• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

and the competition steps it up already - there's a new McLaren & Lambo almost here..

The hurracan is significantly faster. Look at the speed in the 1/4. It would need 100 more hp and 400 less lbs to get to that whisker... ;)

I firmly believe they can get another 50hp easy from the motor.
And, why can't they also have more power out of the NSX's 3 electric motors à la Tesla P100D?

Because that Tesla has, well, a 100kwh battery. And the NSX's battery pack is less than a tenth of that capacity.
Then put the car on a diet and as someone else stated: Increase the gasoline engine's power.
Hennessey Performance is promising a wide range of NSX upgrades .... Including uprated twin turbos, stainless steel exhaust upgrades, intercooler upgrades, etc.
If those cottage industry guys can do that, surely Honda's R&D can also.

Then put the car on a diet and as someone else stated: Increase the gasoline engine's power.
Hennessey Performance is promising a wide range of NSX upgrades .... Including uprated twin turbos, stainless steel exhaust upgrades, intercooler upgrades, etc.
If those cottage industry guys can do that, surely Honda's R&D can also.

that's always the quandary with Honda. they can do a lot of things, but they don't...

Come on man. You have all those cars, surely you know that answer.
I know very little regarding hybrid set ups and battery power sources.

I know very little regarding hybrid set ups and battery power sources.

I would suggest doing a little research so you can understand why it won't perform like a P100D. (I wish it would too!)

The total output of the electric motors is on 73HP in the NSX.

I would suggest doing a little research so you can understand why it won't perform like a P100D. (I wish it would too!)

The total output of the electric motors is on 73HP in the NSX.
So, NetViper, what is your prediction/suggestion on how they will get a bit more parity (power-wise) with their competition?
They need to be more in line with the rest of the pack. I keep reading comments elsewhere, that the NSX is the 'slowest supercar presently for sale'. In my humble opinion, that is not good for sales in this $200k category! :)

So, NetViper, what is your prediction/suggestion on how they will get a bit more parity (power-wise) with their competition?
They need to be more in line with the rest of the pack. I keep reading comments elsewhere, that the NSX is the 'slowest supercar presently for sale'. In my humble opinion, that is not good for sales in this $200k category! :)

I am not really an expert on how it works to be able to recommend too much.

I think they need another 50HP out of the motor at least. I think they need to get more out of the batteries, but I don't really know what is possible. I feel like they need to be under 3 to 60 just for marketing.

The reality is they went a different approach than everyone else. Some like it, some don't. Some might say a 570 is much faster for the money, but the 570S can't cruise around in silent mode like KITT. :)

Most people buying these cars will NEVER drive them near their potential.

I think we will see some mods to put the NSX well up over 650HP from the motor. That should be interesting. :)

Part of the problem with the performance and possibly why the car acts oddly at the track is the weight....with two american adults and full tank the car is over 4k pounds, likely 4200 lbs.....that is a lot of mass pressing down on those tires.I guess the engineers were hoping the emotor torque would help.

I am not really an expert on how it works to be able to recommend too much.

I think they need another 50HP out of the motor at least. I think they need to get more out of the batteries, but I don't really know what is possible. I feel like they need to be under 3 to 60 just for marketing.

The reality is they went a different approach than everyone else. Some like it, some don't. Some might say a 570 is much faster for the money, but the 570S can't cruise around in silent mode like KITT. :)

Most people buying these cars will NEVER drive them near their potential.

I think we will see some mods to put the NSX well up over 650HP from the motor. That should be interesting. :)

Increasing HP can improve the already quick acceleration numbers but it would do little for the handling.
Unless a car is light, no matter how much power it is putting down, its mass will be felt in the corners, in transition, in breaking etc.
Unfortunately Honda have gone the way of the heavy battery and that just makes nimble handling very difficult to achieve especially with electric motors providing torque to the front wheels that takes away from the steering feel.

Lots of power and lots of weight....the GTR did it the old fashioned way....the NSX replacement is doing it the hybrid way...but weight is weight and it affects the way a car handles.

