• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New to NSX Prime / Appreciation to Settle? / Good time to buy?

Hello NSX Prime!

My name is Tony and I am brand new to the community. Like most I have lusted after this car since I first laid eyes on it, and after learning more about the history, development, legacy...forget about it! I have watched these cars online off and on for the last 12 years. Now I am 36 years old and my career has finally made owning one of these a reality, and then what happens.......they go through the roof! I had originally planned to buy an 02-05 for 45-60k but that doesn't seem possible.
Great thing is I guess we now know the kind of miles these cars can handle and I plan on driving it...a lot.

Does anyone think the price will settle? Is it ok to purchase a higher mileage one and plan to drop 20k over the next five years restoring and making pristine? Should I wait or try to pull the trigger in the next twelve months.

Any food for thought is appreciated.

-Tony

When you find one for sale that you like depending on your preferences (color, NA1/NA2, mods, clean title) I would try and jump on it regardless of miles. I think condition/maintenance done is more important than the mileage on it IMO.

Welcome to Prime!

I put my some what more extensive thoughts in this thread from 2015: "So just what price will an NSX be in 5 years"

The short answer though is that I believe the NSX is still on an upward curve. The slope of the curve depends a lot on which car you buy, but by in large these are still a good value for what you get and you are likely to be able to sell it for about what you paid for (if not a bit more). The biggest way to lose money on a NSX is to try and get one "cheap" that has stories and end up sinking a ton of cash in to it. Don't believe the hype that this is "essentially an accord" - it isn't and repairs can be very expensive. Not Ferrari expensive, but also not standard Honda expensive either.

Unless you are buying for flipping or have enough money that you just don't care, I wouldn't worry much about mileage. Anything under 100k mileage is fine for a car you want to drive.

Thanks for the info and the taking the time to share your research! Definitely don't have enough money that I just don't care haha. I have a better idea of what car I need to get into so thank you!

I'm a dufus...

Last edited:
Lol sorry you needed to be a detective due to my neural tangles...:redface:

Great thing is I guess we now know the kind of miles these cars can handle and I plan on driving it...a lot.

Does anyone think the price will settle? Is it ok to purchase a higher mileage one and plan to drop 20k over the next five years restoring and making pristine?

Take it from someone who accidentally bought a pristine one while shopping for one I wanted to drive a LOT. Buying/making/keeping it pristine does not mix well piling on the miles. Suggest you pick one or the other and be ready for it to stay that way (unless you want to turn a pristine one into a driver, which is a lot cheaper and easier than they other way around). :) As for your $20k comment, if pristine is your goal then plan to spend $35k making a $20k car pristine, $25k onto a $30k car, $15k onto a $40k car....or just go spend $60 and be done with it. Or...spend $37-45k on one you can start piling on the miles immediately with few concerns, IMHO. Today it seems close to $40k is the entry point for a low risk purchase that's ready to roll.

Unless you are buying for flipping or have enough money that you just don't care, I wouldn't worry much about mileage. Anything under 100k mileage is fine for a car you want to drive.

Couldn't have said it better.

I'm a dufus...

Couldn't have said it... Well, I disagree with you, you is no a dufus.

Last edited:
I agree with onilink. Nothing wrong with buying a higher mile example as long as it's been cared for, especially if you're planning on driving it a lot. There are several owners here with well over 100k miles and still going strong. As for price, it would be nice (for current owners) if they suddenly became the next air cooled Porsches, but at any rate I'd get one when you find an example that ticks all of your boxes as the prices will more than likely continue to creep up. Whatever you do though, just make sure you purchase one that can make it across L.A. in 9 minutes and 37 seconds.:wink:

Back