• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

and the competition steps it up already - there's a new McLaren & Lambo almost here..

well said Bricks. Honda dumped a load of money into the NSX, and it's looking like it'll be a good while before they begin to see any return on that investment.

At this point, it doesn't look like Honda, and most definitely the dealers, are not going to break even for the investment for this car.

But other than the NSX specific special tools which are maybe $6-7k, all the rest of the tools/equipment they made us buy for the car (like a new $50k alignment rig) can be used on other carlines. And that is exactly why Honda will do with much of the things they developed for the NSX. The MDX is a bread and butter model for Acura. The hybrid version is shipping right now. Much of the DNA in the NSX goes into this new MDX. And that will sell. A 10% premium for something with more performance and a huge boost in miles per gallon? Yeah, the dealers will literally circle the wagons around their showroom star dust collector that is the NSX. Would I have been happier if the NSX was getting huge markups over sticker? Of course. But it took that car to make this new MDX Sport Hybrid and some other vehicles to come in the next few years.

Funny that some of you think there's nothing more in the works. Whether it's called Type-R, Type-S, or something else, who knows. But make no mistake, work on something more started over a year ago as they were wrapping up the car that's already released. There are no doubt built prototypes of this car already out in the wild logging real world test miles.

Now, whether upper management at Honda actually green lights a release once the team has a "finished" car to show them, and they go through cost analysis and so on? That's the real mystery. But it was no mystery to me that they'd be working on something more.

So what is a very new release at Honda? The next generation CR-V just came out. They already have the general design of the next CR-V (not the mid cycle refresh) signed off on and already a rough idea of powertrain and even how they want to put it together already. The engineers still have about six years to get it together and complete the car. This is also why the RLX hybrid was around three years ago already. The fancy electric bits had been developed for the NSX over half a dozen years ago.

what you've just stated is a normal development cycle for every successive model...

The Master has pointed to the real play in Honda's investment.

Let's use the Lexus LFA as an example, $800 million in development costs, $750,000 each to build and $375,000 MSRP. OK, that look bad.
But wait, use the high tech dash stuff in the IS, RC and new LS, use some of what you learned to build the LC, jump start the F and F Sport branding, implement some CF components into other cars, and at some point a big mess is turned into brand improvement. In truth, Lexus got way behind in power trains due to the LFA investment but the car is so cool, we just thank Akio for supporting it.

what you've just stated is a normal development cycle for every successive model...

Of course. But if you put something like this out there....

"Ted already said there's no "Type R" in the works."

...then it seems like you don't know how the game is played.

Last edited:
and yet i obviously do know how the game is played.

you're talking about the next successive model 4 to 6 (or more for Honda?) years down the line. these guys are talking about a "Type R" high performance variant. of which it has been said many times, there will not be...

and yet i obviously do know how the game is played.

you're talking about the next successive model 4 to 6 (or more for Honda?) years down the line. these guys are talking about a "Type R" high performance variant. of which it has been said many times, there will not be...

Yes but look who you're asking. Part of his job as the lead guy on the car is to represent Honda's best interests. So as much as he may be an engineer and project manager, he's also a salesman. And one of the cardinal rules of retail is to sell what you have on hand.

The pair of GT3 cars that are getting factory backing...those cars are very different from the road car and while I have my doubts that the "Type-R" will be stripped of the electrics, it certain hints at one way they can go. I personally think it will be the tried and true more power, less weight, more aggressive aero, bigger tires approach.

that wasn't me, some other Primers in other threads said they had personally spoken with him at various events. i am relating what they said.

i don't discount that there could be a GT3 or Type R variant at some point. and while i don't see it as likely, i definitely wouldn't expect it any time soon...

that wasn't me, some other Primers in other threads said they had personally spoken with him at various events. i am relating what they said.

i don't discount that there could be a GT3 or Type R variant at some point. and while i don't see it as likely, i definitely wouldn't expect it any time soon...

I'd be surprised if they waited much past 2019 to make it happen.

Sorry mate, sometimes I forget you know everything. Just for the record, how many $200k cars have 673hp and weigh 3500 lbs?

C7 Z06 is 3524 pounds with 650 HP and costs $80K. And is faster than the 570S. So that's one.

