• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Sales figures > 1st of March

Not bad! Here is a quick chart to show how it stacks up to similar cars. Note, the Porsche 911 was not included because it was WAY off the chart with sales above 500 units/month

CwKIIQ.gif

Last edited:
Cool info!

However I don't believe the i8, AMG, GTR or Viper should be included on this list.

Those are not the real competitors, what happened to the Lambo, Ferrari and most importantly the McLaren 570s????

My list of natural competitors are R8, 570S and 911 Turbo

regarding the Canadian sales numbers, we do not know how often they are building cars for Canada so low/no sales could be due to no cars coming to market

at this point we still believe they are building 2/3 of output for the US and at some point it will be half for US and half for ex US

if production is at 8 cars per day and 4 days per week and assuming the plant runs 48 weeks per year annual production will be about 1536 cars for global delivery

I think we need to clarify something. The official figures shows car sales per months. That means a lot of them are not yet build! I could imagine that JAN & FEB sales are only going to be produced and delivered. There is no big movements on cars.com on long time listed cars!

Last edited:
Hi Rene

the sales category is limited to cars that a customer has purchased, so a car on the lot or an ordered car would not count

Cool info!

However I don't believe the i8, AMG, GTR or Viper should be included on this list.
Those are not the real competitors, what happened to the Lambo, Ferrari and most importantly the McLaren 570s????

Well, two comments:
1) Goodcarbadcar.net doesn't list Lambo, Ferrari or McLaren so I couldn't pull their data
2) McLaren 570s is a competitor although it is a good 10-15% more expensive than the NSX by most any calculation. Not a big deal, but it is comfortably in the over $200k market whereas the NSX can sort of pretend like it is sub-$200k. The Lambo & Ferrari are in a different league and price point. The new NSX is a competitor for a used 458 or Gallardo, but other than being a novel budget alternative, I don't see it as real competition for either the bull or pony based on just about any measurable data point.

US sales

Mar-2016 0
Apr-2016 0
May-2016 0
Jun-2016 02
Jul-2016 21
Aug-2016 22
Sep-2016 38
Oct-2016 67
Nov-2016 51
Dec-2016 68
Jan-2017 50
Feb-2017 46
Total 365

Production
Feb-2016 0
Mar-2016 0
Apr-2016 0
May-2016 04
Jun-2016 35
Jul-2016 46
Aug-2016 102
Sep-2016 122
Oct-2016 132
Nov-2016 151
Dec-2016 120
Jan-2017 159
Total 871

If those production figures are correct, they aren't that bad as the sale are only U.S sales. Maybe a little optimistic, but again not as bad as I thought or as people seem to be posting about.

Put them in to chart form, because charts are cool.
hWwiuZ.gif

Production
Feb-2016 0
Mar-2016 0
Apr-2016 0
May-2016 04
Jun-2016 35
Jul-2016 46
Aug-2016 102
Sep-2016 122
Oct-2016 132
Nov-2016 151
Dec-2016 120
Jan-2017 159
Total 871

Great info.
I've looked for production figures but never found them
Where did you source them?
Thanks

Don't know if you have seen this CNET piece,
It is not a good car/bad car article but rather talks of the reasons for a slow lift off for the long awaited super car. Unbiased and reasonable I think.
------------------------------
Is Acura's NSX hybrid supercar struggling amid slow early sales?
The hotly anticipated Japanese sports car appears to be stumbling out of the gate. Here's what's going on.

by Chris Paukert
Updated: February 1, 2017 1:51 PM PST
Acura's midengined hybrid supercar, the NSX, arrived on the market last year carrying the weight of great expectations on its athletic shoulders. The long-awaited successor of a now-iconic 1990s sports car, the 573-horsepower NSX was one of 2016's most hotly anticipated new models, with early talk of year-plus order waitlists and splashy magazine cover stories to accompany its June arrival in dealerships.

But now, just eight months after the first customers received their cars, there are early warning signs the NSX may be struggling to find traction in the marketplace. A quick search of new-car classifieds websites reveals dozens of unsold models sitting at dealers, with a sizable number being offered at or near MSRP. As of this writing, Cars.com shows 165 examples for sale around the country. Autotrader.com has 170. eBay Motors lists just 18 examples up for sale, but none of them has a registered bid. (Some of these listings are duplicates between sites, while others may be tied to dealer orders and not yet in stock, but a majority of them look to be in showrooms, ready for purchase.)

