• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Sales figures > 1st of March

one of the unintended benefits of a weak selling Supercar...

Yeah, but it kinda sucks when everyone who sees the NSX wants to waste my time telling me how awesome it is and that they love the paint, design and technology. Recently a senior Google engineer in a GT4 followed me to a gas station to check out the NSX, talked my ear off. That never happened in my 911 Turbo even when brand new with paper plates. I'm thinking of de-badging the NSX so people leave me alone.

Yeah, but it kinda sucks when everyone who sees the NSX wants to waste my time telling me how awesome it is and that they love the paint, design and technology. Recently a senior Google engineer in a GT4 followed me to a gas station to check out the NSX, talked my ear off. That never happened in my 911 Turbo even when brand new with paper plates. I'm thinking of de-badging the NSX so people leave me alone.
It actually looks quite nice "de-badged" and with the chrome strip blacked out .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 4.24.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 4.24.34 PM.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
what's interesting to me is that the prospective buyers who drove the car didn't want to buy it afterward...

I don't know any numbers of any sales from the Monterey event or if any from the recent tour has sold
any. But I do know of two dealers that allowed a test drive, which both closed a deal.

Slap a Tesla badge on it. Nobody will give it a second look anymore. Those are as common around Silicon Valley as F-150s are in the flyover states.

I don't know any numbers of any sales from the Monterey event or if any from the recent tour has sold
any. But I do know of two dealers that allowed a test drive, which both closed a deal.

some of the potential buyers i knew of.. got some seat time and passed on purchasing. I asked them what price range they would even consider and they were saying 125k or so.

can you elaborate on what turned your mates off from buying the NSX after the test drives?

I've done one test drive.

potential customer is a current Ferrari owner.

Came away very impressed with the NSX.

However did not buy. Ultimately, he was not willing to give up future F-car allocations (he would sell his current 360 spider).

Unless he was stepping out of a 488, he should be VERY impressed with the test drive. I just hope the test drivers are instructed to put in Sport+, manually shift, keep revs up and do some WOT pulls. Otherwise, it will be hard to get a sense of just how capable the NSX is.

I've done one test drive.

potential customer is a current Ferrari owner.

Came away very impressed with the NSX.

However did not buy. Ultimately, he was not willing to give up future F-car allocations (he would sell his current 360 spider).

That's what he told you? He's worried about losing allocations, yet all he has is an old Modena? If he's waiting for the phone to ring saying they'll allow him to buy a new Superfast, he'd better not hold his breath. If you don't stay in their ecosystem by regularly buying whatever they come out with, you fall out of favor with them pretty fast.

If he thinks he needs an allocation to buy a California T, 488, or even the new GTC Lusso? Psh, just go down to a dealer and take one of the in stock units.

can you elaborate on what turned your mates off from buying the NSX after the test drives?

after the drive he felt like the car wasn't worth the asking (the one he drove was 188k MSRP i believe). Since he's in the market he said "IF I were to buy one i would pay 125k base for it and a fully loaded at 150k" but the test drive confirmed that he would rather have the 570s etc.

Not trying to stir things up but a lot of surrounding people i know that are/were in the market for a supercar in the 150-200 range, really had no desire to even look at the nsx. These people are car enthusiast and not those guys that just buy a supercar because of the "$$$" tag. I'm sure a drive might change their minds here & there but the first thing that needs to catch your attention is the feeling you get when seeing one, from there you decide if it drives the way you want. Personally I've driven in many cars that didn't catch my attention with their looks but drove amazing. I never purchased them because i want to be happy with both.

I do want to comment to all the new NSX owners on here, if you are super happy with your purchase then you shouldn't really be offended by fastaussies comments or anyone else bashing on the car. Since you are the few that know the "secret" feeling it gives you then that's all that matters. Some people tend to bash on my GT2 and saying its just a 911 Turbo but i truly know how special it is to me and just laugh at their comments.

Last edited:
i don't really bash the NSX, i just don't drink enough Honda Kool-aid to think it's the automotive equivalent of sliced bread. i can point out the good AND the bad aspects of the car, and the competition. and i stick up for the other cars that people like to bash ignorantly. i've driven each and every car in this segment, so i feel like i have a good baseline for comparisons with Supercars. and honestly, my personal favourite changes every new model cycle some times. i'm not particularly loyal to any one brand.

i've driven the new NSX, it's a very nice car, and i like it. but would i buy the NSX over a 570S, definitely not. your description and comments are very valid, which is why i asked. i'm sure i wasn't the only one who was curious. and i would agree with you on everything you just said. Supercars are emotional things, not rational. and anything emotional is obviously subjective.

as i've said before, i don't even mind the price of the NSX, even at $200,000. i think it's fine, and in line with the competition. but the car doesn't move me the way a Ferrari or Lamborghini does. that's why i wouldn't buy it. that's just my opinion, but weak NSX sales don't seem to be disproving it...

