• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Battery Replacement

1991 Automatic

What is everyone using for replacement 12 volt batteries these days? Brand, and Group # please.

Thanks,
Frank

I prefer Interstate: MTP-24F

Used these many times, and have had oine in my NSX for about 9 years:).

HTH,
LarryB

HTH,
LarryB

Hi Larry,
For a manual trans car, do you recommend that one, or the MTP-35, which I believe is the OEM size for the manual NSXs? It's about 6 lb. lighter, with correspondingly less CCA, and 2" narrower. Some say the slightly wider Group 24 one fits in the plastic battery box better. Thanks.

Thanks, guys for your advice. I installed an Interstate MT7-34R, the listed replacement for an automatic. Fit securely under the bracket. It was an amazing $255 dollars but what can you say? It's my NSX!

I was running the Shorai lightweight battery setup that is available for sale through prime, but it just kept dying on me. I ended up installing an Optima yellow top out of a 2002-2006 Honda CR-V. It is much smaller than factory, won't ever leak acid and fit perfectly in the factory location using the OEM nsx battery tie down. I secured it using the shorter Honda/Acura tie down rods found on Integras, Civics. Looks great, saved massive weight and my car starts every time....and I am supercharged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using a car stereo power cell with battery terminals bolted to it, my friend had given it a try and it's worked great so far. Online specs of this battery go anywhere from 11.9-13 pounds, and it's usually 50-60$ at various online sources. I replaced a batteries plus XS power that was the group specified for the NSX, it was something like 60 pounds. Built tough as hell, but way too heavy. My car lives on a tender as well.

1991 Automatic

What is everyone using for replacement 12 volt batteries these days? Brand, and Group # please.

Thanks,
Frank

The automatic calls for a group 35 battery. I use the Group 35 in mine only because it fits better in the battery box and my car sits for long periods of time without starting. just slightly bigger than the 24-F (Interstate, or just go to the dealer)

The NSX Guru in Maryland, Ben Schaffer, is currently wrapping up a very thorough preventive maintenance and repair list on my recently purchased 95 NSX. As part of that task, he highly recommended, or should I say insisted, that I replace the existing battery with a Red Top Optima sealed battery, since any leakage from the battery will wreck havoc on the steering rack. Mine was luckily not leaking, so it was just preventative maintenance.
After witnessing his detailed inspection, the focused effort he has put into my car and just getting to know him, I can't imagine taking it to anyone else!

HTH,
LarryB

I've been running a group 35 battery for so long that I don't remember if the car came with a 35 or 24F when I bought it in 2000.

Costco (Interstate) sells the 35 for $75 and the 24F for $85. Just had to replace it in my wife's QX-60 and most books said it should be a 24F but what fits on it (and what was in there) is a 35.

My last Costco battery lasted about 9 years including a few deep cycles.

I have Mighty Max Battery AGM battery. Suitable for those who do not need a lot of power from their battery. This is an excellent model to consider for small and casual use.

Back