And it's not even ugly anymore. Plus you get two years of free service and 5 year/100K powertrain warranty, so reliability and repair costs is not an issue-- of course, you could simply buy a "spare" for another $80K (plus an Accord) and still be under $200K

Last edited:
C7 Z06 is 3524 pounds with 650 HP and costs $80K. And is faster than the 570S. So that's one.

And it's not even ugly anymore. Plus you get two years of free service and 5 year/100K powertrain warranty, so reliability and repair costs is not an issue-- of course, you could simply by a "spare" for another $80K (plus an Accord) and still be under $200K

Yes, but I said how many 200K cars, not 80K cars... ;)

The Z06 is pretty much impossible to beat in price for performance. I was surprised how different it sounds from the C6 Z06. Much more Italian. Loved it.

I love the interior though. They were in desperate need of a new interior lay out.

I like mclaren but the 720S is ugly as sin. Busy busy busy. Sure sounds like every other mclaren though.
[urrl]

We saw that car. The lights.... ugh... they are ugly. Nobody thought they looked good. Loved the rest of the car though.

Of course. But if you put something like this out there....

"Ted already said there's no "Type R" in the works."

...then it seems like you don't know how the game is played.

Yep. You will almost NEVER hear a Honda project leader, product planner, or anyone with a position of authority ever confirm a future model like a Type-R before it's been officially announced. I've been to multiple product launches and they won't even be drawn on talking about possibilities of different body styles sometimes.

They may give hints about 'future variants' or what have you, but Ted is very, very unlikely to confirm a Type-R if you ask him outright. If there is to be a Type-R it would probably drop in year 3 or so.

I think the first na1 type R was 93

^ It was actually '92 so just 2 yrs later...but like...out the door on the streets later.

"Honda decided in 1992 to produce a version of the NSX specifically modified for superior on-track performance at the expense of customary creature comforts... ...Honda produced a limited number of 483 NSX-R variants exclusively for the Japanese domestic market (JDM). Factory optional items as air conditioning, Bose stereo system, Carbon fiber trim center console with Carbon fiber door trim and starting in 1994 Championship White painted larger wheels (16" front wheels and 17" rear wheels) were available for a hefty premium. Production ended in September 1995." – from wiki

I find it hard to imagine that the Gen 2 NSX engineering / product development effort is a "one and done" affair. I assume they have a few more tricks up their sleeve in terms of performance and/or refresh. The timing of release of the next variant will be impacted by sales of the launch edition, but they will hold cards close to the vest for a while.

They have a range of choices from (i) fold up tent, admit defeat and go home (end product development but make NSX for another year or two to partially recoup investment), (ii) make "in-line" improvements a-la the early Gallardos, adding powertrain enhancements without a re-badging or (iii) hold fire for a MY2019 "Type R" variant.

I find it hard to imagine that the Gen 2 NSX engineering / product development effort is a "one and done" affair. I assume they have a few more tricks up their sleeve in terms of performance and/or refresh. The timing of release of the next variant will be impacted by sales of the launch edition, but they will hold cards close to the vest for a while.

They have a range of choices from (i) fold up tent, admit defeat and go home (end product development but make NSX for another year or two to partially recoup investment), (ii) make "in-line" improvements a-la the early Gallardos, adding powertrain enhancements without a re-badging or (iii) hold fire for a MY2019 "Type R" variant.

I think the Gen 2 car will be around for awhile because the sales goals for the Gen 2 model are far more realistic than for the Gen 1 car. Sales will be slow but realatively steady especially when production of the base cars begins. If thanks to you early adopters the car is proven to have the level of performance that it has without the brain damage of constant trips to the dealer for warranty work there will be a market for it.

Last edited:
I think the Gen 2 car will be around for awhile because the sales goals for the Gen 2 model are far more realistic than for the Gen 1 car. Sales will be slow but realatively steady especially when production of the base cars begins. If thanks to you early adopters the car is proven to have the level of performance that it has without the brain damage of constant trips to the dealer for warranty work there will be a market for it.
the Gen 1's original goals was 6000 cars per year and finishing production after 8yrs

It's not one and done cause the same setup is already coming out in the MDX. http://www.autoblog.com/2017/03/15/2017-acura-mdx-sport-hybrid-pricing-official/

Maybe he was referring to the F1 Le Mans in the video? That is a beautiful car!

Back