, but I have come to really trust Chris Harris' reviews a lot in recent years, and only trust Clarkson to hear his emotional reaction (usually interesting at least). Honestly, I'm not sure why Harris likes the NSX so much. My explanation is he, like me, is in love with the vision of the future that the NSX represents. I think that dichotomy explains a lot of the polarization--- do you give credit for impressive engineering, even if it doesn't show up in the numbers (yet). Obviously it needs to show up eventually--- and the only NSX for sale today is the 2.00 version, so some will say "why pay for the future, when I can only buy the current car." But some just like to be early adopters.

i agree with that, absolutely. it's a short "teaser" article i would imagine, to get you to read the full review in the magazine, or watch the television episode. that is certainly not the review in its entirety.

personally, i put a lot of stock in Clarkson's reviews of certain cars. because i know that he is a performance and technological enthusiast, like myself. and secondly, because he is a part of the British automotive press, and they say things like it is. as in the bike mags, if they don't like a model, they'll simply say it. they can be overly harsh in their critiques some times, but that is also part of their humour. it doesn't bother me in the slightest, probably because i'm an Aussie, with a similar sense of humour, and no desire to be the slightest bit concerned with political correctness. that is not exactly the American way, i have noticed. the American automotive press will always try to find positives, and they don't want to offend anyone (i remember an episode where Dodge wouldn't supply Top Gear with a Challenger for their Ponycar comparison because Clarkson had pissed them off by bashing one of their models at an earlier time, so they simply bought one and did the comparo anyway. i thought it was brilliant and funny as hell!). different cultures i suppose? us servants of the queen are a little but more loose perhaps? me, i simply want to know how the car or bike stacks up to the relative competition, because that's my interest. if i'm interested in a certain group of cars, let's say; R8 Plus, 911 Turbo S, and NSX. i'll want to know the opinions of journalists, that is their job. most people, unlike myself, do not get the opportunity to drive them all on road and track. so therefor their only real basis for comparison is to read a magazine or watch a Top Gear episode. and they are the experts who drive everything. so it is funny to me to listen to all the "armchair quarterbacks" as they say, talk about the conspiracy theories and trying to discredit professional journalists.

as for Chris Harris, i really love and appreciate his reviews also. i don't think he's very dissimilar to Jeremy. they both really love to drive the shit out of cars, and are emotional in their reviewing. the major difference so far is that Chris hasn't driven the NSX in the dry. until he does so, he has no idea of what the car is. there's simply no comparison and you can't glean anything about a Supercars behaviour without dry race track conditions.

many Primers aren't finding Clarkson's (and other's) reviews humourous because they're taking them very personally. that is clearly evident in how quickly people get pissy with anyone who doesn't lavish praise on the car. there's a very easily, noticeable pattern of that through all these threads.

as i have said before, more than once, i have no issues with the engineering and hybrid direction of the NSX. for me, the problem exists within its implementation. again, as i have said many times before. at this time, i think the NSX is just far too fancy for its own good. that's my opinion. i think that there are other cars i have driven which are far more simplistic and far more fun. i've stated that also many times. and, AS I HAVE ALSO STATED EVEN TODAY (just want to make sure all my haters are catching the important bits!), THE NSX IS A FANTASTIC CAR, each and every Supercar out there is! and, i have personally driven them all.

i'm trying to explain myself here as easily understandable, and as impartial as possible. because there are a few Primers here who love to hate, and i really don't give any fucks, absolutely none, so don't get me wrong on that either. and i also am not a cheerleader for Audi, Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren, Merc, or whomever. i have simply driven all of them, and like i do for other Prime members from time-to-time when they are being treated unfairly, i will simply stick up for those marques because i have driven them, and they are ridiculously amazing.

i was never an avid Porsche fan until i drove the 911 Turbo S. and then my opinion changed 100%. it's one of the funnest cars there are, period. then i drove the Cayman (perhaps best chassis of any road car, full stop) and the GT3. i wasn't especially an Audi fan until i started driving R8's. and i was never super keen on McLarens either, but after driving the 570S, i can't say enough about what they're doing over there. as for Ferrari, they will always rule the roost, simply because they are Ferrari and they build cars with passion. the Gallardo was a good car, but not a great one. the Huracan is light years ahead of any Lambo before it. the AMG GTS is absolutely not my kind of car at all, but when people were bashing it, i stuck up for it while Primers bashed me. i simple said, don't underestimate it, it's a serious machine. and you know what, it lapped Laguna quicker than the NSX with Randy driving both. i'll stick up for any of these machines, because i have driven them. but i wouldn't buy most of them. you're all free to believe whatever you want to about someone you've never met, again, no fucks given whatsoever. i get a lot of amusement out of all this banter, and so do a lot of other Primers. so carry on as you will. i like the NSX as much as i like most of the other Supercars i just mentioned, but it's not my favourite. i was hoping it would be, that and what might have been the reincarnated Esprit. but alas, neither were meant to be. such is life, and it will go on. i've got no worries... :cool:

Clarkson's really the only reviewer that hated the NSX and still he couldn't knock that it's an interesting car. Honda needs to hear the critique tho so they can hopefully move to progress and improve the shortcomings.

