• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Sales figures > 1st of March

Acura would have to subsidize a true fire sale since dealers only have $30k wiggle room on a fully loaded and a lot less on one with limited costly options. But since almost all the allocations sitting in showrooms were "loaded" it will be an iteresting spring buyers market.
...which will be even more interesting with the first batch of used cars turning up on the market in 1 or 2 years.
They should cut production even though it hurts.

History is repeating itself.....

Flashback to May 1999. Acura introduced the Zanardi limited edition of 50 cars to all of us at NSXPO '99 in Monterey.

Later that same year - $10K discount from the dealer and $5K from Acura. Round numbers ended up at $75K +TTL

It's the 1990s back in the cycle again :rolleyes: Why pay $89K for a 290 hp Acura? Why pay $75K?

a bit different. Competition is stiff right now especially in that price range. I honestly think Honda/Acura should have released their civic type R first and go from there instead of leaping into the sports car game after so many years of being non-existent

Ironically, the Nissan GT-R has terrible sales too if you compare. All this from a car offering faster acceleration at a far lower price.
View attachment 142660

I would hope their sales aren't as amazing? this car is just copy and pasted from their 09 models. getting as much out of that chassis till the R36 is announced in 2020 at the olympics

Last edited:
My statement was sarcasm. I don't view the first gen as a failure in sales nor am I viewing the 2nd gen as a failure yet in sales as it's too early to say. People want 911 or first gen R8 numbers, but I never expected or wanted that and I've been speculating from the very beginning.

that's all fair enough, Acura isn't planning to sell R8 or 911 numbers.

but my query is this, out of the 800 they planned to sell in the US, will even half of that number be in actual private owner's garages?

Stop flooding the floor with over-optioned examples and build ones that are speced to the customers' wishes. Maybe too little too late on the over-zealous dealers' hand? Or is it? Either way, the produced cars have to be sold eventually to someone... even if it's for a discounted price. That's the dealer's fault and risk.

that's all fair enough, Acura isn't planning to sell R8 or 911 numbers.

but my query is this, out of the 800 they planned to sell in the US, will even half of that number be in actual private owner's garages?

Year 1 I don't think they'll have any problem selling 600-800 units. They were able to maintain about 50 units a month through the winter so there should be a bit of uptick during the warmer months.

Year 2 is where they may struggle to get to 400 units, but even then I think they have a good chance of getting there, especially if dealers are willing to negotiate. Year 3 will depend on whether they have any other trim levels to generate excitement, whether it be a spider, Type-R, Type-S, or whatever.

If the economy takes a tumble, all bets are off.

it will be interesting to see how non US demand is.....my impression would be that sales might be stronger in parts of the world that have a good honda/acura service network, that is more omnipresent than the competitions ....like maybe Asia..

it will be interesting to see how non US demand is.....my impression would be that sales might be stronger in parts of the world that have a good honda/acura service network, that is more omnipresent than the competitions ....like maybe Asia..

i would imagine sales of the NSX will be strongest here in America...

Stop flooding the floor with over-optioned examples and build ones that are speced to the customers' wishes. Maybe too little too late on the over-zealous dealers' hand? Or is it? Either way, the produced cars have to be sold eventually to someone... even if it's for a discounted price. That's the dealer's fault and risk.

this is a very common excuse on this forum, "people want exactly the car they want. they want to build their own car." maybe this is true? maybe it's not?

but any buyer who absolutely has to have an NSX, would've, and could've had one (or several) by now in any colour or spec they want. there's more than enough out there to get exactly the car any buyer desires. i think this is a very poor excuse, and ranks right up there with "Honda superior Supercar reliability"...

Year 1 I don't think they'll have any problem selling 600-800 units. They were able to maintain about 50 units a month through the winter so there should be a bit of uptick during the warmer months.

Year 2 is where they may struggle to get to 400 units

i'm talking about 400 NSX's sold in the garages of actual humans in America who actually purchased them. not cars manufactured, not cars at dealerships. actual cars in actual garages of actual buyers...

i'm talking about 400 NSX's sold in the garages of actual humans in America who actually purchased them. not cars manufactured, not cars at dealerships. actual cars in actual garages of actual buyers...

