• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Heat Control Valve/Rod- How Hard to Access?

My heat gets warm but not real hot, even set at the 90 degree max. I think the car is warming up properly- new thermostat 11/14 about 7500 miles ago, temp gauge goes up to one notch below the middle, where it always has after 7-10 minutes of driving. I thought maybe the control mechanism (I'm not sure of the correct terminology) wasn't allowing the heat control valve to fully open, and was wondering if you can get to it easily to check,or if it takes some disassembly to get to it.

Last edited:
I think the coolant valve proper is fairly easy to get to - cable operated device on the left side of the heater / blower assembly as I recall. Check to make sure the cable is not slipping. The cable actuator mechanism - not so easy to get to.

I would normally suggest checking the thermostat; but, I see you have addressed that issue already.

Last edited:
I think the coolant valve proper is fairly easy to get to - cable operated device on the left side of the heater / blower assembly as I recall. Check to make sure the cable is not slipping. The cable actuator mechanism - not so easy to get to.

I would normally suggest checking the thermostat; but, I see you have addressed that issue already.

It may also be a CCU control issue. The operation of the valve is determined by proper operation of the CCU. Even the door flaps are ultimately controlled by the CCU. Has you CCU been repaired by Brian or other sources?
Turn to full heat and record the cables position; and turn to full cold and record its position.

It may also be a CCU control issue. The operation of the valve is determined by proper operation of the CCU. Even the door flaps are ultimately controlled by the CCU. Has you CCU been repaired by Brian or other sources?
Turn to full heat and record the cables position; and turn to full cold and record its position.

Excellent point - there is a procedure in the service manual under control valve replacement which discusses the correct setting / clamping of the cable which actuates the valve at the valve mechanism.

Thanks for the suggestion, but Brian K did my CCU in 2012.

Excellent point - there is a procedure in the service manual under control valve replacement which discusses the correct setting / clamping of the cable which actuates the valve at the valve mechanism.

That is on Page 22-67 of the 1991 service manual, pretty easy....

HTH,
LarryB

Back