Are you kidding me? Clarkson is a wanker and the automotive equivalent of Monty Python. Harris is far more eloquent, talented, and a better journalist.

not at all. you're obviously taking his humour far too seriously.

many of his assertions on many car reviews are right on...

Clarkson's really the only reviewer that hated the NSX and still he couldn't knock that it's an interesting car. Honda needs to hear the critique tho so they can hopefully move to progress and improve the shortcomings.

there have been many reviewers that haven't dug the car at all. many. one of, if not the first, major review from (i think?) Motor Trend at the initial Sonoma test didn't like it at all. they said it shouldn't even have been called the NSX...

I don't think Clarkson is qualified enough for in-depth reviews. He is entertaining but I don't take anything he says seriously. I mean this is a guy who setup a test to prove the Prius gets worse MPG than an M3.

He's incompetent compared to CH, TIFF Needell, Jason Plato, etc... He's not humorous but even if you find him funny, he has very little actual useful content other than wild, exaggerated biases and opinions for "entertainment". Tells you little about the actual car. I did actually like the M3 vs Prius premise.

I happen to disagree with the Orangutan, as I think the new NSX is really a jack of all trades and does all reasonably well, but I don't let that get in the way of my enjoying Clarkson's particular form of humor. (I spent many enjoyable years living in England in my formative years, so I also understand his sense of humor in a different way from many Americans.)

Even so, he's something of a Hondaphile in that like many of us, he's a fan of the S2000 and NSX 1.0/1.5. Seems like similar to many posting here, he was looking for something from the NSX that just it didn't deliver on for him. Is that so wrong?

I loved his description of the development process, it was hilarious.

Last edited:
but I don't let that get in the way of my enjoying Clarkson's particular form of humor. (I spent many enjoyable years living in England in my formative years, so I also understand his sense of humor in a different way from many Americans.)

Even so, he's something of a Hondaphile in that like many of us, he's a fan of the S2000 and NSX 1.0/1.5. Seems like similar to many posting here, he was looking for something from the NSX that just it didn't deliver on for him. Is that so wrong?

I loved his description of the development process, it was hilarious.

i think it's all in the way you take his humour. it's his own style, and it's working really well for him and his shows.

and if he said, he loved the NSX, and it was the best thing he'd ever driven? well then, i can only imagine the conversation would be entirely the opposite...

He's incompetent compared to CH, TIFF Needell, Jason Plato, etc... He's not humorous but even if you find him funny, he has very little actual useful content other than wild, exaggerated biases and opinions for "entertainment". Tells you little about the actual car. I did actually like the M3 vs Prius premise.

I have to agree. I watched him on Top Gear, read a lot of his articles, and still watch him on Grand Tour. He cracks me up. However, as you said he is an entertainer, I take all of his reviews with a grain of salt. I am not saying the new NSX is a great/horrible car, I just won't put a lot of weight on what cars are great.

Fastaussie, don't you ever get tired of writing the same negative things over and over and over?

Did you like the Fifth Gear show from the mid-00's with those guys? I really did.

Did you like the Fifth Gear show from the mid-00's with those guys? I really did.

That was my favorite car show. I really miss it since it went off cable. While Top Gear entertains me, 5th gear was about cars. Not about rounding up cattle with a car or making a mobile home into a boat.

Tiff Needell & Jason Plato are awesome and give a far more objective description of the cars they review. I generally agree with Tiff, Jason, & Chris Harris' reviews on all of the same cars i've driven. Unfortunately Clarkson is more of an 'entertainer' and appealed to the masses more who aren't as technically inclined or interested in the cars themselves.

there have been many reviewers that haven't dug the car at all. many. one of, if not the first, major review from (i think?) Motor Trend at the initial Sonoma test didn't like it at all. they said it shouldn't even have been called the NSX...

I read that review, he didn't hate it like Clarkson did. He's never thoroughly owned the first gen NSX nor is he truly familiar with the original's history (Most owners aren't) so I doubt his fanboy quibble about what a true NSX is not worthy IMO. The V10 long nose concept car was not an NSX. It was more S2000 on steroids (hence the S2000 mule) than NSX if we're going to talk about mutations of a name/platform. Now if they would put that V10 in the current NSX chassis since it looks like it could almost fit it and ditch the emotors... :rolleyes:

Many have resonated the fanboy comment of the hybrid supercar not being an NSX and that the R8 or Cayman GT4 would be the closest successor, etc., however, the current NSX is the truest successor in principal sense if we were to do a checklist of items and similarity. The biggest difference is the complicated emotor drivetrain that has obviously been polarizing with controversy.

Back