• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally - My First NSX

Yesterday I brought home my new (to me) 1998 Spa yellow/black. Four hour drive was no where near long enough for a "getting to know her" drive - could have driven all day. Had two people wave me down on the interstate at 70+ mph to ask if I would sell her. All I can say is WOW. She lives up to all the comments here on Prime. Glad to be part of the community as an owner after lurking and drooling here for about a year. The advice of "learn all you can, be patient, and when you find the right one be ready to act" really paid off for me. Thanks Prime!

-Fitz

Attachments

• IMG_0364.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 446
no more drooling.....congratulations:biggrin:

Saw your post on the Prime FB. Congrats!

Yellow is HANDS DOWN the BEST color!! Congratulations!

Great color, great wheels, enjoy...

Aiken. Hoping to see some of you SC and NC folks at the meet in Raleigh in May.

Congrats! Tell us your search & purchase story.

I started looking seriously in March/April last year. Found NSX Prime about a month later. Watched the Prime forums and marketplace for while to be sure I knew what I getting into. Read the WIKI, lurked on the forums, watched the comments. Knew I wanted a Targa - that put me in the 95+ years. Found a well kept midnight pearl automatic on Prime/eBay. Watched it go thru 2 cycles without reaching reserve. Was going to contact the owner on a Friday afternoon but got a panic call from my daughter - by the time I got back to the owner Saturday at 10am he had sold it an hour earlier.

About a month later I found a great Brooklands with Tan in California. Bid it through 2 eBay cycles and was top bidder both times but neither reached the owners reserve. Contacted him later - danced for two months - finally settled on a potential price. Called Eiffel Chen in Atlanta to let him know I was planning on having the car delivered to his shop to have a top to bottom check up - he asked me a couple of questions about what I really wanted. I realized I was about to settle for an auto when I really wanted a manual. He also suggested (strongly) that I find the cleanest version of the car I could afford as many had found that buying "cheaper" often cost more in the end. Eiffel also told me not to be afraid of supercharged cars as long as you did some extra due-diligence on the engine and the car history. What awesome advice. I talked with the Brooklands owner and he fully understood.

Found another Brooklands green/tan (this time a manual in Indiana I think) on Bring a Trailer. Bid right to the end but was out bid by a gentleman in Florida after an impressive and enjoyable bid process (for those who've been on BAT you know what I mean with comments from the spectators flying between the bids). Convinced me I really did want a manual. Long period with almost nothing in my desired colors/years.

Suddenly in my small home town a 2001 Berlina showed up at a local chevy dealership. Went to see it, test drove it - cemented that I really wanted the NSX, and a 6-speed - but this one was in fairly rough shape and they wanted more than I was willing to pay at the time. While I love the blacks, that wasn't a color I was looking for. Good thing as the dealer sold it (internet buyer) sight unseen while I was still on the lot looking at it. Good lesson on "If it's the right car don't hesitate", but also reminded me not to settle.

Another long period with nothing coming up. Then I saw a spa yellow posted in High Point, NC with 39K miles. Fairly heavily modded. Talked with the owner several times, found earlier mentions of the car on Prime. Checked both CarFax and Autocheck (they really do often have different info). Learned some of the history of the car. Bought new by an Accura Service manager in California. In 2003 he had Autowave "fix it up" with a CTSC Whipple hi-boost, upgraded injectors, fuel pump, fuel management, tower strut bar, wheels, rotors and calipers from a 2003 with s/s brake lines and put Eibach springs on it. Dyno results were 385hp at the wheels. Had an RM header and exhaust installed. He also had the 4:55 short gears and a short throw shifter paired to a CT stage 2 clutch. Billet aluminum resevours replaced the plastic ones, HID headlights were added. Overall about $30K in performance mods - inside he kept stock with the exception of a titanium shifter knob. He was setting it up as a "show car".

Apparently he enjoyed it for a few years then sold it to someone in Hawaii - this owner (a Prime member) had it for about 18 months on the island (putting a couple thousand miles on it) then sold it to the owner I purchased it from. He's had it for 12 years and took it on a couple of deployments both here in the states and overseas. Overall in the 12 years he put less than 10K on the car. He actually had a '91 that he drove much more often. After retirement he put the car up for sale. I thought the car may be "more than I needed" so I let it go for a month or two - then the bug really bit. Tried to contact him but he was out of the country - finally tracked him down and we went back and forth for a couple months while he was "on vacation overseas". Finally in December settled on a price - had to wait till Jan when he got back to go see it and have the PPI done. The owner was a "car nut" and took exquisite care of the car while he had it. Paint is 10/10, interior is 9.5/10, PPI showed the engine was tight, clean and "almost like new". Based on my travel schedule I had to wait till mid Feb to go pick it up. 5 months from when I saw it till when I got it.

Brought it home on Valentine's Day. The rest is the beginning of history. One of the best unexpected things about actually owning an NSX is getting the two hours a day back that I had been spending every day looking at all the venues (Prime, eBay, cars.com, autotrader, etc) to be sure I didn't miss anything. I much more enjoy spending those two hours actually with the car.

-Fitz

Wow that is a crazy search story. I am glad it ended up in your hands. Searching for the right one can be very tiring. "Plenty of fish in the sea" doesn't really apply here... Seems like the previous owners were all legit though.

That's a great search story. Thanks for sharing.

ditto....

good story mate, and good on 'ya for holding out for what you wanted. especially the manual.

time seems like a fairly common factor with finding the right NSX. there's not a lot to choose from when you're looking for something specific.

my first NSX was the third one i intended to buy, and took almost 2 years from the beginning to the end of the search...

awesome story! thanks for sharing. ive recently begun my search for one too and its crazy how much time/research can go into just finding what i want before even finding the actual car that fits what i want. hope my story will be even half as cool! (when i eventually find one lol)

Great find, I know you're glad you waited! How many miles does it have? I would've been glad to take a look at it for you had you reached out, as I'm only a half hour away from High Point. At any rate, beautiful car and put a lip on her!

One of the best unexpected things about actually owning an NSX is getting the two hours a day back that I had been spending every day looking at all the venues (Prime, eBay, cars.com, autotrader, etc) to be sure I didn't miss anything. I much more enjoy spending those two hours actually with the car.

Ha ha so relatable! Big congrats to the end of the grind! Love the look with those wheels!

my first NSX was the third one i intended to buy, and took almost 2 years from the beginning to the end of the search...

Wow twinnies. My first (and hopefully last) NSX was the third I intended to buy after three GPW sellers accepted my asking price "offers" then reneged during my search that was about 12 days short of being 2.0 years long.

the first NSX i wanted to buy ('91 red/white, 5-speed) in NC sold before i could get there. i flew to DC for the second ('96 red/tan, 5-speed), got it checked out, agreed upon the price, and then the owner decided a week later he couldn't part with it. the third ('96 red/tan, 5-speed) showed up in Colorado on CL one night after i got done working. flew to Denver from Atlanta the next morning, the dealership picked me up and drove me to Boulder where the car was on consignment, had it checked out, and left them a offer that afternoon before i flew back to Denver. and finally after three cars and 2 years, i had my first NSX...

Great story which I (having found my '02 silver stone after many years of pursuit for The Right One) can really relate to.
I like to quote an old (Datsun/Nissan) ad/line which I believe may have originated from Mr K (father of the Z).
Life Is a Journey... Enjoy the Ride.

I will add that most any NSX color is the right color... for the Right Owner.

Congratulations to your purchase.
Nice color too. LoL
Now keep that 02+oem wheels and just get a 1inch spacers with integrated studs.

AMGNSX

Back