If he thinks he needs an allocation to buy a California T, 488, or even the new GTC Lusso? Psh, just go down to a dealer and take one of the in stock units.

View attachment 142767

umm, yeah mate. keep dreaming...

Ferrari's are "Sui generis" and not a helpful comparable car in terms of not having new, unsold limted-production cars on dealer floors at MSRP. That would be a catastrophic event for their entire strategy. No one else operates like this. If I could have purchased a 488 at MSRP in the first couple months of production, I would have. But at the real world price of $400K+ (when first released), it's not really in the same bracket as the NSX. Even now, low-milegae used ones are $50K over MSRP.

Frankly, even the 570S is a step above in terms of price point.
[MENTION=25269]fastaussie[/MENTION], I'm not offended by you comments, but you are clearly biased against the NSX. Bias is a synonym for opinion, so you're entitled to it.

Ferrari's are "Sui generis" and not a helpful comparable car in terms of not having new, unsold limted-production cars on dealer floors at MSRP. That would be a catastrophic event for their entire strategy. No one else operates like this. If I could have purchased a 488 at MSRP in the first couple months of production, I would have. But at the real world price of $400K+ (when first released), it's not really in the same bracket as the NSX. Even now, low-milegae used ones are $50K over MSRP.

@fastaussie, I'm not offended by you comments, but you are clearly biased against the NSX. Bias is a synonym for opinion, so you're entitled to it.
Chris, have you seen the black 488 that the guy in Orinda has been tooling around in? It's nice and all but it just wasn't one of those cars where I walk away from it with my head backwards.... Oh, and there are 9 488's for sale right now on flea bay with most under 1600 miles....

i don't really bash the NSX, i just don't drink enough Honda Kool-aid to think it's the automotive equivalent of sliced bread. i can point out the good AND the bad aspects of the car, and the competition. and i stick up for the other cars that people like to bash ignorantly. i've driven each and every car in this segment, so i feel like i have a good baseline for comparisons with Supercars. and honestly, my personal favourite changes every new model cycle some times. i'm not particularly loyal to any one brand.

i've driven the new NSX, it's a very nice car, and i like it. but would i buy the NSX over a 570S, definitely not. your description and comments are very valid, which is why i asked. i'm sure i wasn't the only one who was curious. and i would agree with you on everything you just said. Supercars are emotional things, not rational. and anything emotional is obviously subjective.

as i've said before, i don't even mind the price of the NSX, even at $200,000. i think it's fine, and in line with the competition. but the car doesn't move me the way a Ferrari or Lamborghini does. that's why i wouldn't buy it. that's just my opinion, but weak NSX sales don't seem to be disproving it...

View attachment 142767

umm, yeah mate. keep dreaming...

sorry fastaussie i didn't mean to make it sound like you bash on the car, i agree you have solid statements but for others it may sound more aggressive

Chris, have you seen the black 488 that the guy in Orinda has been tooling around in? It's nice and all but it just wasn't one of those cars where I walk away from it with my head backwards.... Oh, and there are 9 488's for sale right now on flea bay with most under 1600 miles....

yeah mate, used ones with miles. between $300,000 and $450,000 (and MSRP is $245,000!). there are no new ones in the country for sale.

i don't think black looks good on any car, especially something Italian. i like the white on red NSX though, best colour combo in my opinion...

sorry fastaussie i didn't mean to make it sound like you bash on the car, i agree you have solid statements but for others it may sound more aggressive

no worries at all mate, you're not offending me. i don't think i bash anything as such, just say it like it is for good or bad, for the NSX or anything else. which offends some people because they may not want to hear it. but such is life, and i'll still say it... :smile:

@fastaussie, I'm not offended by you comments, but you are clearly biased against the NSX. Bias is a synonym for opinion, so you're entitled to it.

read above... :wink:

p.s. 488's fetch ridiculous money, because it's a Ferrari. but there are 570s' for sale right now starting at $180,000. if any company builds a car to play in the Supercar school yard, all's fair. you can't use price point as an excuse. just bring your A-game.

i love how you chuck stuff at me like i work for McLaren. by the way, i don't. the 570S is just the funnest car i've driven.

have McLaren sold more than 365 cars in 10 months in America?

have McLaren sold more than 365 cars in 10 months in America?

I dunno. But did they sell more than 160,000 cars in America last year? Acura did.

Let me say this once again. It's our halo car. It was designed and produced for a greater good. That greater good was to develop new tech for the rest of our carlines. I haven't even received my first one yet, but I do believe I have presold every single MDX Sport Hybrid I have allocated for the rest of 2017MY. And I wouldn't have this new MDX to sell if I didn't have a new NSX in my showroom collecting dust.

I dunno. But did they sell more than 160,000 cars in America last year? Acura did.

Let me say this once again. It's our halo car. It was designed and produced for a greater good. That greater good was to develop new tech for the rest of our carlines. I haven't even received my first one yet, but I do believe I have presold every single MDX Sport Hybrid I have allocated for the rest of 2017MY. And I wouldn't have this new MDX to sell if I didn't have a new NSX in my showroom collecting dust.

