• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Press Release For The Tours

Kind of strange that Honda did a press release for the tours but Acura did not

http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=9507-en

Far as I can tell, that is an Acura press release.

"Acura announced today..."
"About Acura"
"For More Information: Consumer information is available at www.acura.com."

Etc. Honda is never mentioned in the press release.

It simply that happens that all corporate info is hosted on the news.honda.com site. For both Honda, Acura, Honda Racing, Honda Power Equipment, etc.

They invite customers to "the making of their bespoke supercar"--a bit grand for letting customers choose options off a list (like Detroit has been doing since at least the 1960s). If and when Honda lets you get the seats covered in any material you want, pick any interior or exterior colors you want, ..., that would be what I'd call bespoke. I realize this is a press release and Honda can use the word however they want, but they are competing against a few companies that offer more specialized customization.

haha I just ordered my bespoke big-mac....from the drive through

They invite customers to "the making of their bespoke supercar"--a bit grand for letting customers choose options off a list (like Detroit has been doing since at least the 1960s). If and when Honda lets you get the seats covered in any material you want, pick any interior or exterior colors you want, ..., that would be what I'd call bespoke. I realize this is a press release and Honda can use the word however they want, but they are competing against a few companies that offer more specialized customization.

According to the Oxford dictionary "bespoke" means "Made for a particular customer or user." which is correct for the NSX.

Yes, the NSX is a bespoke product but to Tom's point, it ain't as bespoke as Ferrari.

Of course Ferrari will extract lots of dough in exchange for building a car with a lot of customization. I would also admit than their level of options for colors (exterior, interior, calipers), leather/alcantara configurations, wheels, seats, carpets is far more extensive that Acura before getting into their tailored program.

So I am just saying there are different levels of service out there when bespoke is what you are looking for.

My bespoke tailer in Chicago will put a suit on my back for about $1500. My bespoke tailor in London is closer to $5,000 (I only buy shirts from them).

According to the Oxford dictionary "bespoke" means "Made for a particular customer or user." which is correct for the NSX.
Sometimes a dictionary definition can be beside the point. By that definition any car made in response to a particular customer's order is bespoke, even if there aren't any options to choose from. Even docjohn's hamburger is more in line with what most people understand bespoke to mean (if, say, he asked for no onion).

Last edited:
"Bespoke" generally means "custom" and "made to order" versus mass produced (even with "options"). I think most people would say the NSX is "made to order" and "configurable," but not "bespoke." I think a fair litmus test is "A bespoke item requires the participation of the engineering design team to fulfill the customer's unique requirements."

A fast food burger (even if you can order it with or without lettuce) is not a bespoke meal. A personal chef with a stocked kitchen can make you a bespoke meal.

Honestly, there are more customization options on a Cayman than an NSX.

Why are we talking about this?

I have no idea, but I really would like a bespoke burger right now...

Why are we talking about this?
It's 2017. You can get custom-fit blue jeans (7 measurement points adjustable to your spec) for under $100. Manufacturing has gotten so efficient that customization is more practical to offer than ever. The Cayman you mentioned--you can get it in any color you want for less than Honda charges for blue on the NSX. (yes, it is a very nice blue)

I'm just amused that the NSX has an options list and Honda makes like it's an amazing opportunity to express yourself.

If i was paying msrp for one, i d expect a better deal than $2700. I ve been to the heritage center, a quick look at the factory just never got on the track.

Back