The sales numbers Acura publishes are exactly that, you can look them up yourself at acuranews.com. It would be a huge no-no to falsify those numbers, with real legal ramifications.

First NSX was sold last June, and counting from published sell-through numbers, they're already at 365. I'm willing to wager they'll sell 35 cars between now and June 2017.

Last edited:
so they should clear 400. but at their current rate, they'll fall far short of 800.

they'd be unlikely to sell 500 NSX's, which by anyone's admission has to be considered a significant failure...

Vehicles produced will be sold. They have floor plans costs that will motivate the dealers to sell when the clock starts ticking, even at discounted rates. This was how McLaren sold 3500 12Cs. Not because there was that much demand for them.

There is a huge difference between $156K and $200K for some extra carbon parts. This is not Ferrari where they have established a brand and waiting list. It's another (hopefully not tho if they are smart enough to evolve the car properly) One-Off from Honda, the 8th largest car manufacturer in the world, so they are not know for having a prolific following to translate into major one-offs sales.

It's another (hopefully not tho if they are smart enough to evolve the car properly) One-Off from Honda, the 8th largest car manufacturer in the world, so they are not know for having a prolific following to translate into major one-offs sales.

Fortunately passed on this one........

Honda announced in a press release on October 10, 2012, that 2013 would mark "the final year on the market for ZDX as the Acura brand sharpens its focus on new models and core products."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_ZDX

Vehicles produced will be sold. They have floor plans costs that will motivate the dealers to sell when the clock starts ticking, even at discounted rates. This was how McLaren sold 3500 12Cs. Not because there was that much demand for them.

regardless, McLaren sold at least 1750 12C's the first year. according to G.Irish, Acura is currently at 365 NSX's after 10 months...

my point is it would be interesting to compare the sales for Asia vs lambo/Ferrari/mclaren in those markets...we already know how the US is going

Fortunately passed on this one........

Honda announced in a press release on October 10, 2012, that 2013 would mark "the final year on the market for ZDX as the Acura brand sharpens its focus on new models and core products."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_ZDX

I kind of liked the ZDX. It's weird and strange but different. Acura in general, is a weird and one-off quasi-luxury brand.

so they should clear 400. but at their current rate, they'll fall far short of 800.

they'd be unlikely to sell 500 NSX's, which by anyone's admission has to be considered a significant failure...

Again, you're not getting the big picture. Honda already has an intended number of production units they will meet so that they can see X amount of profits from the factory. They will trickle that production to dealers across the nation and let them fend for themselves for how much they can sell it for. 800 is Honda's supposed intended numbers. This was why there were surveys and feelers done for pre-orders to plan a strategy on how many units they are willing to commit to without committing financial suicide. They are not just letting the sales team dictate how many units are produced. That would be extremely risky and not how business is done generally for the mass of car production and sales.

McLaren has a different strategy. Their generations of sports cars only last a few years before it's replaced by a fresher model. So they are flooding the floor with higher production numbers and letting the McLaren dealers try and sell them all eventually.

There is a huge difference between $156K and $200K for some extra carbon parts. This is not Ferrari where they have established a brand and waiting list. It's another (hopefully not tho if they are smart enough to evolve the car properly) One-Off from Honda, the 8th largest car manufacturer in the world, so they are not know for having a prolific following to translate into major one-offs sales.

i hope you're right? some of the potential buyers i knew of.. got some seat time and passed on purchasing. I asked them what price range they would even consider and they were saying 125k or so. I don't know how much of a loss each dealership is willing to take or how heavy they can discount them.

also Porsche just announced the GT3 revival with manual, huge pre-order sales on that already and if they do announce the GT4RS.. I could only see the new NSX being a thing of the past even though it just came out.

Last edited:
my point is it would be interesting to compare the sales for Asia vs lambo/Ferrari/mclaren in those markets...we already know how the US is going

Been back in Japan for another 3 weeks, and I have not seen a NSX2.0 on the roads in the Kansai area so doubt that there are many roaming around. It has been a couple of months since I have been up to the Kanto area (Tokyo) so it might be a bit different up there.