Those inventory numbers are remarkable given that Acura sold just 269 new NSX coupes in North America in 2016, and they're unusual in the rarified air of supercar sales, where new models from high-end automakers such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren or Porsche are often the subject of order queues that are months (if not years) long, and sticker prices are routinely driven up by speculators.

Acura declined to disclose how many NSX units it has in inventory.

2017 Acura NSX
Acura's dynamic NSX is thrilling to drive, but is that enough?
Photo by Nick Miotke/Roadshow
Honda's premium brand, for its part, is downplaying any concern. "In general, we're really, really happy with how NSX has been received by customers and media," said Honda spokesman Matt Sloustcher. He further notes that peak NSX production -- six to eight units per day -- was only reached in late 2016 at Acura's Performance Manufacturing Center in Marysville, Ohio.

Sloustcher also states that around half of early production cars were "dealer coverage units" instead of orders for specific customers. "There is benefit to having cars in dealerships in terms of getting eyeballs on the car, and interest in showrooms," he said. Models like the NSX are often referred to as "halo cars," vehicles designed to capture the attention of the buying public and media, in turn putting the entire brand in a more positive light. The hope is that such cars draw showroom visitors and that some drive out in less expensive new models -- perhaps an MDX crossover or TLX sedan.

Those early-build NSXes were also disproportionately highly optioned cars, and stocking such expensively specced examples may have unwittingly been a purchase deterrent for some buyers. Many early inventory cars carried sticker prices of close to $200,000, in part because they were equipped with costly carbon-ceramic brakes (conventional iron-brake cars are still not yet widely available, Sloustcher notes). That's not unusual -- automakers routinely front-load production of more expensive, high-option-count models when introducing new cars, because early customers are more likely to be willing to pay for the privilege of being first on the block with a hot new car. Additionally, having particularly well equipped models in dealers shows prospective customers the breadth of equipment that's available.

2017 Acura NSX
The NSX's driver-centric cockpit is all business.
Photo by Tim Stevens/Roadshow
Even with what looks to be months' worth of inventory based on current sales rates, Sloustcher says customers are still custom-ordering cars. "They want the calipers they want, they want the seat materials they want... we're taking orders at a good pace." US built-to-order cars can take around three months to fill.

The NSX is a very ambitious product -- not just in terms of performance, but also price. Its $156,000 MSRP is nearly three times as costly as the RLX, Acura's slow-selling $54,450 flagship sedan. That pricing gulf is reason for concern, says IHS Automotive senior analyst Stephanie Brinley. "Acura's challenge with the NSX is to generate both awareness and consideration amongst the target high-dollar sports car buyers who would appreciate the technology and performance of the NSX. While the pricing is consistent for the segment and level of technology, it is a big jump for the Acura brand." Fellow industry analyst Dave Sullivan, manager of product analysis for AutoPacific, agrees: "There is a huge gap here for being a halo car," he said.

Industry watchers also point to the NSX's long road to production as being a potential impediment to its sales success. As IHS' Brinley notes, "The long, slow rollout of concepts teasing the final NSX may have worked to [its] disadvantage. With its appearance on the auto show circuit for several years before the production car was available, momentum from the initial excitement may have slowed." Ken Elias, partner at industry consulting firm Maryann Keller & Associates, agrees: "The vehicle took a long time to gestate from when it was first announced so interest likely faded... and Acura really didn't promote the vehicle when it was ready for sale."

Acura's NSX on display at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show, sans turbo power.
Photo by Tim Hornyak/CNET
Indeed, the NSX had a long and tortured gestation like few other automobiles. Acura first announced it would build an NSX successor back in late 2007, a car that was developed as front-engined, V10-powered coupe. Despite reaching advanced prototype stage, that model never came to market, thanks to the worldwide economic collapse. A wholly different NSX with a naturally aspirated V6 and hybrid tech was subsequently developed and shown in 2012, but that all-wheel-drive design was again extensively changed when the decision was made to go with turbocharged power, a move that required reorienting the engine longitudinally, requiring yet more engineering time and further delaying the program.

