• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Sales figures > 1st of March

Arguably the sales have already dropped off on the NSX since there has been no apparent initial deluge of sales. Or more likely, we are in the initial deluge and it's going to peter out from here, barring a substantial price cut or act of god. I very much doubt that we're going to get any periodic updates and refreshes on this as Honda is likely going to be unwilling to make any changes when they're only moving a handful of cars per year.

Absolutely.

Buyers at this level know what they want. Sure you might be able to wine-and-cheese a couple more buyers, but every manufacturer actively markets their cars, has some sort of GT racing program, experiences the four seasons, etc. That shit is all already factored into the equation- they are not going to add sales. New sportscars don't sell X units at launch, and then a year later start selling X + 50%, or X + anything. Only way there is an uptick in sales like that is when you're coming out of a severe recession (eg 2009-10) or you have some equally severe price cut. This car launched into a strong market, so the only way for them to substantially boost sales would be to slash the pricetag.

bingo! i agree with both of those statements completely. if the NSX was gonna hit big, it would have done so right out of the gate.

that didn't happen. and there isn't going to be some miraculous surge in sales 3/4 of a year later. not after the car has been trounced in comparison tests and sitting on showroom floors all this time...

p.s. add to that several new models announced during that time which have upped the performance ante yet again.

bingo! i agree with both of those statements completely. if the NSX was gonna hit big, it would have done so right out of the gate.

that didn't happen. and there isn't going to be some miraculous surge in sales 3/4 of a year later. not after the car has been trounced in comparison tests and sitting on showroom floors all this time...

p.s. add to that several new models announced during that time which have upped the performance ante yet again.

You say this and I say this with the hope that HONDA will listen and do the right thing that can make the NSX replacement the great car it can and should be.
Unfortunately, the fanboys are so blinded by their love that HONDA, if they care to look at this forum, must think they have the best thing since sliced bread that inexplicably is sitting getting moldy on the showroom floors!

I hope that within a year or two with pitiful sales numbers, HONDA will finally see the light and give us what the NSX replacement deserves to be.
Lighter, much lighter; same or a little more power; nimble; the steering wheel that is alive in my sweaty hands and a sound that raises the hackles on the back of the neighborhood dogs and not be proud of leaving the driveway as quiet as a thief!!

Who buys a super car because it is so demure and quiet!

Last edited:
I also think some fire sale pricing will increase sales numbers.

It may be beginning. No reserve fleabay starting at $13k under msrp so if only one bidder steps up this would be the largest discount I have seen so far

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Acura-NSX-Base-Coupe-2-Door-/172577164177?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

This dealer has listed this car 5 times now over 3 months and started with an asking price of $219,300.00 and then $205,300 before the current drop.

Last edited:
Acura have made a boo-boo with the marketing of this car.

1. They should have organised events for serious customers to express their interest, all before the car was available to pre-order.
2. There should have been a pool of Acura-owned (pre-production?) test-drive cars available from day 1, that could be delivered to dealerships on nominated days for customers to try before they buy.
3. No dealer stock should have been allowed - if you want a car, arrange a test drive and then configure it to be custom built for you.
4. Enjoy your one-off car that has been built especially for you !

"Stock" sitting on a dealer floor goes against the whole configure-it-yourself ethos.
The two just don't mix.

The rest of the world have a variation on the 4-step plan above, why should Acura USA have it any different?

It took Acura a while to loan NSXes to magazines for full tests, which seemed odd at the time. Still seems odd really -- has any information come to light since then on what the delay was about?

It took Acura a while to loan NSXes to magazines for full tests, which seemed odd at the time. Still seems odd really -- has any information come to light since then on what the delay was about?

i would guess they were trying to iron out every issue and extract every last bit of performance they could from the car. they were way behind schedule on the NSX, and they knew it wasn't going to blow away the competition or the journo boys...

It may be beginning. No reserve fleabay starting at $13k under msrp so if only one bidder steps up this would be the largest discount I have seen so far.

This dealer has listed this car 5 times now over 3 months and started with an asking price of $219,300.00 and then $205,300 before the current drop.

inevitably, huge sale prices will be coming soon.

regardless of the myriad of excuses everyone has as to why the NSX isn't selling, the fact (actual or alternative, whichever you prefer) remains it is no where near as desired as some people thought, and it isn't selling. prior to the car's release, there was talk of a 3-year wait list. now, there are probably almost 300 of them for available for sale in any colour, configuration or with whatever wheels you want?

i refuse to believe that any individual couldn't find the exact car they're looking for, right now, at a pretty good deal...

I just got word i ve been granted a stab at a new gt3, point is, the configurator for the nsx is quite basic....i hardly call it a custom configured car.....there is only one wheel and only one color offering i like, limited colors. , no paint to sample and rudimentary interior options. I counted 15 offered colors for the gt3, multiple interior options

speaking of discounts. Here is a $182 build for 10k off, imo a better deal

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2017-Acura-NS...3D172577164177&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

Last edited:
BRZ's aren't exotic, nor are they Supercars.

i saw several of them today, haven't seen an R8 in weeks (at least). regardless, there is no comparing the two in any way other than having four wheels.

i think we're getting into two many categories now. the R8 is an exotic Supercar, plain and simple...

We are going off into a familiar tangent and everyone has their own definitions of supercar and exotic so it's no clear cut answer. I'm not saying the BRZ is exotic, but I'm saying for an idea, 30,000 R8s is plenty and not really exotic numbers. Lastly, my last jab is although the R8 has an exotic stance being mid-engine, it does not look exotic.