In contrast I see plenty of F-cars, L-cars, McLaren's, Benz, Maseratis, as well as P-cars that I see almost every day.

Been back in Japan for another 3 weeks, and I have not seen a NSX2.0 on the roads in the Kansai area so doubt that there are many roaming around. It has been a couple of months since I have been up to the Kanto area (Tokyo) so it might be a bit different up there.

In contrast I see plenty of F-cars, L-cars, McLaren's, Benz, Maseratis, as well as P-cars that I see almost every day.

i have seen one NSX since the car came out, here in L.A. and no where else, none of the other states or countries i have been in since then. i've seen several LaFerrari's, 918's, P1's, F1's, and a bazillion Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, McLaren's, Audi's and Porsches...

some of the potential buyers i knew of.. got some seat time and passed on purchasing. I asked them what price range they would even consider and they were saying 125k or so.

that's very interesting, and the first time i've heard anyone say that. a lot of posters had believed that if Acura offered test drives or seat time, there'd be a lot more buyers. but you have just given evidence of the complete opposite...

They've already produced 800 units according to the numbers, most of which are probably fully loaded. They have to sell those cars eventually. If the dealers are smart for the 2018 year, they would option the cars with more standard pricing features and popular colors so that they can move them fast instead of waiting for payday for the fully loaded carbon models.

interesting....when this car became a reality I was worried there would be some jdm emotional backlash because it is made in america.....

that's very interesting, and the first time i've heard anyone say that. a lot of posters had believed that if Acura offered test drives or seat time, there'd be a lot more buyers. but you have just given evidence of the complete opposite...

That is very interesting. I'd say 99% of dealers will not allow a test drive on a NSX in stock. Maybe if the dealer principal was in and allowed a customer to drive his personal NSX. Otherwise there really hasn't been that many opportunities for a customer to drive one...which I will totally agree is a major detriment to selling the car. They just started touring the country with about half a dozen cars doing test drive events in big markets. There was a event in Monterey last year where a handful of people got to drive the car. Other than that, it's just been the press. And most members of the media don't actually make enough money to afford the car if they actually wanted to buy it.

i have seen one NSX since the car came out, here in L.A. and no where else, none of the other states or countries i have been in since then. i've seen several LaFerrari's, 918's, P1's, F1's, and a bazillion Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, McLaren's, Audi's and Porsches...

That's awesome! Thanks for the info. In SF Bay Area, Porsches of all variants are as common as Accords in some markets. I see R8s and Ferraris daily, Lambo's almost as often. McLaren's will still turn my head-- pretty rare on my commute, but several prowling around Palo Alto. Great to know that the NSX is still a rare and exotic car to drive, even in "major markets."

That is very interesting. I'd say 99% of dealers will not allow a test drive on a NSX in stock. Maybe if the dealer principal was in and allowed a customer to drive his personal NSX. Otherwise there really hasn't been that many opportunities for a customer to drive one...which I will totally agree is a major detriment to selling the car. They just started touring the country with about half a dozen cars doing test drive events in big markets. There was a event in Monterey last year where a handful of people got to drive the car. Other than that, it's just been the press. And most members of the media don't actually make enough money to afford the car if they actually wanted to buy it.

what's interesting to me is that the prospective buyers who drove the car didn't want to buy it afterward...

They've already produced 800 units according to the numbers, most of which are probably fully loaded. They have to sell those cars eventually. If the dealers are smart for the 2018 year, they would option the cars with more standard pricing features and popular colors so that they can move them fast instead of waiting for payday for the fully loaded carbon models.

we're talking about the 800 NSX's slated for the U.S., of which G.Irish said there are 365 in actual garages.

That's awesome! Thanks for the info. In SF Bay Area, Porsches of all variants are as common as Accords in some markets. I see R8s and Ferraris daily, Lambo's almost as often. McLaren's will still turn my head-- pretty rare on my commute, but several prowling around Palo Alto. Great to know that the NSX is still a rare and exotic car to drive, even in "major markets."

one of the unintended benefits of a weak selling Supercar...

Back