AutoPacific's Sullivan also thinks there may also be a philosophical disconnect between the celebrated original NSX and this second-generation model: "It has no relation to what the original NSX was or even breaks new ground like the original."

North America's exotic car market segment is small, notoriously expensive to enter, and generally not kind to outsider brands. At the moment, it's also thick with talented newer entrants, including the Audi R8, BMW i8, McLaren 570S/570GT range and the Mercedes-AMG GT-R, among others. Analysts I spoke with suggest there might not be enough premium pie to go around. As Elias at MK&C notes, "The simple fact is that the exotic space has gotten crowded... with lots of choices from a variety of manufacturers. Back in the early 1990s, the NSX was somewhat more unique... and the Acura brand was on the upswing."

Acura may be struggling to find its way as a brand, but reviews for the fully baked production NSX have been very positive. It has won numerous awards, and indeed, the car was very favorably reviewed in Roadshow's own pages. If the NSX is struggling to find buyers, it may simply be that its small sales niche is already overcrowded. In other words, it's time to buy more sports cars, America.

Despite how long it took to get the NSX to market, Acura remains optimistic about the model's future, buoyed by December sales of 68 units and January sales of 50 units, two of the model's strongest sales months to date. Up to this point, most purchases have been sight unseen, absent of units available for test drive. "We will do more to market the car from a Tier-1 level," Sloustcher says, noting that the company's "NSX Insider Experience," which includes seeing cars built at the factory and a test drive on Acura's adjacent track, is just coming online. Plus, sports cars traditionally sell best in spring and summer.

Sloustcher says that in the end, whether the NSX is judged to be a success won't purely be a question of sales: "For us, it's about changing people's perception about who Acura is and what we can do, and there's no better way to do that than a supercar."

Very good overview on the NSX sales/marketing situation. Only one thing that disturbs is that Sloustcher only describes the US market. No word on how this car is assumed by the rest of the world, Asia, Europe,...

Sloustcher is Head of PR for Acura, nevertheless NSX's are all produced in the same plant and production numbers shows summary of ACURA & HONDA NSX's.

As there are more & more rumors on bad NSX sales numbers it would be important for them to show the complete picture.

Last edited:
But now, just eight months after the first customers received their cars, there are early warning signs the NSX may be struggling to find traction in the marketplace.

The problem is that the numbers aren't backing up that claim. The NSX does not appear to be struggling to find traction at all, it appears to be doing just ok in the marketplace based on the sales of comparable vehicles. You can even compare Autotrader numbers for the 2017 Audi R8 and 2017 NSX and find similar numbers: 190 R8s listed for sale, 217 NSXs.

Is it losing to other brands? No doubt. But not by a significant margin.

The reality is that this is a crowded market and Acura can pretend any way they want, but the "A" on the front is not the same as a pony or bull. For that matter, 5 rings doesn't seem to be either.

The problem is that the numbers aren't backing up that claim. The NSX does not appear to be struggling to find traction at all, it appears to be doing just ok in the marketplace based on the sales of comparable vehicles. You can even compare Autotrader numbers for the 2017 Audi R8 and 2017 NSX and find similar numbers: 190 R8s listed for sale, 217 NSXs.

Is it losing to other brands? No doubt. But not by a significant margin.

The reality is that this is a crowded market and Acura can pretend any way they want, but the "A" on the front is not the same as a pony or bull. For that matter, 5 rings doesn't seem to be either.

I don't necessarily agree with that. According to the numbers above 58% of the NSXs produced are unsold. What percentages of the other cars are sitting around collecting dust in dealerships? Cars.com is showing 214 new NSXs listed (an all time high).

Last edited:
Without knowing the production numbers of other cars, I can't answer that.

I can comment on the sales numbers though since that data is available. Over a 5 month average, it is lagging behind all of its rivals but only losing badly to the BMW and Mercedes. The R8, GTR and Viper are doing better but only by a bit. My read on this is that there just aren't that many buyers out there for cars in this price range. Maybe the prices climbed too high too quickly, I don't know. It seems to be impacting ALL the vehicles in this segment though rather than being a NSX specific problem.

