• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Steering wheel install

Just looking for some pointers, I picked up the MOMO R35 steering wheel for my 91 and just wanted to make sure I have what I need. Is there a special adapter I need or one that people with this steering wheel would recommend? Also I was hopping for a way to keep my cruse control so I'm guessing I would need to make a custom set up for that or if there is a kit u guys know of. Any info would be great, thanks.

You need a hub adapter specific to the car and a quick connect coupler or a standard coupler to get it at or near oem range of reach. ProcaR has a cruise control kit.

I think Sparco has a plate and buttons that you can use for CC as well.

If you want to use a QD hub look at this illustration I put together.

baec117be5bb7fe1b09fe0cb067c3ecc.jpg

MOMO discontinued their hub for NSXs many years ago. But The NSX Shop (find them in the Vendors forum) has the Honda OEM NSX-R hub, which is actually a MOMO-made part and is identical. They also have all the additional parts you'll need to make the horn work and to prevent the air bag light from staying on. Everything but the horn button. The S, R and Zanardi models had specific horn buttons (very expensive) but you can use the button that came with your new steering wheel. Or A.S. Motorsports (also in the Vendors forum) has their own almost-the-same horn button kit that's very affordable. Don't worry about ordering from Japan or Europe, both these sources are great.

I'm doing a swap to a MOMO Monte Carlo steering wheel, which is almost identical to the R wheel, using the OEM hub kit from The NSX Shop and the horn button that came with the wheel. The installation is a bit of work, but the hub kit comes with photo directions (text in Japanese), and you can find great directions in English and photos here:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.p...teering-wheel-with-OEM-boss&p=58209#post58209

The OEM hub kit is very complete and you don't have to fabricate anything. In any case, you will lose your airbag, but you know that. The cruise control can still be activated with a single hidden switch; Kaz outlines that in the link above.

Also, if you don't want to include a quick disconnect hub, MOMO (and Sparco, and others) make hub extensions of various thicknesses.

Last edited:
Here are photos of SOME of the parts that come with the hub "kit" from The NSX Shop, if you order the complete hub with kit. It includes literally everything you'd need, including zip ties, electrical connectors, wire harness tubing, electrical contact grease for the back plate, steering column nut Especially useful are the plug-in air bag resistor and the rear hub contact plate shown below.

EDIT: I deleted the photo of the box with the part number. That part number was for an NSX-R/NA2 shift boot, but it was the box the parts came in. Not sure what was going on there.

Last edited:

Also, if you don't want to include a quick disconnect hub, MOMO (and Sparco, and others) make hub extensions of various thicknesses.

Hey [MENTION=25720]Wavey1[/MENTION] - I'm looking to install a mugen steering wheel soon and am considering getting the full hub kit from the nsx shop. the note above you made, are you saying that the steering wheel might be a little too far away without a hub extension? I do want to get a quick disconnect hub, but am concerned that adding the quick disconnect hub to the oem nsxr hub, might make the steering wheel too close to me instead lol. thanks in advance for the insight!

I *THINK* the NSX-R hub with a flatter-dish MOMO wheel, or similar, might end up farther from the driver's seat than the OEM wheel. I haven't installed this setup yet so I'm not sure, but that's been my experience with MOMO hubs and wheels in a number of other cars (Porsches, BMWs, Saabs). I usually ended up with a 1/2" spacer to get it right. I guess your situation will depend on what quick-release you use and where you want the wheel to be.

I *THINK* the NSX-R hub with a flatter-dish MOMO wheel, or similar, might end up farther from the driver's seat than the OEM wheel. I haven't installed this setup yet so I'm not sure, but that's been my experience with MOMO hubs and wheels in a number of other cars (Porsches, BMWs, Saabs). I usually ended up with a 1/2" spacer to get it right. I guess your situation will depend on what quick-release you use and where you want the wheel to be.

ahhh ok. thats what im thinking too but was wondering what others' experiences were like. thanks!

ahhh ok. thats what im thinking too but was wondering what others' experiences were like. thanks!

I'd like to hear too.

Back