• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine not turning over

I haven't started my 1991 NSX in a few months and when I tried it today, the engine would not even turn over. The odyssey battery checks good on my ctek charger and powers the headlights brightly. No headlight dimming when ignition key in start mode. 30 amp, 40 amp, and 50 amp fuses appear to be good looking at the top of them. Even did a ohm meter check on the 30 amp ignition fuse and it showed 0 resistance. I haven't looked at the factory service manual to see what the next trouble shooting test might be but thought I would post here to see who might have some suggestions.

Pick your poison:

The clutch interlock switch button dropped out.
The starter cut relay has failed.
The security control unit has a problem and is not grounding the starter cut relay.
The ignition switch is faulty.
The starter motor or starter solenoid is faulty.
A broken wire someplace.

Connect a voltmeter to the starter solenoid control wire. Turn the key to the start position. If you get 12v, then you know you have a starter / starter solenoid problem. If you don't get 12 v, then your problem is elsewhere. Missing interlock switch button and bad ignition switch are common causes of the starter motor failing to turn the engine over.

Last edited:
Spray starter fluid in the intake mainfold to see if its electric vs fuel related. If it doesnt crank over probably the main relay. I just went through this. Others will chime in im sure but this is what I did for a quick diagnosis and fix.

Listen to Old Guy. It's not a main relay if the starter doesn't turn. Shorting the clutch interlock may be quicker than testing voltage at the starter so worth a first try.

If no problems encountered before storage my vote goes to a sticky solenoid, give the starter a little tap while someone is trying to crank.

I have on occasion suggested doing this; however, my observation is that when successful, some people view this as a repair with the result that they are on occasion left in the lurch at an inopportune time. If the rap on the solenoid works, I view it as a reprieve with a plan to be made for the starter to be removed for cleaning of the solenoid and contacts (at minimum) and examination of the starter commutator or possible replacement of all and sundry.

I have on occasion suggested doing this; however, my observation is that when successful, some people view this as a repair with the result that they are on occasion left in the lurch at an inopportune time. If the rap on the solenoid works, I view it as a reprieve with a plan to be made for the starter to be removed for cleaning of the solenoid and contacts (at minimum) and examination of the starter commutator or possible replacement of all and sundry.

Agreed.

Back