Hmm... Didn't the RLX Hybrid come out before the 2nd Gen NSX? Wasn't that vehicle the actual testbed for some of the technology used on the 2nd gen NSX and thus the MDX Sport Hybrid?

Lexus has had a hybrid RX350 for years while Acura stood still with their 2nd gen MDX, so regardless of the NSX2.0 the MDX Hybrid would have happened anyways given the direction that market segment has been leaning for years.

I have my doubts that a typical buyer for a MDX would be interested in the MDX Sport Hybrid because it is been marketed as having some kind of relationship to the NSX2.0.

yes, the RLX hybrid has been out since MY14, but that's no fun to say in advertising material. LOL.

as a buyer, i'm more interested in the DCT and the different suspension that comes with the hybrid MDX than the hybrid system. the improved city mpg is just a bonus.

Hmm... Didn't the RLX Hybrid come out before the 2nd Gen NSX? Wasn't that vehicle the actual testbed for some of the technology used on the 2nd gen NSX and thus the MDX Sport Hybrid?

Lexus has had a hybrid RX350 for years while Acura stood still with their 2nd gen MDX, so regardless of the NSX2.0 the MDX Hybrid would have happened anyways given the direction that market segment has been leaning for years.

I have my doubts that a typical buyer for a MDX would be interested in the MDX Sport Hybrid because it is been marketed as having some kind of relationship to the NSX2.0.

I doubt the typical MDX buyer will care that the same "DNA" in the NSX goes into the MDX Sport Hybrid (though Acura will certainly play that angle with some of the marketing). They will care that it adds only $1500 over a conventional MDX.

Yes, the RLX Sport Hybrid came out first. But don't forget that the NSX was developed quite awhile ago. The electrified portion of the powertrain was good to go before 2014. They went ahead and stuck those bits in the RLX and released it ahead of the NSX because the NSX had to go back to the drawing board to get a clean sheet rework of the engine and transmission along with the engineering involved to turn the engine to a longitudinal layout.

Had the much more advanced TMU and hybrid goodies from the NSX not been developed, then this MDX Sport Hybrid would simply be the MDX Hybrid (and probably not AWD) with the setup from the Honda Accord Hybrid. If it even existed at all.

as a buyer, i'm more interested in the DCT and the different suspension that comes with the hybrid MDX than the hybrid system. the improved city mpg is just a bonus.

Anything is better than that horrendous 9 speed that we've got now. The 7DCT will be much better than that thing. Hopefully the 2018MY brings in the new 10 speed that the Odyssey just got for the regular MDX.

The 5-6mpg improvement is more than a bonus. That's something that pays for itself in actually a pretty short amount of time. Huge mileage increase, more power, better handling...all for $1500 more? We'll sell every one of them they make.

I doubt the typical MDX buyer will care that the same "DNA" in the NSX goes into the MDX Sport Hybrid (though Acura will certainly play that angle with some of the marketing). They will care that it adds only $1500 over a conventional MDX.

Yes, the RLX Sport Hybrid came out first. But don't forget that the NSX was developed quite awhile ago. The electrified portion of the powertrain was good to go before 2014. They went ahead and stuck those bits in the RLX and released it ahead of the NSX because the NSX had to go back to the drawing board to get a clean sheet rework of the engine and transmission along with the engineering involved to turn the engine to a longitudinal layout.

Had the much more advanced TMU and hybrid goodies from the NSX not been developed, then this MDX Sport Hybrid would simply be the MDX Hybrid (and probably not AWD) with the setup from the Honda Accord Hybrid. If it even existed at all.

We are getting a bit out of topic here but since we are talking about the MDX.

I guess it comes down to what the product planners really wanted to do with the 3rd gen MDX. Ever since the 2nd gen MDX was introduced with SH-AWD in 2007 the top range model would be expected to be SH-AWD.

Given that Acura finally decided to release a FWD only version of the 3rd gen MDX, it probably made sense to also incorporate the e-SHAWD on the MDX.

Without knowing the inner workings of the Acura/Honda brain trust I can't tell if they were indeed thinking about sharing the technology found on the NSX2.0 down the line or wether or not it was the other way around, sharing the hybrid technology which was already planned for their future Acura lineup with the NSX2.0.

One of their direct competitors the RX350-RX450H (4th gen RX) already came out with an AWD hybrid version back in MY2013 with 4 motors IIRC.
http://www.lexus.com/documents/brochures/2013/2013-Lexus-RX-Brochure.pdf

The previous 2nd/3rd gen RX had what is equivalent to what you described as the Accord Hybrid way of doing hybrids.

So relatively speaking Acura/Honda has been late, given the market segment and the loyal MDX fan base I am not surprised that there is pent up demand for the MDX Sport Hybrid.

Glad to hear that the MDX Sport Hybrid will be selling well, glad to see that Honda/Acura is able to get things right in what is supposed to be their bread and butter market segment.

Back