• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SOS Stage 1 + Twin Turbo Dyno

Recently picked up my car from Science of Speed and had some major upgrades done!

Engine related things:

• Stage 1 Engine Build - link
  • SOS Twin Turbo
  • AEM Infinity ECU
  • E85 capable
  • SOS Sport 350 Clutch
  • SOS GT Spec Exhaust (the quieter one) w/ GESI Cats to handle the heat
  • Standard maintenance: LMA conversion, new timing belt, etc.

Dyno graph:

• E85 (blue lines) = A little over 550hp/425ft lb.
  • 91 (orange lines) = 480hp/390 ft lb.
  • E85 provides ~70hp improvement
  • Boost: 5psi by 2500rpm, full boost 4000 rpm

dyno_.jpg

Overall, I'm really happy with the results. To be honest, the car is scary fast now, and I have only taken it past 7000rpm once (i haven't driven it that much in the last 2 weeks). The acceleration feels like my Tesla P85, except a lot louder. The car drives great as a daily driver around town, and I haven't given a second thought to reliability.

Some misc notes:
  • I had a CTSC on before, and the twin turbo suits me better. Torque response is really good with the TT and I don't think the CTSC has much of an edge over the tt.
  • The Sport 350 clutch is easy to use. Pedal is not much stiffer than stock, SOS says 10% over stock, it's probably a little more than that. Really drivable in traffic. They were able to rebuild my old Sport 275 clutch which for some reason felt very very stiff.
  • GT-Spec exhaust note is deeper than the Comptech exhaust and slightly quieter. After a 6 hour drive to/from SOS, my ears hurt w/ the Comptech exhaust, with the GT-spec exhaust, my ears were fine.
  • E85 is nice, I can fill up with any mix of 91/E85. E85 right now is 25% cheaper than 91.
  • E85 hwy mileage = 22mph, 91 mpg 26mpg
  • I had a 52mm GaugeArt gauge installed, it's really nice not having a plethora of gauges all over the place.
  • Traction control is handled through the AEM Infinity unit now. SOS demo'd it for me and it works well. Previously with CTSC traction control was disabled because I had an AEM V1 before.
  • AEM fuel pump is quieter than the walbro 255
  • I think the engine bay is much cleaner now without the CTSC. It looks stock except for the blow off valve.
  • May have to dial down the boost a bit :D

One last note about Science of Speed: I think they are by far one of the best performance shops I've ever dealt with. I think the key here is that they actually respond to email/phone in a timely manner. They send out weekly updates and kept me in the loop of next steps. My car was there over Thanksgiving and Christmas, so it took a bit longer than usual, but they didn't rush it, and I didn't want them to either.

Last edited:
This is awesome. I just blew my motor this week on an off the shelf ctsc system. If all goes well and I move back to Florida this year, I will probably go this route. If I stay here in California, I am stuck with a upgraded but still supercharged engine.

This is awesome. I just blew my motor this week on an off the shelf ctsc system. If all goes well and I move back to Florida this year, I will probably go this route. If I stay here in California, I am stuck with a upgraded but still supercharged engine.

Not a bad thing. Initially, I was going to keep boost levels lower (8-10psi) and having a built motor would give me peace of mind that it could handle lower boost levels for the next 100k miles or major timing belt service.

And, if your CTSC is busted, you could get the SOS SC and pass off the SOS SC for smog. I think the SOS unit gives more power.

Last edited:
Not a bad thing. Initially, I was going to keep boost levels lower (8-10psi) and having a built motor would give me peace of mind that it could handle lower boost levels for the next 100k miles or major timing belt service.

And, if your CTSC is busted, you could get the SOS SC and pass off the SOS SC for smog. I think the SOS unit gives more power.
Question, the engine build services at sos is for labor included right? Or is that just part cost? Obviously, installation of TT is extra, but I am just pricing out full engine builds.

Question, the engine build services at sos is for labor included right? Or is that just part cost? Obviously, installation of TT is extra, but I am just pricing out full engine builds.

The engine build price does not include remove and re-installation of motor. So, while it's out do everything!

The engine build price does not include remove and re-installation of motor. So, while it's out do everything!

How much was the removal and installation if you don't mind me asking? I plan to have the stage 1 rebuild and transmission swapped along with infinity/flex fuel as well. Trying to budget the labor costs and tune costs since those are dependent on work being done. It sounds like your project is very similar to what I want to do (except I'm staying SC for CA smog).

How much was the removal and installation if you don't mind me asking? I plan to have the stage 1 rebuild and transmission swapped along with infinity/flex fuel as well. Trying to budget the labor costs and tune costs since those are dependent on work being done. It sounds like your project is very similar to what I want to do (except I'm staying SC for CA smog).
How will you pass smog on infinity stand alone? Or is the sc just to pass a visual inspection? Love to know, as I want to go infinity as well. PM me if needed.

How will you pass smog on infinity stand alone? Or is the sc just to pass a visual inspection? Love to know, as I want to go infinity as well. PM me if needed.

If you're pre 1995 and have OBD-1 then they don't check the ecu. One thing that makes it difficult to pass is that aftermarket ecus don't work with the EGR valve. Supposedly you can change the tune of the car to pass smog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're pre 1995 and have OBD-1 then they don't check the ecu. One thing that makes it difficult to pass is that aftermarket ecus don't work with the EGR valve. Supposedly you can change the tune of the car to pass smog.

Was about to say this, I have a '91 so there's no OBD2 port for them to plug into, it should just be a visual inspection and sniffer test, which you can tune for.

Jinks, sorry to hear about your motor. I always followed you on here. why don't you just take it back to shad. I hear he's the man. Btw didn't he install your CTSC. Hope everything goes well

Last edited:
Getting a shop to give you updates is key. A lot don't give updates and when you ask for them they either don't reply or make an excuse why nothing has been done. I've never understood that about the car industry, all you need to do is communicate and you're one step above the rest.

With that said SOS has by far the best communication I've ever dealt with between their attitude, phone hours, and also overall willingness to help.

SOS has helped me out a ton in the past now that I think about it.

peiserg,

does your motor have billet main caps? I'm trying to figure out what my pauter titanium rod, benson-sleeved motor can handle.

Hi Mac Attack,

I believe the car has the factor crankshaft. I'll post my power/dyno results hopefully soon.

you know it has been so many years since i've thought about my build (that's what happens when it's trouble free i guess...) that I couldn't tell you anymore. I know for sure I have the "SOS Stage II" for the 3.2l motor. AEM standalone. SOS twin turbo package with every bell and whistle you could get at the time. Flex fuel. Monster cooling system.

4 year update:

Time flies! All systems in great shape. Dyno results are same from 4 years ago, compression is good. The turbo system and related components have been maintenance free. I couldn't have asked for a better system.

Notable things:
* Driven ~8000 miles in last 4 years.
* Mix of E85 and 91 octane (usually 2 fillups with E85, then 91, not for any particular reason)
* I upgraded radiators recently from Mishimoto to MASiV because I was seeing high temps during long canyon runs.
* Catalytic converters that I got from SOS started blowing chunks, had them replaced with same kind.

Nice! Good to read other success stories. I have had the SOS TT kit on a stock 3.2 engine, AEM Infinity 6, and SOS 350 clutch for a year and around 2000 miles.

When I go in for my next timing belt late next year, I may consider having the SOS stage 1 engine build for peace of mind. In the meantime, enjoying staring at my car (it’s winter here, I can’t drive it :( ).

Thanks again for your update.

Back