I'm wondering how Lamborghini is planning to solve this weight/power conundrum? Lamborghini is also talking about an all-electric supercar in their future line-up. Possibly ... Newer, lighter batteries are in development? :confused:
In the meantime, I will wait to see what an "R" version of the NSX platform brings. :)

Maybe the tire manufacturers need to step up their compound formulation to provide consistent grip with high performance sports cars over 2 tons...

I'm wondering how Lamborghini is planning to solve this weight/power conundrum? Lamborghini is also talking about an all-electric supercar in their future line-up. Possibly ... Newer, lighter batteries are in development? :confused:
In the meantime, I will wait to see what an "R" version of the NSX platform brings. :)

Hummmm, I am a lil bit uneasy at the idea that the Italians are adopting battery and high amperage electricity to their line up. I mean, Italian cars are well known for catching fire without all that jazz. I know the La fahrahrah already has it and I have seen videos of it smoking like a Californian degenerate before after a quick zip around the street. I'd step lightly though, wait for several production years after the first. Just thinking out loud here. Never owned a Lamb.

Part of the problem with the performance and possibly why the car acts oddly at the track is the weight....with two american adults and full tank the car is over 4k pounds, likely 4200 lbs.....that is a lot of mass pressing down on those tires.I guess the engineers were hoping the emotor torque would help.
Hopefully as battery tech improves the weight will go down, but they have a long way to go.

If Honda can do 600hp + 73 electric at 3500 lbs we have a winner!

Ted already said there's no "Type R" in the works...

Hopefully as battery tech improves the weight will go down, but they have a long way to go.

If Honda can do 600hp + 73 electric at 3500 lbs we have a winner!

that isn't happening any time soon either. besides, there are already several Supercars which better those numbers right now. and by the time the NSX achieves them, everyone else will be that much more powerful and lighter...

Hummmm, I am a lil bit uneasy at the idea that the Italians are adopting battery and high amperage electricity to their line up. I mean, Italian cars are well known for catching fire without all that jazz. I know the La fahrahrah already has it and I have seen videos of it smoking like a Californian degenerate before after a quick zip around the street. I'd step lightly though, wait for several production years after the first. Just thinking out loud here. Never owned a Lamb.

They will have a new plug-in hybrid out shortly in their Urus SUV, so possibly this is their testbed for the future hybrid supercar technology?:cool:
Lamborghini open to electric supercar, says CEO

Ted already said there's no "Type R" in the works...

that isn't happening any time soon either. besides, there are already several Supercars which better those numbers right now. and by the time the NSX achieves them, everyone else will be that much more powerful and lighter...

Sorry mate, sometimes I forget you know everything. Just for the record, how many $200k cars have 673hp and weigh 3500 lbs?

Last edited:
I believe the no can do regarding the NSX R has to do with investment choices.

Acura blew a bunch of coin getting the NSX to market and must move on to get the new RLX to market as that kind of vehicle is what their business is about.

Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, Porsche are generally focused on developing sports cars (OK, Porsche has some other vehicles that have proven to provide cash to dump into sports car r and d) so they keep bringing iterations of models to market.

well said Bricks. Honda dumped a load of money into the NSX, and it's looking like it'll be a good while before they begin to see any return on that investment.

besides, it's also just not their way. they generally like a, "one model do-it-all" approach for their Supercar...

Funny that some of you think there's nothing more in the works. Whether it's called Type-R, Type-S, or something else, who knows. But make no mistake, work on something more started over a year ago as they were wrapping up the car that's already released. There are no doubt built prototypes of this car already out in the wild logging real world test miles.

Now, whether upper management at Honda actually green lights a release once the team has a "finished" car to show them, and they go through cost analysis and so on? That's the real mystery. But it was no mystery to me that they'd be working on something more.

So what is a very new release at Honda? The next generation CR-V just came out. They already have the general design of the next CR-V (not the mid cycle refresh) signed off on and already a rough idea of powertrain and even how they want to put it together already. The engineers still have about six years to get it together and complete the car. This is also why the RLX hybrid was around three years ago already. The fancy electric bits had been developed for the NSX over half a dozen years ago.

Back