By the way, Cars.com lists
- 330 2017 Mercedes AMG GTs
- 197 2017 Audi R8s for sale
- 219 2017 Nissan GT-Rs
- only 34 2017 BMW i8s
- only 42 2017 Dodge Vipers

From that, Dodge and BMW are the clear winners. Dodge by probably keeping production very low (they have a LOT of customization) and BMW by keeping their cost lower with a weaker performance.

Last edited:
The difference I see is the Mercedes sold 500 AMG GTs in its first two months when it came out and the NSX only 365 in nine months.

The difference I see is the Mercedes sold 500 AMG GTs in its first two months when it came out and the NSX only 365 in nine months.

That is a great point and 100% valid. You could also note that the 1991 NSX sold 3,000 units in the U.S in its first year and its successor is looking like it will come no where near that mark.

I guess I just am surprised that the NSX isn't getting killed more than it is. The numbers don't seem that bad to me. Worse than other brands in the genre? No doubt. Not that bad though. If I were Acura though, I would seriously scale back production though and kick the optimist who ever suggested that they were going to get high sales volume. They will do well to get 1,000 sales world wide per year in my opinion and anything beyond that is a pipe dream. If I were in charge of production, I would plan to generate around 600-700 units per year and let limited supply hold demand. I doubt they will do that though

The dealers thought their would recoup their investment very quickly by taking their allocations for themselves and marking them up as much as $50k over sticker when there was already $30k of profit in a highly optioned car. That leads to the next point - virtually all of the dealer spec'ed cars were fully loaded and came in at over $200k. Now you are asking the buying public to ignore a big selling point (personal configuration for all aspects of the car) and then take someone else's spec, a dealer, lose your individual cache and pay a premium to get it. Then dealers were stuck with initial allocations and couldn't resist ordering the second and the third despite the fact the first was never sold and a glut forms where any smart buyer (presumably most buyers in a $200k car market) would wait it out and when the bubble bursts snap up a dusty over-optioned one for $175k instead of $206k.

The way the system is set up, Acura essentially gave each participating dealer the right to receive a certain number of cars per year and at this point dealers having been taking all they receive an in a few cases transferring some of the allocation to bigger volume dealers

For the time being Acura is kind of stuck with their production rate.

i drive past a small dealer in Highland Park every day and now they have 2 in their tiny show room, and I believe they still have the first one they received that they wanted $50k over a >$200k sticker.

The way the system is set up, Acura essentially gave each participating dealer the right to receive a certain number of cars per year and at this point dealers having been taking all they receive an in a few cases transferring some of the allocation to bigger volume dealers

For the time being Acura is kind of stuck with their production rate.

i drive past a small dealer in Highland Park every day and now they have 2 in their tiny show room, and I believe they still have the first one they received that they wanted $50k over a >$200k sticker.

I don't know anything about how long a dealer can wait with this type of inventory but I have to imagine someone is going to have to have a fire sale sooner rather than later when these have been on the showroom floor longer than 6 months with no bites and once the first dealer slashes the pricing then the floodgates will open and buyers will be getting some great deals.

That's similar to Limerick who still has their first allocation and now a second and neither have gotten any interest on fleabay despite multiple re-listings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Acura-NSX/232259431346

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Acura-NSX/232259431569

I believe their expectation is once Spring arrives, the cars will depart the show rooms with gusto.

I believe their expectation is once Spring arrives, the cars will depart the show rooms with gusto.
Well, if these were birds it is possible they might, but given that these are merely cars, I seriously doubt it :)

The West coast is essentially always blessed with springtime like weather and is the largest market.

No, I suspect that the cars will move out of dealerships and into owner hands with anything resembling a serious trend when the dealerships start offering these technological
marvels at below the MSRP. However there are potential buyers out there, like myself, who would still not bite and will happily wait for either a non hybrid version or if such is not forthcoming to look elsewhere. We waited many long years for this car, what is a few more 😉!

Cheers.

we've sold 2. have 2 on hand.

we have plenty of money in the area, but with 6 acura stores within 30 miles of each other, it sucks. plus there are plenty of supercar stores in the area as well.

Back