Just to put things in perspective tho, Ferrari sales about 15K cars per generation. The F430 had 15,000 units, the 458 roughly 15,000 units (This number has yet to be confirmed) and the 488 will probably be the same. About 5-6K goes into the US market. Ferrari knows they could sell 20K, maybe even 30K units worldwide at their $300K asking price fairly easily with the brand image they have but they decide to keep production balanced and exclusive. The Germans clearly do not care.

I just got word i ve been granted a stab at a new gt3, point is, the configurator for the nsx is quite basic....i hardly call it a custom configured car.....there is only one wheel and only one color offering i like, limited colors. , no paint to sample and rudimentary interior options. I counted 15 offered colors for the gt3, multiple interior options

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2017-Acura-NS...3D172577164177&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

Porsche has the volume in sales as they specialize in the 911 platform to afford such customization. Low production cars like the NSX are lucky to even have the thought of customization.

If Honda is planning to make this another 15 year car then that's going to be pretty heartbreaking. However, that's probably the best case scenario here since sales aren't going to justify another substantial R&D spend on a new model.

Sales fall off in subsequent years for any sportscar as it ages. There is usually a one, maybe two year surge of sales followed by a harsh decline. This is why most of the successful sportscar companies have a short product cycle between updates, refreshes and redesigns.

Arguably the sales have already dropped off on the NSX since there has been no apparent initial deluge of sales. Or more likely, we are in the initial deluge and it's going to peter out from here, barring a substantial price cut or act of god. I very much doubt that we're going to get any periodic updates and refreshes on this as Honda is likely going to be unwilling to make any changes when they're only moving a handful of cars per year.

If Honda is smart, they would introduce a completely new model that is a refined platform of the current gen 2 NSX in the next 6-8 years. This is how the competition rolls now.

Lastly, my last jab is although the R8 has an exotic stance being mid-engine, it does not look exotic.

i have to disagree. i think the last generation R8 looks plenty exotic. more so than this current generation NSX...

always liked the white and red. and that is an excellent deal. 2 days left, let's see if it goes...

i have to disagree. i think the last generation R8 looks plenty exotic. more so than this current generation NSX...
IMO .... It's a tad too tall for a true exotic. The R8 is 49 inches tall; the Huracan is 45.1 inches in height. The R8 is not as streamlined looking in comparison; even the new NSX is one inch less than the Audi.;)

Last edited:
US sales

Mar-2016 0
Apr-2016 0
May-2016 0
Jun-2016 02
Jul-2016 21
Aug-2016 22
Sep-2016 38
Oct-2016 67
Nov-2016 51
Dec-2016 68
Jan-2017 50
Feb-2017 46
Total 365

Production
Feb-2016 0
Mar-2016 0
Apr-2016 0
May-2016 04
Jun-2016 35
Jul-2016 46
Aug-2016 102
Sep-2016 122
Oct-2016 132
Nov-2016 151
Dec-2016 120
Jan-2017 159
Total 871
Do you have the production numbers for Feb. 2017

Feb US sales: 46...no production data yet.

here are Canada sales:
Jun-2016 00
Jul-2016 01
Aug-2016 04
Sep-2016 08
Oct-2016 14
Nov-2016 19
Dec-2016 04
Jan-2017 01
Feb-2017 00
Total 51

always liked the white and red. and that is an excellent deal. 2 days left, let's see if it goes...

I think most German car owners would even disagree with you on that. The R8 has always been about low-key styling. It's never really looked exotic.

We are going off into a familiar tangent and everyone has their own definitions of supercar and exotic so it's no clear cut answer. I'm not saying the BRZ is exotic, but I'm saying for an idea, 30,000 R8s is plenty and not really exotic numbers. Lastly, my last jab is although the R8 has an exotic stance being mid-engine, it does not look exotic.

Just to put things in perspective tho, Ferrari sales about 15K cars per generation. The F430 had 15,000 units, the 458 roughly 15,000 units (This number has yet to be confirmed) and the 488 will probably be the same. About 5-6K goes into the US market. Ferrari knows they could sell 20K, maybe even 30K units worldwide at their $300K asking price fairly easily with the brand image they have but they decide to keep production balanced and exclusive. The Germans clearly do not care.

As FCA continues to struggle the pressure to wring more profit out of Ferrari will intensify. Sergio Marchionne will up the production numbers; his alternative will be to spin the unit off to raise cash ( Ferrari wasn't floated as a public company because there was huge money in the IPO ) and I don't think he wants to do that.

What shit are you drinking mate? Most people would be hard pressed to pick a TT from an R8 at a distance. It's low and wide, after that meh.

no chance of that happening bud. about as much as the NSX being confused with a Civic or an Insight. although there are several similar design features.

i personally find the NSX to be rather "meh" looking, especially for a Supercar...

Funny how much tastes differ. While the interior of the R8 is awesome, the outside is bleh and the NSX beats it hands down in my book. I guess each to their own though.

indeed. i'm not a huge fan of the new R8 look. it definitely has a huge presence on the road however, it's very noticeable. like the NSX, it looks a lot better in person but i definitely don't love the look...

I think most German car owners would even disagree with you on that. The R8 has always been about low-key styling. It's never really looked exotic.

i doubt that. the old R8 stands out in traffic from a mile away. it's very slow slung, wide, and huge in the back. properly exotic looking. however the new NSX is very low key in terms of styling...

Most reviews and comparisons from European companies have mentioned the NSX as being the better looking car for the R8 and 911 variants.

Back