• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

VIS Hood with terrible fitment

I purchased a CF type-R hood from VIS and was very excited to install it. I am not a gap nazi, however there is a level of quality I am not willing to accept. As you can see from the pictures, the hood does not follow the curvature of the fenders/headlights. Hood starts by the windshield being pretty close to level. Then towards the headlight, the hood dips below the headlight/fender. I wiggled and adjusted for a couple of hours and can minimize the lack of flushness, but it still looks bad.

What bothers me is that I looked at dozens of pics of other people's VIS CF hoods and they seem to fit fine. I don't know if this is a bad batch or not, but I'm sure I'll be told to suck it up and deal with it. Take my mishap and learn from it I guess...
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170220_141344.jpg
    20170220_141344.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 743
  • 20170220_141329.jpg
    20170220_141329.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 730
  • 20170220_135122.jpg
    20170220_135122.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 733
  • 20170220_135029.jpg
    20170220_135029.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 739
Getting an aftermarket hood that fits the nsx is a very difficult task. If you search on nsx prime you will find unfortunately that this has been discussed over and over

See above. You are to have to adjust rubber stopper and maybe make others to get it close. My downforce fit better than than but it still needed tweaking here and there.

Wow, that IS pretty bad. I've been hesitant to buy an aftermarket hood for this very reason. Maybe a good body shop could do some massaging and make it more presentable?

Tough buy man.... All aftermarket hoods fit like shit, it isn't nsx specific... You can also adjust the headlight covers to line up the headlights if you get the rubber stoppers to make it flow with the fender.:redface:
Good luck.

The rubber stoppers minimize the problem, but these pics are after the stoppers were maxed out. The issue here is the curvature of the hood, and to make it fit there would have to be a lot of load on those specific corners.

Getting an aftermarket hood that fits the nsx is a very difficult task. If you search on nsx prime you will find unfortunately that this has been discussed over and over

What's frustrating is that I researched this topic heavily and lots of people have had good luck with the VIS hoods. I don't even need a type-r hood to be oem quality, I just want it to follow the same lines!

Last edited:
Wow, that IS pretty bad. I've been hesitant to buy an aftermarket hood for this very reason. Maybe a good body shop could do some massaging and make it more presentable?

If it's this bad out of the box, I'm not going to take a gamble and possibly ruin it even more. Plus, there is a possibility of returning it (under a warranty option).

I'd try to send it back and if VIS doesn't accept it, dispute the charge.

It still looks as though it can be made somewhat presentable via adjusting the headlight covers. But I understand your disgust... You pay almost a grand for a hood and you want it to actually freaking fit....

That is not a great fitment, I have a VIS hood and it doesn't do that. The only issue I had with mine is that one side lifted up more at the very front edge so I installed hood latches to keep it down since its mainly a track car but the fitment everywhere else was acceptable
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2013-08-13 22.32.18.jpg
    2013-08-13 22.32.18.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 611
  • 2013-08-13 22.19.11.jpg
    2013-08-13 22.19.11.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
This hood is crappy. I am sorry to hear. I highly guarantee you that it will not fix the corners of the hood by adjusting the rubber like other posters have suggested. This is a defected hood right after it came out of the oven. Nothing that you could to adjust it, except return it.

I would go with either Procar ( Are they still around? ) and DF hood.

Last edited:
The problem is that...the NSX is hand assembled. All the cars are slightly different.
I went through 4 hoods...one of the hoods never saw the car.

When I received hood #3 , I got a call from Downforce...DO NOT INSTALL THAT HOOD, WE ARE SENDING ANOTHER ONE.
Basically they were have fitment issues, so they had 12 NSX's measured and took an average to make a v2 hood. They found that the 12 or so NSX's were very different.
But a hood made based on a 'average measurement' fit pretty well.

Good Luck

Do let us know the route you take and any return issues you may have. It helps new and unknowing owners from wasting cash. Thanks.

The problem is that...the NSX is hand assembled. All the cars are slightly different.
I went through 4 hoods...one of the hoods never saw the car.

I agree with this.
Hand assembled cars are unique fit and all are imperceptibly slightly different, I bet if you ordered an OEM hood, you would still have some fitment issues to tweak.

Not everyone likes the twin headlights. I believe the bike was converted.

https://motodemic.com/shop/triumph-street-triple-single-headlight-conversion/

I stand by what I posted but might be off on the model year.

Plus you can zoom in and see that on the side cover. We can wait for OP to verify.

yeah I wasn't really doubting you that's why I said "unless he took the twins off" I've owned plenty of Triumphs, the new design headlights are polarising in opinions like the new NSX.
to the OP the VIS hood is not perfect even the good ones but you have got a bad one here compared to a bunch of them

Back